Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

2005 MAAC Nats

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

2005 MAAC Nats

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:57 PM
jhelps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 MAAC Nats

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

Actually Jeff, I'm now kind of ticked at you as well for posting that link because what I just read in there is disgusting.

Not only was JABBA plainly in the wrong regarding the suggesting that the photos were doctored, now his buddies come roaring to his defense and blanket smack "Aussies" and the last clown comes on with an ignorant comment that the photos weren't that good anyways.

That's just friggin embarrassing.

ON behalf of Canadian flyers, I'd like to apologize to any non-canuck flyers who strayed into that thread through the link and read that dribble. Please realize they are not representative of the vast majority. [&o]

Marc

As I said in one of the posts on this issue I know when to apologize.

Let me humbly beg forgivness from all who may be embarassed by the nonsense that was posted, modified, withdrawn, let die and then resurected again on the other thread.

JH

PS Keith I liked your explaination on shadows etc. And it was a damn fine photo.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn fine photo.

Exceptionally interesting if you have an true interest in aviation.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Jason Holdaway

I've always hated Windsor, and after going through this thread, I'm starting to figure out why. I don't see how you guys can argue with people who's only objective is to argue. Surely you realize by now that if smith and shaw burnt down an orphanage it would be OK, and to say otherwise would be anti-maac. If it wouldn't be such a long drive to work, I'd move to a different zone.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:32 AM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: Jason Holdaway

I've always hated Windsor, and after going through this thread, I'm starting to figure out why. I don't see how you guys can argue with people who's only objective is to argue. Surely you realize by now that if smith and shaw burnt down an orphanage it would be OK, and to say otherwise would be anti-maac. If it wouldn't be such a long drive to work, I'd move to a different zone.

Oh my God!!

Be very careful Jason. By pointing out that you are a free thinker "they" will hunt you down and you will be assimilated!!

Seriously I do know better, but my sense of fair play took over and sucked me in.

Will try better in future.

JH
Old 08-05-2005, 12:35 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got 3 more flights today LOL

Its summer you guys need to spend it away from the computer. I guarantee you would have much more fun flying! There is lots of time to flame each other in the winter.

Here is a nice link, you can see the beautiful weather I had to fly in tonight :-)

http://wx.ca/?service=page/Trends
Old 08-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Morison

ORIGINAL: jhelps
PS Keith I liked your explaination on shadows etc. And it was a damn fine photo.
Thanks Jeff,
There was enough things about the photo that raised my curiosity about authenticity taht I wanted to look for the glaring errors. Bit by bit I became clear to me that the pic was likely legit. But then again, having worked as a news photo editor, identifying fakes is part of my professional skillset.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Jason Holdaway

Oh my God!!

Be very careful Jason. By pointing out that you are a free thinker "they" will hunt you down and you will be assimilated!!

Seriously I do know better, but my sense of fair play took over and sucked me in.

Will try better in future.

JH
No need to hunt me down. most of them know who I am. I certainly had a few dirty looks at the TO AGM. I'm also familiar with these I am better than though people. It's sickening really. They think that they are so much better than everybody else. I especially love the "MAAC instructor thread" what a chuckle. I flew my first "real" plane solo, (yah know, the ones you need to contact ATC to take off) after 20 hours instructor time, and they're wanting that for toys (granted, some people may need that) they forget that this is a hobby. sad that I can fly a $175 000 aircraft and not have to hear half the political crap I do flying a $300 toy. The "silent majority" is certainly not a figment of the imagination as these people like to think. Not too long ago when the petition was going around, every single member of our club signed. This year, our past president stepped down due to personal issues (and moving away) A new president was....well...pretty much self appointed....after that, the first thing on the clubs agenda was to have the ZD come by for a visit. What a treat it would be they thought. This from the very same people that signed the petition. Every one of them. Disgusting. There's abit more to it than this, but I no longer belong to the club. I fly off private land now, was out with my seaplane last weekend, had a blast. Why do we need this crap? Let's just fly some toy airplanes, but nope, some people just need to feel so important at everybody els'es expense. Even the boy scouts are more mature than this. I doubt that I'll even rejoin MAAC next year.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:32 AM
ronnieo1

ORIGINAL: Jason Holdaway

I was never a fan of Strathroy either...but I can't blame it all on you.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:59 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A valiant effort by the 2005 maac team but it seem the interest is not there except for a few disciplines. R/C gliders cancelled - from a fai world scale championship to not enough entries for a nats.

