Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

The MAAC Paradigm

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

The MAAC Paradigm

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The MAAC Paradigm

The spins here are making me dizzy.

The arguments on either side haven't convinced me, I was at the AGM presentation by Transport Canada and, although it was friendly enough I couldn't help but feel we had "woken the sleeping giant". The speach seemed too tailored to the audience....

My personal take (has to be said) is that this whole process began as a personal Agenda (not mine) to involve Transport Canada with a goal of opening the doors to much larger models. I got the impression that Transport Canada was a bit shell shocked with the numbers (size, weight, horsepower) of a certain individuals presentation of their large aircraft ( including some spectacular crashes ).

I also got the impression that Transport Canada was hoping we would be able to continue as self managed ... providing we were to continue to work with them on definitions and restrictions... this latter seemed more reactionary.[X(]
Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there were two incidents that "woke the sleeping giant"; One member making approaches over a large number of spectators with his turbine and another where a large Aerobat doing doing 3-D type flying dumped it in front of spectators. Neither produced injuries, but each produced separate complaints to transport Can. by non-modelers.

I think Jim's take is pretty close, but I don't know what you mean about "personal agenda" part? Apparently, as they investigated, they did get a bit "shell-shocked" by what we were now flying. (ie; sizes, motors, speeds) As noted earlier, the administration at the time had no knowledge of MAAC, but were pleased to learn we were there and willing to let us handle modelling issues, but needed to come up with a modern Definition of what a "model aircraft" was. I was on my way out at the time and don't know if they have managed to clear that hurdle yet as they were scrappin about the definion. ..go figure . Transport Can. wanted us to keep it simple, with a generic description and a limiting weight. The Natural suggested weight would be the same as our insurance restriction, but then the personalities started banging heads and I'm not sure if or where it ended.

I'm the last one to want more government micro-management in any area of our lives, but TC does hold all the cards in relation to aircraft (big and small) and we need to keep close to those who play those cards lest we be blindsided. The fact that TC didn't even know we existed showed how we were neglectful in that department.

IMO, one of MAAC prime functions is government liason.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
I don't know what you mean about "personal agenda" part?
Let's let that one go, I shouldn't have mentioned it as I'm not about to discuss the matter without that person being here to defend their motivation. Suffice to say, I got the impression they were pushing to increase size restrictions by chaging the current definition in our insurance coverage by having a government body recognize some larger definition.

IMO, one of MAAC prime functions is government liason.
Old Scottish saying (loosely translated to be more politically correct):
"Never 'have relations' with someone who can turn (toss) the Caber(100 lb log) further than you".
Old 06-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Sharpy01

LOL......not bad Jim.

For the record, I wouldn't be in favour of larger models being covered by MAAC. Not to say, I wouldn't like seeing them, but I think if you're going into models into the hundreds of pounds, you are on your own.

I think the current limit is around 77lbs. (not certain on that)
Old 06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
britbrat

The really big fellas are super cool -- they also scare the snot out of me.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Jim_McIntyre

You're scaring me britbrat ... I think we have more in common than not.

We probably differ in opinion on turbines though ... they scare me more than wood chippers in a playground! [X(]
Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM
britbrat

I'm reluctant to agree, considering that I've already offended Andrew enough -- but yes, while they are stunning works of technology & the birds are shatteringly beautifull & exciting (I really would like one) --- they are absolutely terrifying as well.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, young fella, there is much you don't know and I'm not in the habit of "making things up".
Oh....I think there have been numerous times when your facts were slightly (I use that term loosely) skewed. Intentional or not only you can say....

With the first part of your comment I certainly hope you are not referring to me as being young and naive....
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 PM
can773

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

You're scaring me britbrat ... I think we have more in common than not.

We probably differ in opinion on turbines though ... they scare me more than wood chippers in a playground! [X(]
The most dangerous part of the hobby at the moment is charging large Li-Po batteries

Nothing like a good pile of highly flammable material being charged at high rates (400W) :-)
Old 06-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: can773

....................facts were slightly (I use that term loosely) skewed.
What kind of an engineer uses terms like "slightly", "loosely" & "skewed"? Must be some kind of industry rule you are fracturing? Is there some governing body of Engineers I can bring this to their attention?

With the first part of your comment I certainly hope you are not referring to me as being young and naive....
.............you are silly and young to suspect such skewed meaning in my loose scribblings. [8D]

Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
can773

....................facts were slightly (I use that term loosely) skewed.
What kind of an engineer uses terms like "slightly", "loosely" & "skewed"? Must be some kind of industry rule you are fracturing? Is there some governing body of Engineers I can bring this to their attention?

.............you are silly and young to suspect such skewed meaning in my loose scribblings. [8D]

MarK....did you not know that engineering is the science of "close enough"?

Although if you feel I have been incompetent and unethical as a professional engineer please speak to Regulatory Affairs within APEGGA (http://www.apegga.com/Regulatory/Complaints/toc.html) and lodge a complaint.

Prior to that though, please read the 9 lessons to comprehending engineers first....you may possibly understand us a bit better after that.

http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/download.php?id=15240
Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Sharpy01

....did you not know that engineering is the science of "close enough"?
Holy crap.............i'm an engineer too!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
can773

To think...I went to school for 4 years to be one.......[:@]

Oh wait, but you dont have that cool ring on your little finger like me though LOL
Old 06-30-2005, 07:03 PM
jhelps

I've played with both Horseshoes and Hand Grenades ... both significant examples of close enough !!! Where can I pick up my ring

JH
Old 07-01-2005, 09:08 AM
britbrat

To think...I went to school for 4 years to be one.......[:@]

Oh wait, but you dont have that cool ring on your little finger like me though LOL

Hmmmmmm --- me too [8D]. That's why we'll never be "right on" with each other -- just "close enough"
Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Jason Holdaway

Chad,

the 9 lessons to comprehending engineers was a riot. I will be taking that one in to work. I'm not an engineer, but I am in the engineering department.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Jabba

ORIGINAL: kenair

* the majority of MAAC members join MAAC for the insurance, "you have to have MAAC to fly here"
* the majority of MAAC members fly for fun, fly for recreation.
* the majority of MAAC members fly R/C.
* the majority of MAAC members do not participate in formal model airplane competitions or air sports.
* the majority of MAAC members are not concerned about model aviation records
* the majority of MAAC members do not go to zone meeetings.
* the majority of MAAC members are not concerned about the advancment of model aviation, they are flying for fun or out there to have fun, one simple thing, go out to the flying field and have fun, relax......shoot the breeze, may not even fly
* the majority of new MAAC members fly r/c, buy arfs.
and do you think it is any different with the AMA!!!