Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Help! Mach26ss tuning problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 02:22 AM
QuadraPixel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Mach26ss tuning problems.

Got an Aftershock on Thursday and had a by the book perfect break in, and had no tuning problems then, but the next day gave me problems. After replacing the glow plug and nursing a very tired right arm I could finally get it to run. but shortly after it started to run really lean when idleing on my front lawn, so i shut it off. I dont think i was low on fuel or any probs like that, but after letting it cool down for a short while, I finally was able to get it started again to finish burning the left over fuel off so I could after run it, and put it away for the night.

Then it started to not want to stay running, but that could have been that it was cooling down out side.

So I pull it out today to bash and jump in a vacant lot by my house, and I cant keep it running. When it does run, when bring it to a stop the motor will rev up (also sound lean), so I correct that, but then it will stall instead of rev up. (strange). But now with much head ache and sore arm (from the pull start) i have now hit another wall.

I have the idle speed all the way up (screwed in), and the only way i can get it to start now is by holding the carb open or setting the trim open to 30% for me to get it to start. And I no longer which way to go with the LSN. When it does run it does not show premature signs of wear.

Please help me! I'm sooo confused right now. It's like it was not made to run in my climate (95 deg low humidity)

Also, if anybody knows of a way to mount some sort of traxxas style ezstart to this motor or other bigblock I am sooo open for help there to.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:57 AM
mikewoodkozar

Default RE: Help! Mach26ss tuning problems.

Oh gosh, first off, you DO NOT want a traxxas style cheesy start on it. For about 5 bucks your LHS can hook you up with the spin start back plate and you can start the motor with a drill.

And a few questions before i can help. Where is your fuel filter mounted? And have you been using the primer in the tank? And can you see air bubbles in the fuel line going to the carb?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:27 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

First it Sounds Like Your Tunings you a little out of Wack.....
Heres some tuning tips,
http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

Your Idle Should be Set so when you look in the carb Theres around a 1mm to 1.5mm Gap (Shouldn't Have to Change it Any More) Something Like This,

And It's Easy to Put a Roto Start on your Truck,
You'll Need This backplate,
http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_...LST_-_LOSB5111
And this Hex Drive Rod,
http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_...ST_-_LOSB5104_
Witch you can use with Any Drill.....

Or you can Buy a Losi Starter,
http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_...ST_-_LOSB5100_

Jusr remember it take's Over a Gallon before the Engines going to Be Fully Broke-in and Start Holding a Good tune...
And Don't forget to Try a New Glow plug.....
Old 07-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Losi8TP3
Banned
My Feedback: (-3)

Check the fuel lines for cracks,holes....Actually just go to your local hobby shop and buy a foot of new fuel line,replace it and put zip-ties on all the ends.Both sides of the fuel filter,the line that runs to the gas tank(both)and to the pipe!!!I did the same thing,my LHS told me to do that to my Aftershock and i havent had any problems since!!!Hope this helps you!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
CESSPOOL

ORIGINAL: SublimeJason

First it Sounds Like Your Tunings you a little out of Wack.....
Heres some tuning tips,
http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

Your Idle Should be Set so when you look in the carb Theres around a 1mm to 1.5mm Gap (Shouldn't Have to Change it Any More) Something Like This,

And It's Easy to Put a Roto Start on your Truck,
You'll Need This backplate,
http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_...LST_-_LOSB5111
And this Hex Drive Rod,
http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_...ST_-_LOSB5104_
Witch you can use with Any Drill.....

Or you can Buy a Losi Starter,
http://www.killerhobbies.com/Browse_...ST_-_LOSB5100_

Jusr remember it take's Over a Gallon before the Engines going to Be Fully Broke-in and Start Holding a Good tune...
And Don't forget to Try a New Glow plug.....

How did yo get your HSN to afce that direction? I tried to turn mine but it was too loose. and I didn't know if putting a washer under it would hurt anything.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Just loosen it up and turn it to where ever ya Want it....
Old 07-16-2006, 01:03 PM
CESSPOOL

I did, it wasn't tight when I turned it to that same postion, not even hand tight. And I know that can't be a good thing...
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 PM
QuadraPixel

This is how my fuel system is set up. I clear the air bubbles out by using the primmer button or covering the exhaust when I'm starting it.

My problems is when it's running it wont stay running unless i hold the throttle open. Do you think I'm too lean or rich on the lsn? (I have tried both going really rich and lean with no luck)

About the ezstart, I dont want to carry some huge drill around instead of having an onboard starter motor. I hate my friends roto start on his HPI mt2. And since I'm not a racer, i dont care about the added weight. I really love the ezstart on my Jato, it makes a major task really easy! This is how easy it is to start my jato:[link]http://www.traxxas.com/ftp/jato_mov/trx_video_jato01.htm[/link]
Old 07-16-2006, 02:11 PM
CESSPOOL

The only difference size wise between a Losi rotostart and a Traxxas EZStart is a pencil sized shaft.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:40 PM
QuadraPixel

Dont forget the glow starter but I am highly considering it since i'm no machineist
Old 07-16-2006, 05:07 PM
mikewoodkozar

ORIGINAL: QuadraPixel

This is how my fuel system is set up. I clear the air bubbles out by using the primmer button or covering the exhaust when I'm starting it.