Time to regroup and promote areas in MAAC that have growth potential.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:45 PM
ronnieo1

Below Ron, I've saved you the effort of looking back to the "practical end" of this thread because you obviously haven't read it. (it was the page previous)

As pointed out, I have no interest in any event failing, but I do have an interest if members (my) money is wasted or lost........as should all members.

I'm afraid it's your attitude that somehow, everyone, Must and should sacrifice something to attend a competitive event in which they(I) have little interest in that Causes your stress. There's plenty of good events around here, that I have an interest in participating in, that can use my attending/labour support. I have difficulty getting to many of the events here because of real life time eaters so there is little value in trying to travel 1200 miles to attend an event there...............that I have no passion for.

Do YOU get it, yet? [sm=tired.gif]

Hey Ed. Far from immaterial......................but a moot point because after a second request, I did receive relevant information regarding the event. (Posted below)

The request of hard info/facts really shouldn't be passed off as "grumbling". An informed membership is potentially a more active membership. I have no interest in seeing the event fail because I am a "co-loser" if it does. I simply don't want to see any further big losses related to individual events. I wish life were as simple as, "take a day or two off work and attend and support the event", but it isn't and there are plenty of events around here in my interest area that need as much support as I can manage on my limited time off.

Regardless, the bottom line is that Director Shaw states that no association money is at risk and with that information, the total numbers attending/competing really doesn't matter to me at this point. Here's the bit I got and my follow-up response;

----------------------------

"All
As of now there is NO seed money in our hands nor do we expect to need any. There are over 100 entrants to this point but Helli,Electric,and Sailplane events have been cancelled due to lack of entrants. Scale Aerobatics and Scale are the highest entrant events.
A full report will be in the MAAC Mag after the event.
Hope to see you there.
Gerry Shaw "

-----------------------------

"Thanks.

Confirming that "NO" association funds have been expended for this event, there is obviously no need for the requested budget information.

I appreciate your reponse and wish you good weather and good fun.

I'll look for the report in the mag.

Cheers.

Marc Sharpe"

I get it that "you" don't want to participate in any National event...what I dont' get is why you want to spread that gospel to think that everyone else should share that view and the majority don't, so why waste your time and effort to convince anyone..now you know why everyone rolls their eyes at the very mention of your name..a thorn in the arse of MAAC and most of everyone around the events knows it. It always seems you and rest of the dickhead posse round up at each event held in this area...and it's no surprise. You know it and we all know it...same old..same old. Grab that whistle and get down here...show that above the 100 excuses you have for not attending, you can find one to attend. Surprise someone. Geez. If Carl Layden can make it from the East Coast..why can't you. If I'm considered the moderate voice of rccanada, MAAC, competition, you're considered the moderate of anything else but. Get outta MAAC if you're so concerned, and the rest of the other 6 that only agree with you. But shut up already. We'll see the rest of the real flyers at the Nats.
Cheers[:@]
Old 08-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: ronnieo1 (Ron Harway/Windsor)

I get it that "you" don't want to participate in any National event...what I dont' get is why you want to spread that gospel to think that everyone else should share that view and the majority don't, so why waste your time and effort to convince anyone..now you know why everyone rolls their eyes at the very mention of your name..a thorn in the arse of MAAC and most of everyone around the events knows it. It always seems you and rest of the dickhead posse round up at each event held in this area...and it's no surprise. You know it and we all know it...same old..same old. Grab that whistle and get down here...show that above the 100 excuses you have for not attending, you can find one to attend. Surprise someone. Geez. If Carl Layden can make it from the East Coast..why can't you. If I'm considered the moderate voice of rccanada, MAAC, competition, you're considered the moderate of anything else but. Get outta MAAC if you're so concerned, and the rest of the other 6 that only agree with you. But shut up already. We'll see the rest of the real flyers at the Nats.
Cheers[:@]
I suspect, that if we were to be treated with the video of you typing this ..........ahhh........message, we would see a large vien on your forehead groaning under the pressure. Try to remember Ron, it's toy airplanes we are talking about and it's not worth a heart attack.

