Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Best Monster Truck? Details inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Phanesoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Monster Truck? Details inside

Haha, Bet u might have thought I was gonna tell you what it was.. In fact im new to this and im looking for a truck to fit my needs. Ill start with this post I posted in the rc cars forum..

Well ill start off by tellin you a little about myself.. Im 23 im serving in the US Army, currently deployed in Afghanistan until around next August. I used to own a traxxis electric buggy that I just did whatever with. I havent gotten into this sport at all whatsoever and about all I know is there is Nitro gas and electric hehe. I have however read the stickies up top so here we go.

Alright im lookin for a 4wd Truck thats gonna take a beating and keep on flippin. I wont intentionally be flipping the truck but it still needs to be extremely tough as I live on a bed of rocks. I need awesome speed and handling to match.
Terrain: Inside my COP (small sized army base/checkpoint I live on) our ground is rocked in with 2in diameter rocks give or take an inch. Outside the cop is really fine dust, moon dust as its called, hard dirt, divits, dips, bumps, small cliffs, steep inclines good sized rocks ranging from an inch big to a little bit bigger then a grapfruit. Mountainous at some places I may take it (dont want a rock climber though) Just need to get the truck up the steep slope without a rollover. Aand that should about cover that part.

Budget: Uhmm im gonna go ahead and say around 1k. Dont want the initial price of the R2R package to go over 500ish though. But just go ahead and tell me how much the best cost [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s45.gif[/img]

Type: R2R Nitro, perferrably traxxis, my friend had this sweet lookin truck, couldnt have been higher then 4 inches and about a foot and a half to 2 foot long by about a foot wide no clue what it was other then a traxxis. Im not sure what scale I want, but something about the size of oh say a backpack? or microwave lol

Purpose and Other things to think about: Ill be bashing it, building a track in our open area and racing it around that, thru a couple jumps, bunny hills (well sumn like that i got rocks to work with heh), ill be taking it outside the cop and playing in the not so nice terrain right outside. Some special things I may end up doing to it are making it mission capable. Putting some kind of roll cage on it equipped with a wireless camera, microphone, robotic arm (possibly but not likely), and with this ill need to put a little extra communications equipment on there as well as replace the original RC equipment to allow me to take it at least 1000 meters away from my position. Now all the mission capable stuff is just a little plan I have dont know if I will even get clearance to do it and do a patrol with it, but id still like to hear some ideas/stories/tips for those ideas.

Hmm im pretty sure thats about it so lets hear what ya have got.

Now things that have been added to the convo..

-Handling and reliability is of the up most importance when I take it outside of the cop so it has to be able to handle the terrain.
-With a little added weight from the camera and battery for the camera not flipping this wonderful machine would have to be a must (I know you have to be good at drivin it, buut I do have to get away from anyone that decides to run at it and that doesnt always mean im going to have a nice approach to a small ditch or cliff)
-Durability really counts!
-I love the way the Revo 3.3's suspension is set up.
-Adjustible suspension is a plus, there are mountains ill be taking it up so kickin up the back end with ease would be nice
-Acceleration and and killing the motor easily with the added weight
-Looking into converting the motor to run on JP-8 fuel, I have an abundance of it (plus 500 gal+ deliveries weekly hehe)
- Dont much care about looks

Okay so I added more that was on my mind.. I would also like to know how the Revo 3.3 racks up against the savage, lst and the associated monster gt 4.6. And until I can convert the engine to run on JP-8 I saw there was a big block kit for the Revo, cant I just take the best motor from the Big 3 and slap her on there? Im also concerned about the 2 inches in width and length the Revo lacks vrs the others (but thats just me when I buy things I like to have the biggest/most advanced/fastest) But none the less if the big three dont have adjustable suspension height that would make up for it eheh.. Hmm, anything else on my mind? No I do think that about beats it..
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Best Monster Truck? Details inside

Get a Losi XXL. Good radio and engine for an RTR.

The upgrade list to make it very tough is relatively short:

1.) Dynamite engine brace.
2.) New Era Roll-bar (expensive and maybe not so easy to find, but VERY, VERY good... Protects lots on the truck, and makes the chassis stiffer...)
3.) RC Raven springs(if you can find them..)
4.) Pick up a set of A-arms on ebay, along maybe with some carrriers and spindles, 1-2 backup servos(the new "extra high torque" ones..), a couple bumpers, a couple body posts, some side rails, maybe a tank, and oh yeah, an LST wing kit...(good for wheelies..)

The hard ano skid plates are a decent upgrade, especially the front one(to protect the steering servos..), but not absolutely necessary... (but just get the front one...)

Besides that, a couple OS A5/10 or #8 plugs, some good Losi tools, and some threadlock...

