Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST will not move

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST will not move

Well, I took the tranny apart again today to make sure that there was nothing broke inside, everything checked out ok. Started it up and nothing would just sit there and free rev. I talked to BIll at losi and he said it was probably stuck in between gears he told to rock the truck back and forth changing it from high to low... then if tat did not work go from forward to reverse using the same method. Nothing changed.... Tightened te slipper down a small bit and nothing still no movement, but there was a pile of plastic teeth under my truck from where I guess the pin came out and got cought in the diffs... SO I will tear it apart again tomorrow to inspect and replace whatever is broke. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:21 PM

Default RE: LST will not move

You should check the engine's clutch system, if the pads are ok or not.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:50 PM

A pile of teeth below the truck sounds more like spur gear damage than anything else.How do they look ?? I know when mine strip (all too often[:@]) the truck acts like it's in neutral
Old 02-07-2005, 08:00 PM

That happens with many palstic gears. A while ago I was trying to get my 5 year old Duratrax Maximum ST (got it as a gift when I was 7) to run again and one of the servos wouldn't move. ( I was very new to RCs back them and didn't take good care of the car at ALL) I took it apart and one of the plastic gears in it only a 3 teeth out of 20!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:08 PM

LOL 3 teeth out of 20!!! LOL!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:31 PM
wal

Keep at it I am sure you will get it going, keep up posted. As a Nerd I am not very mechanically minded, with that being said it looks like the LST is easier to fix then it is to break.

I can’t believe the wear on the Pinion gearing (B3350, B3356), you have two metal pinions running two synthetic pinions (B3420, B3424) you would think the synthetic would show more ware. The metal pinions have considerable wear but I think that comes down to forgetting to come to a complete stop before putting it into reverse.

Speaking of reverse, I have a feeling my LST was one of those Friday afternoon specials; you know the ones where the worker rushed the build so he can get down to the pub for a few pots with his mates.

When I got mine home it wouldn’t change into reverse, I took it back to the my LHS the next day and they pulled the transmission down to have a look, apparently the Shift Forks (B3124) can go into the case without actually being connected thus no changing gears.

I thought it was pretty cool that they fixed it on the spot, they could have said we need to send it back to Losi or at least there Australian importer. Which would have meant a week or two without my new toy?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:43 AM

I had this prob once. After switching from high to low and back, it didn't move forward. But backwards it worked. So I did some turns backwards. Then some more switches and I could go in the right direction again too. Don't know, what thas was ...

After some other problems I said myself, the LST is female and sometimes behaves like a diva. That makes a lot easier!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure how, but after taking my transmission out to upgrade brakes, my pinion/spur alignment was thrown off. I didn't think anything would be off as the placement of the transmission is not adjustable. I went thru 2 spur gears Saturday... finally looked a lil closer at the alignment. Still didn't look bad when I installed my LAST spur gear (borrowed, thx BG), but decided to move engine and that did the trick.

When your truck is running and you go to rev it, take a look at the clutchbell.... it should begin to spin...then the slipper is the next step as it engages, movement then goes to the transmission...then the front/rear CVDs to the front/rear differentials and eventually out to each wheel.

If you have a clean area, such as a garage floor or driveway... might I suggest removing body and spur gear covers. This is NOT recommended for extended driving of any kind, but to help diagnose the problem.

Once you have it all back together, try this and let us know where the "movement" stops. Make sure you are in high/low gear and your forward/reverse at one of the stops.

Hope this makes sense, its getting late after a rough day at work. If not, post again and I will try to be more specific in the morning.

Good Luck!

I can not tell you how much fun I had after diagnosing thsi problem with the help of a friend. Hope to get some video to post soon. If not, I may just have to go out and buy a camera myself! LOL
Old 02-08-2005, 05:00 AM

I am having the same problem with my LST. The guy from Losi is probably right with his suggestion that the car is stuck between gears. When you get the truck back up and running, check to see where the servo is leaving the lever to swtich the gear from forward to reverse. After you have check, manually move the gear alittle further back, you should hear it clicks. When it clicks, the car should move but not stay moving because the servo is going to have the tendency to move back to its resting spot. You might have to extend the arm that comes off of the servo to make sure that it is locking the drive train in forward.

Let me know if that helps.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:51 AM

THe clutch is new, i installed it last week and test drove it and it was fine until i noticed it was front wheel drive. So that is why i tore into the tranny. but everything was fine? I do believe it is stuck in between gears, but THe pin fell out on the outside of the main shaft when all the teeth were laying on my garage floor. I am having trouble getting my slipper nut to tightn own also. I will make my trip to the hobby store today to pick up some things. I hope I can get this thing lined out, i do not want to have to take it some where to get fixed, defeats the purpose of the hobby.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM

I think i figured it out, it was stuck between gears.. But another problem has aroused being that the nut that tightens the slipper down is stripped. I have no idea how that would happen. I ordered some from Horizon because my LHS did not have them. No biggie, not like the weather is permiting me to drive the LST. I am going to remove the reverse gears from the tranny next if i can figure out exactley how to do it. I have read the post about how to do it but I need more info.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:16 PM

There's not really any additional info for converting the tranny to forward-only... If you can take apart the trans, you can do the conversion!! Just pick up an extra LOSB3108 for the top shaft and carefully disassemble the trans - use the pics in the Forward-Only tranny to guide you and make sure to not use as much JB Weld as I did!!!!1! I really slathered it on there and even though it works ok, it's really unnecessary.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Mad will you put a arrow pointing to where i need to put the JB weld. Or better yet explain in detail please. Does your truck whine during deacceleration.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:33 PM

Same problem with me. One thing I have noticed, with the brakes always on . MY truck used to do that , I messed with the brake/gas servo fork so the brakes wouldn't always be on. At first I thought I shouldn't had bought this truck