Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST2 center diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST2 center diff

the output shafts on the tranny (center diff) are locked for the front and back (they spin evenly) right
Old 12-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Default RE: LST2 center diff

Yes.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 PM

why would you put in thicker fluid in the front and thinner in the back if they both turn the same .... any resistance in the front from thicker fluid would carry out to the back also ie... what is the purpose of doing so
Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 AM

Thicker fluid in the front will make the front "push" more in a turn, since the inside wheel will travel closer to the same speed as the outside wheel. This mean's you can steer just by letting off the throttle.

I however, do the oposite, I like to drive drift style, but I don't race, so...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 AM

it makes no sense to me if the front and back are locked together ... seems like thicker fluid would cause a loss in acceleration ... the more you increase resistance the harder the engine and tranny have to work to get the same effect unless i am just not getting it ... seems like you would want thinner fluid on both ends.... thicher fluid would also contribute to more wear on non lubricated parts
Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: full maxx

it makes no sense to me if the front and back are locked together ... seems like thicker fluid would cause a loss in acceleration ... the more you increase resistance the harder the engine and tranny have to work to get the same effect unless i am just not getting it ... seems like you would want thinner fluid on both ends.... thicher fluid would also contribute to more wear on non lubricated parts
No you are just not getting it, the thicker fluid goes in the front and rear diff, when the car is travelling in a straight line the diffs don't do much so it will not affect speed or acceleration at all. When you turn the outside wheel travels further then the insde wheel so the diff allows it to turn faster to keep up with the inside. The thickness of oil in the diff controls how much faster the outer wheel can turn, thinner oil makes the diff more free and thicker oil makes it more locked, thick in the front will makes the truck push into the corner as the front will not want to steer, thick in the back will make the back drift as the back will not want to steer so will try and overtake the front. It has nothing to do with the 4x4 system and does not affect anything other then the way the car turns, although if you locked both diffs the car would have amazing traction as all four wheels would be permanantly engaged but the truck would hardly steer and at speed would probably not turn at all. Locking just the back diff can also make wheelies easier as one wheel cannot loose traction like it will with an open diff, but again steering will be very poor.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 AM

i think i need a better exp.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM

A diff only distributes power to whatever is driving. The fron and rear diffs distribute power to the left and right of the car. An open diff will allow all the power to the wheel with the least traction. Thicker oil in the diffs slow down this transfer of power to the wheel with the least traction and therby allow the other wheel to pull. Thia goes for both ends. Since there is no center diff the power from the engine goes front and rear equally. As long as all 4 wheels have traction they all pull.

A center diff will allow power to the front and back unequally so if one end has a tendancy to lose traction you put thicker oil in that end to control the loss of traction and thinner in the end that always has traction. The center diff distributes power to the ends of the car and usually has an oil weight that is between the front and rear. The front and rear ends travel different paths through a turn and a center diff allows the ends to stay moer "locked up", so to speak, to provide more traction while the center diff unloads and allows the car to turn. Under braking the front and rear can also provide more control with a center diff, I think. The big plus of a center diff is it allows the car to turn better while still putting a lot of power to the wheels.
This is not totally a perfect description but the basics are still there. Hope it helped.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Grits

A diff only distributes power to whatever is driving. The fron and rear diffs distribute power to the left and right of the car. An open diff will allow all the power to the wheel with the least traction. Thicker oil in the diffs slow down this transfer of power to the wheel with the least traction and therby allow the other wheel to pull. Thia goes for both ends. Since there is no center diff the power from the engine goes front and rear equally. As long as all 4 wheels have traction they all pull.

A center diff will allow power to the front and back unequally so if one end has a tendancy to lose traction you put thicker oil in that end to control the loss of traction and thinner in the end that always has traction. The center diff distributes power to the ends of the car and usually has an oil weight that is between the front and rear. The front and rear ends travel different paths through a turn and a center diff allows the ends to stay moer "locked up", so to speak, to provide more traction while the center diff unloads and allows the car to turn. Under braking the front and rear can also provide more control with a center diff, I think. The big plus of a center diff is it allows the car to turn better while still putting a lot of power to the wheels.
This is not totally a perfect description but the basics are still there. Hope it helped.
I suspect he will still not understand if he couldn't understand my description, I think the best thing would be for him to search for a description that uses diagrams and videos, there are a gew around, get googling!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: gt5500

No you are just not getting it, the thicker fluid goes in the front and rear diff, when the car is travelling in a straight line the diffs don't do much so it will not affect speed or acceleration at all. When you turn the outside wheel travels further then the insde wheel so the diff allows it to turn faster to keep up with the inside. The thickness of oil in the diff controls how much faster the outer wheel can turn, thinner oil makes the diff more free and thicker oil makes it more locked, thick in the front will makes the truck push into the corner as the front will not want to steer, thick in the back will make the back drift as the back will not want to steer so will try and overtake the front. It has nothing to do with the 4x4 system and does not affect anything other then the way the car turns, although if you locked both diffs the car would have amazing traction as all four wheels would be permanantly engaged but the truck would hardly steer and at speed would probably not turn at all. Locking just the back diff can also make wheelies easier as one wheel cannot loose traction like it will with an open diff, but again steering will be very poor.
gt I am new to this part of RC how things work on the truck and I get it. Very in dept explanation...
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Jatohulk

ORIGINAL: gt5500

gt I am new to this part of RC how things work on the truck and I get it. Very in dept explanation...
Are the ....... to suggest sarcasm? if not I don't how I could explain it any simpler, if you were being geniune then I am gald I could help
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 AM

No no gt I am saying that you explain it very well that all
Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Jatohulk

No no gt I am saying that you explain it very well that all
Cool, we all gotta give back to the forum after all so many people have helped me out on here before.