I live in insanely expensive Germany, so I know what it's like to want to have everything on hand...

The XXL is bigger thant he Traxxas, better quality overall IMO, and probably tougher and even faster... For what you say you're looking for, I think the XXL is just right....
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Revo stacks up pretty good against all other MT's, but for the durability it seems your gonna need your bets to go with a 1/8th scale (revo is 1/10th).  Theyre bigger and generally have heavier stronger parts to deal with the size...therefor stronger parts to deal with bashing in tough terrain.

I agree with the above....the losi XXL would be a great fit, or the savage xl.  With a 1k budget you could make either as close to bulletproof as possible with aftermarket parts and improve on eithers weaknesses.

Cant comment on the MGT as Iv never owned or seen one in person.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Losi XXL. . . . . .
Big tires for rough ground. Big .28 Engine blasts the 2 Speed truck to 50 MPH with a great break-in and proper tuning. I was one of the first to own this truck and I loved it. I'm looking to get another one in the next month or two.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFpmd4IbOQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Z2iQIlhj8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6QA7yVB_8[/youtube]

Handles landings off this jump countless times. Time after time fires up and runs perfect.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost forgot, the DX3S radio should handle the 1000 meters just great. Only thing is your telemetry might only go half that distance. No biggie though, I had a few complaints but nothing that would keep me from buying another one. I willl always recommend this Nitro Truck. I can't get enough of it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 PM
ntrain42

XXL without question. OverdriveRC and at times Stormerhobbies sell the RTR kit for $550.

My recommendations:

A. New Era skid plate set $50
B. New Era roll bar $50
C. RPM A-arms F/R total $60
D. New Era F/R aluminumcarriers/steering knuckles $80 total (these reduce outer bearing wear significantly, if your in high dust/heat environment, they are recommended)
E. Dynamite or Hot racing engine brace $15
F. BAC steering link $10
G. If you have the extra funds, a pair of Tower Hobbies/Hobbico TS or CS 170 servos(which are rebadged Hitec 7955 hi torque/speed servos) $160 pair.

The above done willgarentee a pretty much bulletproofmonster truck. If you still have a bit left in the budget,lookat going with a set of hard anodized shock bodies($50) and some aluminum bulkheads($66 for F/R)and some aluminumgearbox outputsupports($26 for a pair)to reduce flex in the drivetrain.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

and some aluminum gearbox output supports($26 for a pair) to reduce flex in the drivetrain.

whats that ?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:29 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

and some aluminumgearbox outputsupports($26 for a pair)to reduce flex in the drivetrain.

whats that ?
http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?part_id=37714
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

haa, ok .

how long have you been running these support ?

mine start to wear/oval and because it moves/rubs my diff case has a groove in it from the friction.
im cleaning/rebuilding/upgrading my LST's trucks this winter and would like some feedback from people that used them !

thanks,

Impala
Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 AM
HerrSavage

XXL without question. OverdriveRC and at times Stormerhobbies sell the RTR kit for $550.

My recommendations:

A. New Era skid plate set $50
B. New Era roll bar $50
C. RPM A-arms F/R total $60
D. New Era F/R aluminum carriers/steering knuckles $80 total (these reduce outer bearing wear significantly, if your in high dust/heat environment, they are recommended)
E. Dynamite or Hot racing engine brace $15
F. BAC steering link $10
G. If you have the extra funds, a pair of Tower Hobbies/Hobbico TS or CS 170 servos(which are rebadged Hitec 7955 hi torque/speed servos) $160 pair.

The above done will garentee a pretty much bulletproof monster truck. If you still have a bit left in the budget, look at going with a set of hard anodized shock bodies($50) and some aluminum bulkheads($66 for F/R) and some aluminum gearbox output supports($26 for a pair) to reduce flex in the drivetrain.

+1

Don't forget though: if you get RPM's, you should get the Lunsford titanium links for them. The RPM links are flimsy. IMHO RPM's are not needed - though yes, they are bulletproof.. But stock arms are so cheap - I just prefer to get a couple sets to have on hand. And a repair is easy... (I have RPM's on my basher, and they're great.. But for my track LST2 the stockers are fine.. Haven't broken one yet.. For big jumps though you might want them..)

Also, a VERY good upgrade for the XXL or any of the LST2 trucks is RC Raven dual-rate shock springs. Don't know if they're even still being made, but they are great... Good cheap upgrade..

A wing mount is good too - acts a bit like a wheely bar..
Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
del1969

Get the savage x 4.6 rtr, and save the rest of your money.
Keep it stock!!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: bigblock454XXL

Almost forgot, the DX3S radio should handle the 1000 meters just great.