Regardless, you're doing a terrific job of getting your "message" out, but I don't think it's the message you think your getting out.

We'd appreciate it if you could manage to stop being so ignorant. Nobody else here is taking it to your level. If you are incapable of carrying on a discussion of adult quality, perhaps you should save it for other sites.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:57 PM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: ronnieo1

But shut up already. We'll see the rest of the real flyers at the Nats.
READ AS: All of the other 9800 or so MAAC members who DO NOT show up at the Nats are not real flyers.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:22 PM
can773

READ AS: All of the other 9800 or so MAAC members who DO NOT show up at the Nats are not real flyers.

Really? Ahhhhh dang....guess I will have to give back my full scale licsence :-)

Oh no wait, thats because I got it in Manitoba at St. Andrews north of Winterpeg and its not MAAC approved. LOLOLOLOL.

Too much sun/Smirnoff twisters (actually those were at home ) at the field this afternoon....oppps did I forget to go back to work after I left at lunch....damn [sm=RAINFRO.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-05-2005, 10:14 PM
jhelps

By the way I believe the Winnipeg Flying Club has "closed" pending a restructuring. Not certain if they will re-open. This very much restricts where folks can learn to fly in the Winnipeg area.

~110 hrs - in 150,152,172,180, Aerobat and a dream 2 hours in a CF-18 Hornet!!!!!!

JH
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 AM
ronnieo1

No...at least some of them will "ATTEMPT" to get there or support it morally, but as for you handful of anti-comps, you are still a very small minority. Let the games begin, while you protesters stay outside the gate waving your placards and getting pepper sprayed.

As for Sharp, I don't get excited, nor angry when I type. I just type and giggle...then wait til you all get wound up. It's pure entertainment. Put a camera on me and I'm smiling and typing. Simply fun, while Im bored here at work. See the other 9800 or so at the Nats.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Sharpy01

...ok ronny, whatever makes you feel good, but you should at least try to make some sense while preparing your "positive" messages.

................by the way, anbody out there know how to "morally" support a toy airplane event? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 AM
ronnieo1

...ok ronny, whatever makes you feel good, but you should at least try to make some sense while preparing your "positive" messages.

................by the way, anbody out there know how to "morally" support a toy airplane event? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Mark..other than your opinion...nothing makes sense to you...maybe morally is a wrong word....."ok with it" sound better....or " competition doesn't bother me...but I support it". Obviously, it is supported by the majority because the event will go on regardless of your opposing position. Relax and go flying Dude.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:01 AM
jhelps

No...at least some of them will "ATTEMPT" to get there or support it morally, but as for you handful of anti-comps, you are still a very small minority. Let the games begin, while you protesters stay outside the gate waving your placards and getting pepper sprayed.

As for Sharp, I don't get excited, nor angry when I type. I just type and giggle...then wait til you all get wound up. It's pure entertainment. Put a camera on me and I'm smiling and typing. Simply fun, while Im bored here at work. See the other 9800 or so at the Nats.
Lets see, in your world discenting opinion = anti-comp. Additionally as your reply was to my post you have labelling ME anti-comp. Please Ron, using your Internet skills, find the posts I have written that are anti-comp. While you're at it go to Scale Masters members list for the last several years (not paid yet this year) and you will see me listed. I am a supporter of scale events even though I get to very few (not yet retired). Anti-MAAC ? - I regularly pay my dues in advance as I was told it helped provide a stable funding base to plan budgets from.

It seems that simply because I agree with Marc on some issues (focus on fields, frequencies and good transparent governance) I am one of the "Manitoba 7". So be it ...

Perhaps you could try debating the message instead of individual and group attacks.

JH

Old 08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Sharpy01

Ronny:

Ok, I think I have it. The entire point of all your mumbled tirades is to get a message across that Marc Sharpe is "anti-competition".

That was a lot of work to be wrong Ron. Not sure what you consider "anti-competition", but I'm afraid it's just a matter of not having any interest in that area. It's like labelling me "anti-helicopter" because I have little interest in that either? It's stupid Ron.

