Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Rotor tracking suggestions? >

Rotor tracking suggestions?

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Rotor tracking suggestions?

Old 02-19-2003, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor tracking suggestions?

I am open to suggestions regarding how to best view the rotor to look for proper tracking.

I've used black tape on the white rotors as suggested, different width pieces of tape, and changed one to red but I simply cannnot differentiate between the two rotors. I see some vibration at low speeds that moderate with RPM increase but don't feel comfortble that it is tracking.

I have considered shooting with my digital camera but doubt I can get enpugh shutter speed. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:07 AM

You could try looking at the blade track when you have it hovering around eye level, or you could weigh the heli down and spin the rotor up to hover power and look at the tracking. Both methods seem to work for me.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:56 PM

Len,

Are you sure the vibration is a tracking problem anyway?

It might be

1) blade balance rather than track - so add a piece of tape to one blade and if vibration gets worse switch it to the other, keep adding tape until the vibbration is minimised.

2) non-aligned bearing blocks. This one really worked for me after someone on Ezone suggested it. Loosen the three bolts that hold each bearing block a little so there is some "give". With the heli held down spin the rotor up to speed (but not so much as it actually lifts). Now stop the rotor and tighten the bolts. This got rid of a major vibration in my Corona as it makes the rotational axis of the two blocks exactly perpendicular and prevents the shaft binding.

Cliff
Old 02-20-2003, 12:29 AM

I've tried viewing from many angles, including actually laying on the ground (I know, not safe). I simply have not been able to differentiate between the two. Maybe they are tracking.

The vibration is not acute but I did want to insure tracking before I began all the tweaks. I still may try the digital camera.

Thanks.