I dont have a DX3S but did some research a little while back when I was looking for a new radio and one reason I didn't go for it was because of the range, I would consider myself lucky if I could get one that could do 100m, let alone 1000m.
May be a bit longer in an area with lower noise and less obstacles though, but not much longer I don't think.

I read once before (although useless in mentioning if I can't prove it but...), from either a Horizon or Spektrum person that their DSM2 radios are good for about 100-300 feet.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Jomoma726
My Feedback: (1)

All I have to say is I prefer hpi for NITRO monster trucks. They have a very durable and decent size, especially the Savage XL 5.9. As for the Revo, it's pretty much a 1/8th scale but is less durable the savages. I'm not a Losi fan cuz I never really owned one but from what I know is that Losi has some good buggies and to me the xxl dosent seem that durable. I know what you mean about the revo's suspension I love it too. But the revo is going to handle MUCH better vs the savage but honestly, coming from somebody who owned both, the savage handle well enough for anybody. The revo is just going to be able to push a lot more at a track. As for the motor in the Revo, it is a small block but it can get up and go. I do prefer hpi over traxxas cuz I do like the torque of their big block. For your situation I think you should get a savage x 4.6 or savage xl 5.9. But your going to be happy with any truck.

Also you can put a big block in a revo but it's going to set you back a lot of money.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Jomoma726

Also if you are also wanting to try new things you can get a traxxas summit and then make it brushless. It's a rock crawler and monster truck so I just thought it would be nice since you talked about rocks. You would have to buy a MMM brushless system though cuz the stock motor is too slow. Stock is about 20 mph vs the MMM would make you run at about 45mph depending on batteries. I'm not into rock crawling but I just thought you should know....
Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: bigblock454XXL

Almost forgot, the DX3S radio should handle the 1000 meters just great.

I dont have a DX3S but did some research a little while back when I was looking for a new radio and one reason I didn't go for it was because of the range, I would consider myself lucky if I could get one that could do 100m, let alone 1000m.
May be a bit longer in an area with lower noise and less obstacles though, but not much longer I don't think.

I read once before (although useless in mentioning if I can't prove it but...), from either a Horizon or Spektrum person that their DSM2 radios are good for about 100-300 feet.
Very much incorrect. Range literally is greater than your field of vision. You will be locked onto your truck well after its become just a spec to your eyes. WHat has short limited range are the telemetry sensors. These only function within a few hundred feet of the truck.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: Jomoma726

All I have to say is I prefer hpi for NITRO monster trucks. They have a very durable and decent size, especially the Savage XL 5.9. As for the Revo, it's pretty much a 1/8th scale but is less durable the savages. I'm not a Losi fan cuz I never really owned one but from what I know is that Losi has some good buggies and to me the xxl dosent seem that durable. I know what you mean about the revo's suspension I love it too. But the revo is going to handle MUCH better vs the savage but honestly, coming from somebody who owned both, the savage handle well enough for anybody. The revo is just going to be able to push a lot more at a track. As for the motor in the Revo, it is a small block but it can get up and go. I do prefer hpi over traxxas cuz I do like the torque of their big block. For your situation I think you should get a savage x 4.6 or savage xl 5.9. But your going to be happy with any truck.

Also you can put a big block in a revo but it's going to set you back a lot of money.
You've never had a Losi, so think they're not durable.... And you think a Savage handles well....

Try an XXL... Superior to a Savage in every way except wheelies and perhaps A-arm strength..(though I have heard Losi is now using a new platic that is much stronger than it was 3-4 years ago...)

The Savage drivetrain still sucks, and the handling is simply goofy compared to a Losi MT.

Not talking trash. Had two Savages, and have two LST2's. But this is the Losi forum, and I mean, you did come saying Losis aren't durable - which is frankly unfounded and blatantly untrue. I like Savages in a way actually - the challenge of keeping them upright, the wheelies, etc.. But the quality of my XSS was so crappy and the list of problems so long and persistent that I gave up on HPI forever... Losi is just where it's at for MT's. Night and day in my experience...
Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Jomoma726

You can take any truck and handle well. Like I said I never owned a Losi vehicle because for some reason they never appealed to me. Except for their buggies and truggies. Although the savage isn't the best handling truck it handles like a mt. If your looking for the best handling vehicle then get a buggy or truggy. I wasn't tring to hate on Losi it's just they never had much mt's I liked. My savage on the other hand, has never broken any parts. My driveline is solid, and I bash hard. So like I said your going to be happy with any trucks these are just suggestions off our experience.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: Jomoma726

You can take any truck and handle well. Like I said I never owned a Losi vehicle because for some reason they never appealed to me. Except for their buggies and truggies. Although the savage isn't the best handling truck it handles like a mt. If your looking for the best handling vehicle then get a buggy or truggy. I wasn't tring to hate on Losi it's just they never had much mt's I liked. My savage on the other hand, has never broken any parts. My driveline is solid, and I bash hard. So like I said your going to be happy with any trucks these are just suggestions off our experience.
GUess you would have to get an XXL in your hands to understand. Its just a better built, better designed MT. Wider wheelbase and track, much better large bore shock/suspension setup. Dual steering servo design. Much better Tx/Rx combo, engine, and the drivetrain is significantly more rugged. Its just a step up in what you get out of the box, and when some money is sunk into one upgrading it, that step becomes much wider.

