Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Another newbie joins the LMH club

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Another newbie joins the LMH club

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Crash Alaska

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie joins the LMH club

I just ordered a corona 120 today I've been lurking in this and other LMH/heli beginner forums for a while now. Thank to all of you for your posts. It really helped me in the decision as to which heli I should purchase. Once I start on construction I'll probably be posting the typical idiot newbie questions here. It seems like many of you are very knowledgable and helpful. TIA

Crash
Old 05-20-2003, 11:04 PM
oosel
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Another newbie joins the LMH club

[i] I'll probably be posting the typical idiot newbie questions here. [/B]
I learned a long time ago the only stupid question is the one you dont ask lol. I ask about all kinds of stuff on here all the time.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:22 PM
colstonman

Also one thing about your Carona, if you have the monny, got the hacker brushless setup rite away as I am grounded due to brushes motor complications and a lot of people say it's the best decision they have ever made for their Carona.

Also because it's so heavy due to the batery, I recomend you make youself a tailboom guard to prevent damaging tailboom strikes. I have gone through a tailboom within about 20-30 flights because I am so enthusiastis with my flying style.

For what it's worth,
Old 05-20-2003, 11:37 PM
darthdrk

Welcome crash.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:03 AM
oosel

colstonman what is a good brushless setup for the carona? what motor and speed controll is everyone using. i ben looking but not sure which one to get.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:50 AM
tenover

Default Brushless Setup

I'm new to the Corona also, and I bought the Asto 020 w/ESC combo from Aeromicro.com. Good price, Excellent service, and Astro Flight is in California, which is a huge plus for me if I ever need it serviced.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:15 AM
Mini Boy

Welcome to heli mania Crash and Tenover!

The Hacker setup that was recommended to me and many others by Hoverup, Gkurt and others is as follows:

Hacker C-40-12 Motor
Hacker/Jeti Heli Master 40-3P Controller
2.5 mm Gold "bullet" connectors for above
Sanyo HR-SC-2600 MaH 7 cell NiMh battery packs
Deans Ultra battery connectors.

I got mine from Fitz at:

www.fxaeromodels.com

This setup has been absolutely smooth as silk and flawless from the getgo.

I'll post some photos soon.

Happy Choptering,

Russ
Old 05-21-2003, 01:23 AM
gmaster

got my Hacker BL and Heli Master ESC from Dave at aircraft-world.com .. dont worry cause its from japan.. he's an american lving in japan.. and his shipping was only $3 from japan to usa.. and i received my order in 5 business days.. cant beat that

zero problems w/my setup since i built my corona in mid Feb.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:29 AM
Mini Boy

Here's a pic ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80247_27105.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	47462  
Old 05-21-2003, 01:30 AM
Mini Boy

And 1 of the Hacker ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80249_27105.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	47463  
Old 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Crash Alaska

Thanks for all the advice. I am planning on replacing the motor with a hacker right away. From all the previous posts I've read on this subject it seems that this is the most important hop-up to accomplish.

Also, can someone recommend a reasonably priced company to get NiMH battery packs from? TIA

Crash
Old 05-22-2003, 01:03 AM
Mini Boy

Hi Again Crash!

It appears that you may have made the same mistake as I (and probably many others) and ordered the Corona with the stock "Fusion" motor and ESC. I, too, did that and THEN started to browse around on this and another forum to see what others were doing with their Coronas.

I think that the basic combo, from LMH's viewpoint, will get the average kit builder to the point of spinning up the machine, and into their first crash, and then maybe put the thing on the shelf in the cellar and that's good enough!

The fact is, if you are serious and really want to become proficient at this hobby, you will have enough to deal with without having to fiddle with the Fusion (or any other) brushed motor. If you can afford it, the switch to a brushless motor and suitable ESC (and gyro) will be the elimination of more frustration than you can imagine. This will perhaps make the difference between flying your little bird successfully or not.

Meanwhile, the mechanics on this heli are really well designed but simple and very reliable and almost bulletproof!

After your kit arrives, there will be sufficient time to begin construction and give more thought to the power system, as it really gets installed near the tail end of construction.

Others will probably chime in here with battery and charger comments, so hang in there!

Happy Constructing,

Russ
Old 05-22-2003, 02:27 AM
Crash Alaska

Thanks for the feedback Russ. No worries about crashing a couple of times and putting the heli on the shelf for me. I've been into fixed wing and other aspects of r/c for about 30 years. I was just waiting for a "less fragile" entry level heli to hit the market before I moved into this aspect of the hobby (I saw WAY too many grown men crying at the r/c park while learning on thier less robust (and more expensive) machines). Anyway, I'm not about to let a few stack ups deter me!

Thanks

Crash
Old 05-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Crash!

I forgot to mention that some have used Mega motors (which I think are brushless) and there are some Plettenburgs out there, but it seems as the Hacker has become the more popular. Most of the posts I've seen using Mega's were with the Castle Creations ESC's and there were some pretty frequent problems with them. The manufacturer has got the problms straightened out now, from what I hear (read).

Then there are Jeti Brushless motors, but nobody seems to use them while at the same time Hacker uses the Jeti ESC with their name on it!

The bottom line is that all of this can get pretty confusing, and it is just wonderful that we have these forums to glean info from.

You have made a good choice with the Corona, as it is straightforward, very rugged and forgiving, pretty darned stable for it's size, and with Hacker power, VERY smooth and reliable with no surprises.

We can discuss battery packs later, and do you have a gyro yet? Metal geared servos?

Gotta run ... lunch 1/2 hour is over!