My problems is when it's running it wont stay running unless i hold the throttle open. Do you think I'm too lean or rich on the lsn? (I have tried both going really rich and lean with no luck)

About the ezstart, I dont want to carry some huge drill around instead of having an onboard starter motor. I hate my friends roto start on his HPI mt2. And since I'm not a racer, i dont care about the added weight. I really love the ezstart on my Jato, it makes a major task really easy! This is how easy it is to start my jato:[link]http://www.traxxas.com/ftp/jato_mov/trx_video_jato01.htm[/link]
YOU NEED TO MOVE THE "FUEL" FILTER AWAY FROM THE ENGINE! IT will cause you many headaches with it smack dab next to the engine like that!

That might be causing some of your tuning issues
Old 07-16-2006, 07:10 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

I think He means Fuel Filter? ^^^^
Old 07-16-2006, 09:29 PM
mikewoodkozar

haha woops, i have been out in the 96 degree temp all day, i am fried sorry!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:14 AM
sl00wsierra

I believe you about the filter being close to the engine, but would you elaborate a little bout that.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:30 AM
mikewoodkozar

ORIGINAL: sl00wsierra

I believe you about the filter being close to the engine, but would you elaborate a little bout that.
Well what happens is the fuel filter gets super hot sitting on the engine like that. It can boil (maybe i dont know) and put bubble in the fuel line, bubble are air and will make you have problem just like if you had an air leak, thus running lean.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Losi8TP3
Banned
My Feedback: (-3)

I had the same problem with that stupid fuel filter,first off taking the gas tank on and off for the batteries is allmost impossible because of that filter and it does make the fuel bubble before it even enters the tank.I mean look how little that piece of line is between the filter and the carb?I ran the line around the motor and have the filter perfectly in between the two lines and i havent has any problems with the motor since!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
mikewoodkozar

i like to keep the filter behind the shocktower and then zip tie it through the shock tower holes
Old 07-17-2006, 10:11 PM
QuadraPixel

OK, I got it to run good, I will try moving the fuel filter, hopefully that will help when my motor warms up. I also broke down and ordered a losi shaft start, hopefully that will make it easier to start. The glow plug is good (have already been through 2).

Now it likes to run hot. I also have it a rich as I can get it, and keep running, and I hit 260 degrees. I will read this: http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm to see if I can get the horses with out the high temp, but your advise is appreciated.

Do you think an aftermarket cooling head will help. It did with my trx 2.5.

Thanks guys! [8D]

PS, what are your temps for good HP that wont kill your motors??
Old 07-18-2006, 05:20 PM

i am having troubles with the same engine and got the spin start.

it is worth it's weight in gold!!!! makes troubleshooting a lot less painless!

i know only want to slowly drop the truck out my window, instead of kicking it off the roof!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 PM
QuadraPixel

lol, cant waite to get the spin start, It should make things alot easier
Old 07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
bkohn1

I'm having similar problems with my Aftershock too. If I prime it enough (20-30 pushes to get fuel to the carb), it usually starts pretty easy, and runs OK. But after a few minutes of driving, the engine will die and when I try to start it again, there will be alot of air in the fuel line, usually more air than fuel. Can the fuel filter being close to the engine cause that much air? Or do I need to check the tank for air leaks? And how do I do that? Also, when I push the primer button, I can see the fuel move a little bit toward the carb, but when I release the button, the fuel goes back toward the tank. Is that normal? Doesn't seem right to me. I have to prime it alot and fast to get fuel to the carb.

Any help would be great.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 PM
QuadraPixel

I no longer use the primer button, it has never worked, and it hardly workes on my friends HPI mt2. I just put my finger over the exhaust outlet, and that will pressurize the fuel tank and force fuel into the carb. Now with my M26SS motor I have to lean it ALOT (over 1 entire turn) to get it to started, which is causing HUGE headackes right now, but I'm going to make a new thread for that.

Follow up: I saw a vid of a guy taking the fuel tubeing from the exhaust end and blowing in that to prime the tank and carb. Just make sure it's clean!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
osteologation

at least the AS comes with the spin start backplate. shouldve came with the rest of it too. first thing i did was toss the pullstart. i always break them its just a matter of time. the spin start plate was on there within a few hours after being delivered to my house.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
mikewoodkozar

pullstarts dont really bother me......until they break, lol. Yeah, the LST has spoiled me, spin start is nothing short of amazing. I just wish we could bump start are LST's []
Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jkohn1

I'm having similar problems with my Aftershock too. If I prime it enough (20-30 pushes to get fuel to the carb), it usually starts pretty easy, and runs OK. But after a few minutes of driving, the engine will die and when I try to start it again, there will be alot of air in the fuel line, usually more air than fuel. Can the fuel filter being close to the engine cause that much air? Or do I need to check the tank for air leaks? And how do I do that? Also, when I push the primer button, I can see the fuel move a little bit toward the carb, but when I release the button, the fuel goes back toward the tank. Is that normal? Doesn't seem right to me. I have to prime it alot and fast to get fuel to the carb.

Any help would be great.
The primer sucks and will develop a air leak.. maybe why your pushing it 20-30 times... I would move the filter like others have suggested.. Then seal up the primer button hole.. Pull the primer button off.. remove the o ring and push the remainder of the primer inside of the tank... then fish it out with a set of needle nose pliers.. I plugged the hole with a screw then filled it 3/4 of the way with RTV silicone.. Then put a layer of epoxy to top it off..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hr51501.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	499936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81074.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	499937  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.