You say MT's are supposed to handle like MT's, then if that was the case, it should only have a top speed of 4 to 5 mph becuase real MT's aren't fast. But a scale bashing truck thats ripping 40 plus mph needs to handle better than a "monster truck". And the Losi is the best handling scale MT out there. Last thing I want is a scale MT that handles like the real thing. I'd hate to have to keep walking over to it to flip it back side up.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Nytro97
My Feedback: (2)

Well said, ntrain42 and HerrSavage
Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Jomoma726

Well I guess I will have to try a xxl sometime but for some reason Losi's mt's never appealed to me. But PhaneSoul just get what you like, if you like the revo suspension then get a revo 3.3. It's actully pretty fast with it's small block because it's lighter then most big block mt's. If you want a big block Mt then get a savage xl or xxl, all preform well.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:44 PM
HerrSavage

My first "real" RC was a Savage 25. It was GREAT - for me at the time.. Eventually the engine and diffs died, so I let it sit in the corner, and - very skeptically - went out and got an LST2... (just ask some old-school LST2 people.. I annoyed them with my doubts and unwillingness to believe that it really was better....) Anyway, I spent what for me was a fortune, and got a new LST2.. I also got a Savage XSS. To make a long story short, the LST2 ist still kicking after nearly four years, and the XSS got dumped long ago.. - too much of a headache...(that XSS was a serious POS and major headache PIA RC...)

Point is, the LST2 proved itself over a LONG time.. It kind of nees a rebuild now - as there is some slop in the steering for ex... But hey, I have never even replaced a bearing in the thing(not including clutch of course....) Must have like 12-15 gallons on it... My LST2 has been a serious trooper..

So anyay - I'm not a brand-loyal ranting fanboy... But two LST2's and a Muggy have proven to me that Losi is not only all about racing - it also does bashing well.. Better than the others even IMO(have only had a mini 1/16 Revo, but thought it sucked - so sold it too...) It IS expensive, but for anybody looking to get a 1/8 MT, and planning to stay in RC for more than a couple gallons, I really do think the Losi XXL is unbeatable...
Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 PM
ntrain42

Im, definetly not brand loyal either. I get whats best depending on the type of vehicle. For SC I have 2 SC10's(One factory team, one RTR brushless). For my road vehicle I elected to go with a Nitro HPI RS4 3 Evo for good overall performance,durability and parts availability. For my 1/8th scale buggy racer I have it down to the Losi 8eight 2.0 or the AE RC8 2(Not sure which Im gonna get, will prolly come down to which I can get a better deal on).

WHen it comes to MT though, there is only one choice and thats the LSTXXL. I race and bash it.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Mclovin350z

I just wanna say the hd diff outdrive cups and a 8ight 2.0 ventedbrake disc are also a must on the xxl. The steel brake discs bind on the shaft, which in my case has caused broken outdrive cups on landings. I used the larger of the two 8ight discs and the brake works awesome now.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

I just wanna say the hd diff outdrive cups and a 8ight 2.0 ventedbrake disc are also a must on the xxl. The steel brake discs bind on the shaft, which in my case has caused broken outdrive cups on landings. I used the larger of the two 8ight discs and the brake works awesome now.
I know a few people broke the outdrive cups from what I understand was a faulty batch from the mfg. But really havent seen any real issues with them, even from the extreme bashers. I myself use the HD outdrive cups. I was using the lightened HD outdrive cups and ended up snapping those, hehe. But the stock and HD outdrives for me have been rock solid.

The brake pad too. Never an issue with it binding ever. Though I am intrigued with the 8ight 2.0 "vented" brake discs, but I couldnt find em anywhere, got a link for that part? Id like to inquire on em cuz im gonna need to replace my brake discs soon anyway.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Mclovin350z

That would explain why I broke all of mine very easily. Gravity and other forceswill cause the brake pads to lean on the shaft, and as the shaft turns they bind.....or that was my problem anyway. http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA3542Use just the bigger disc with all 3 pads forvery smooth, easybraking. Some say you will need a strongerservo, but my stocker works fine fornow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.