Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Losi XXL. Skid plates + brakes, how to replace?

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Losi XXL. Skid plates + brakes, how to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Vinno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi XXL. Skid plates + brakes, how to replace?

Hey guys,

Im thinking I buying the losi hd front, center an rear skid plates. Few questions for those oft hat use it.
1) what screws do you use to mount them and do they go over the top of the stock ones? Any modifications needed?
2) do the hd protect the underparts of the xxl well?

A) With the brakes linkage on the servo, what's the job of that spring? And how do you guys have yours? Should the brake spring be compressed when servo is at neutral or is spring uncompressed and has bit of a gap? If any of you'd have pic to show, would help a ton.

My brake travel is set at 40% on the controller at the moment to get a nice breaking.

B) I notice the metal brakes a hit miss, sometimes it sounds like it binds, read somewhere on here people changing it to fiber ones for consistent smooth breaking. Any one which fiber brakes you can replace the metal ones with? Does this job require dismantling the whole front section to take the shaft out of the existing ones? Any tips?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

Default RE: Losi XXL. Skid plates + brakes, how to replace?

ORIGINAL: Vinno

Hey guys,

Im thinking I buying the losi hd front, center an rear skid plates. Few questions for those oft hat use it.
1) what screws do you use to mount them and do they go over the top of the stock ones? Any modifications needed?
stock screws, it replaces the stock skid plates.

2) do the hd protect the underparts of the xxl well?
i bit more, specially the steering servos.

A) With the brakes linkage on the servo, what's the job of that spring? And how do you guys have yours? Should the brake spring be compressed when servo is at neutral or is spring uncompressed and has bit of a gap? If any of you'd have pic to show, would help a ton.
spring is for smooth braking, i replaced it with a peice of fuel line, i prefer the feel.
should be no tension on the spring/fuel line at neutral.
there is a fuel line mod to put on the rod that prevents binding, search for it.

My brake travel is set at 40% on the controller at the moment to get a nice breaking.
sounds good, adjust to your preferances.

B) I notice the metal brakes a hit miss, sometimes it sounds like it binds, read somewhere on here people changing it to fiber ones for consistent smooth breaking. Any one which fiber brakes you can replace the metal ones with? Does this job require dismantling the whole front section to take the shaft out of the existing ones? Any tips?
fuel line mod to prevent binding. remove front differential to remove brake disks.
4 screws on the bulkhead plate, then slide diff retainers(2) then slide diff towards front.

i hope it helps a little !
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Vinno

Hey thanks for the info, can't seem to find the fuel break rod mod, used google too

Seems like the Xxl is longer then the lst2 wondering if the losi Hd skid front and rear skid plates will fit the xxl hmm, can't seem to find a definite answer and don't think the new era skid plates would fit since new era sdoesn't have Xxl listed under description.

The new era roll bar info says fit on the xxl but its out of stock on the new era site and seems no on has them in stock.

For those that have the duel raven shocks, what color did you buy as they differ in hardness?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:57 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would expect the hard ano Losi skids to fit. It's just that the chassis is stretched with the XXL, but the stuff in the middle and at the ends is all LST2.. I think... But hhmmm... Good question actually. Think you need to hear from an XXL owner on that one.. I just have an LST2..

The New Era roll-bar does fit.

I had blue RC Raven schocks and loved them.. "Had" - I mean "have".. Still going great 4+ years later..
Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

lst - lst2 - xxl skid plates are all the sames. (losi skids)
dynamite skids, i dont know.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Vinno

Hey guys, ended up fitting on the center HD plate, seems like it nearly fits

Have to somehow cut a bigger hole for the xxl pipe to fit. Any recommendation on tools for the job?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:05 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

don't cut a bigger hole, simply turn your pipe sideways.

the skid is the same for the lst2 and the xxl, the skid rubs the pipe on all of them.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Vinno

ORIGINAL: ImpalaPolicePack

don't cut a bigger hole, simply turn your pipe sideways.

the skid is the same for the lst2 and the xxl, the skid rubs the pipe on all of them.
Such a simple thing, will give it a try when I get the plate back from a friend in few days. Thanks.

I've removed the front diff and still can't get the brakes off, I think I need to remove the whole center bit out too to have enough space to remove the brake pads??