Happy Choptering,

Russ

WOW ... My 100th post!
Old 05-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Crash Alaska

I ordered the Corona/Mini Servo combo from LMH. Not sure what type of servos are included. I guess I'll find out tomorrow . I also ordered a HeliMax Micro Piezo Gyro from Tower. I was guessing on the gyro. Hope it ain't a dog!

Crash
Old 05-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Crash!

Well ... I think the servos you will get from LMH will be Hitec HS-81's. They are fine, but the plastic gears are a little more fragile than some people realze and will strip in some crashes (is that you?) So the Hitec HS-81-MG's with a metal gearset are preferred. No harm done 'cause you can just get some HS-81-MG's as spares and replace them when need be (as I and many others have!). They are an exact replacement. You can actually buy just the metal gearset and replace the stripped gears if you have the eyes and patience.

I can't help much on the piezio gyro ... I got some kind of a piezio from LMH with the complete kit and it is still in the unopened bag with the world famous "Fusion 7" motor and ESC. You may want to get some other opinions on the Helimax. If you decide to use a Futaba instead, I don't see why you couldn't exchange it at tower.

Ask around and see what others have experienced on the gyro. Also ask around before you order more stuff ... we all seem to do this and wind up doing a lot of it over again.

Chat soon,

Russ
Old 05-22-2003, 07:25 PM
oosel

if i go for the hacker brushless setup will my exhisting 7 cell 2400 nicads work ok with it? or will i have to upgrade my batteries right away?
Old 05-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Mini Boy

Oosel:

The 7 cell 2400 MaH Nicads will work fine, and because the Hacker is more efficient and more friction free, you will get longer flight times than with your brushed motor. I forgot what you are using, but you could expect as much as 50% longer flight times with the Hacker ... or maybe any brushless Motor. Naturally, packs with higher MaHours will give you longer flight duration, but what you have will work just fine. I've heard of guys that use 1700 MaH packs!

I'm getting 10 minutes or a tad more with 2600 MaH NiMh packs.

Happy Choptering,

Russ
Old 05-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Wright Flyer

The Mega 16/15/3 is, indeed, a possible alternative brushless motor for use in a Corona and it costs a whole lot less than a Hacker (a bit like the difference between a Ford and a BMW, they'll both get you to the same place but one does it in more style). Personally I can only afford Ford so I bought the Mega (I already have a 16/15/6 in a Switchback plane and think they are GREAT little motors!)

Cliff
Old 05-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Wright Flyer!

Does the Mega "cog" as some motors do?
Or is that a characteristic of brused motors only?
What are you using for an ESC with the Mega?
How much of your hard earned cabbage did you have to slap down for the two components (if you don't mind me asking)?

Happy Choptering,

Russ
Old 05-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Chopper Bill

Hello Russ. I'm a brand new Corona owner and have noticed many of your posts. I almost halfwar through the building phase and I'm having way too much fun. I saw your pics in the thread and was wondering what kind of paint, and how you paint the canopy for the very nice result you achieved.

Very Nice Heli!

Bill
Old 05-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Spiro

Write,

I am also interested in the price of your brushless setup, if you don't mind our asking.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Old 05-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Bill!

Thanks for the compliments!!

I have read some real elaborate reports about painting: special primer, many coats of all kinds of exotic paint, etc.

I used stuff that was on hand. I wetsanded the whole exterior of the canopy with 400 grit wet/dry paper. Then Masked the window areas, covering everything but the windows, wiped it down with denatured alcohol (windex would also work fine, just be sure it's good and dry before painting). I then painted the windows flat black Krylon primer. DON'T try to empty the whole can ... use dusting coats, just enough to cover. After allowing 2 days to REALLY dry, I masked off the white area (keep in mind that is the original, unpainted plastic canopy!)also stuck some masking tape pieces in the sockets where the exhaust stacks go to facilitate later glueig the stacks in, and wiped down the remaining area with alcohol and painted that area with yellow acrylic enamel that we have here as touch-up paint for our trucks, nothing special. Again, 2 or 3 LIGHT coats. I would, however, not recommend the cheap Wally-World 99 cent aerosol paint! Then the green stripe was applied with sign making vinyl that was cut into 3/16" strips with a metal straightedge and a hobby knife (with a NEW blade). You can find striping material at the hobby shop in many colors and widths, or cut colored 3M ONLY electrical tape into the width you want. Stick it onto a window or a glass table top and use the metal straightedge and the hobby knif(with a NEW blade ... did I already say that?). Then, comes the hi-tech part ... do not sand nuthin' ... wipe the whole mess down carefully with alcohol again (NO, NOT vodka) to get the slimy fingerprints of, and dust on two coats of Krylon "Crystal Clear" aerosol, allowing to dry for 10 minutes or so between coats or whatever it takes to be almost dry to the touch but tacky. THEN ... take a deep breath and apply a nice "wet coat" being careful not to allow runs! The trick is that the dull white plastic and primer get nice and shiny when the clear coat is applied. And THAT'S IT!

If you're in doubt, test paint and clear some scrap plastic left over from trimming the canopy.

Incidentally, this scheme would probably NOT work with a glow version AKA, LMH 110, 116 etc. because of the hot fuel situation.

SPIRO!

I, too, would like to know how those Mega brushless motors work and what they cost, so I hope Wright Flyer responds. I know how great he Hackers are, but it sure would be nice to be able to suggest an alternative to a new builder so they can spend the difference on an extra NiMh pack OR LiPos ... boy those things are beginning to excite me more than a tad!! 25, 30, 35 min. per flight! WOW!!

Happy Choptering all,

Russ