You need to bring it up a notch buddy.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:44 AM
ronnieo1

Ronny:

Ok, I think I have it. The entire point of all your mumbled tirades is to get a message across that Marc Sharpe is "anti-competition".

That was a lot of work to be wrong Ron. Not sure what you consider "anti-competition", but I'm afraid it's just a matter of not having any interest in that area. It's like labelling me "anti-helicopter" because I have little interest in that either? It's stupid Ron.

You need to bring it up a notch buddy.
AS I said before....just look at who started the last 6 topics in the Anti-MAAC forum here...or is the most avid poster and it certainly doesnt support anything that MAAC represents....that speaks volumes to me. Jeff maybe not as much and I apologize to him, but supporting Marc doesnt leave you in very good company if you think that you are in favor of anything good MAAC represents. I'm gonna bow out of this forum, because Ive said how I feel and anything to the contrary means diddly to me anyways. Cheers.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Morison

The odd thing here is that no one has yet pointed out that all mark is asking for is some basic level of fiscal transparency and accountability ... regardless of the event.
A good example is that as a director, Mark fully supported my bid to host the F3J worlds, even though at most 4 MAAC members would be able to compete. (probably 25-40 at most benifited from the event ... far less than any nats) The event used office resources, and had an operating budget of some $50,000 or so. HOWEVER, the event also presented a defendable budget that showed a surplus at expected levels, explained the groundwork for attendence expectations, did not rely on sponsorship or spectator attendence to ballance the books and provided contingencies in the case of shortfalls and showed the timeline for identifying problems - at least 3 months ahead of the event. YOU have to remember that Mark never questioned the event (openly) and referred to it as a good prototype for how to present a business case. YES, F3J is an easier event to put on , without the need for a vast mumber of judges to be brought in and housed - I'm not debating that.

Mark's concerns, as I have seen them, have less to do with competition than they do with hosting an event that doesn't present a budget that is then scrutinized before being approved to go forward by the board.
It is important to note that a deficit event can be approved by the board if they feel the event is worth spending the money on. If an event is expected to bring in some needed high exposure publicity, then incurring a loss to ensure the event will bring the best publicity MAY be worth it. (there are ways to measure the value of exposure ... typically at least 5 times the investment is considered a good 'value' for sponsorship dollar.)

It is also important to note that at one point Mark also said, about the 2005 Nats, - to paraphrase - no seed money , no loss expected ... have fun boys

Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
jhelps

Ron

The key point in your last post was "us" not supporting " ... what MAAC represents". That is the crux of most discussions here ... what is it we as members (ALL members not a select few on either side of the fence) want MAAC to represent. Virtually everyone posting here is very free in using statements like "Most members only join for the insurance... or only a minority are against competition) when in reality no-one knows what most people want or don't want. If the numbers at the NATS are around 200 registrants in the most populated zone(s) of the country WRT MAAC members is that a success or failure or does it even matter. Do numbers of registrants even define success or failure? To me one gauge of success would be spectator turnout as that is how we attract new members.

What is it that upsets me? The ability to effect change is shot down at every turn through procedural means, or active attacks on members proposing change. While of course I do not have the details, a ZD info'd everyone that he would not seek re-election due to MAAC "politics", he further indicated that he would be happy to help trying to word future bylaw proposals and/or other submissions as most are defeated by being ruled out of order. Another ZD was formally chastised by 10 of the directors for unilaterally issuing a statement re insurance that was not correct (apparently at his "worst" Sharp only ever had 5 directors mad at him at one time). All the above sounds to me like anti-MAAC activities and none of it originated here.

For the record I hope everyone has a good time at the NATS (as I do for every formal and informal flying event), that new friendships are made, that volunteers are duely recognized for their efforts and that the event brings new members to the fold.

JH

Old 08-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Sharpy01

Thanks for pointing out the facts Keith. However, Ron, and his immediate circle of supporters, are never interested in truth and fact, but it will serve to quiet them up for a while because whenever members, other than myself, begin to produce fact they realize just how stupid they must sound to anyone capable of reasoning........and as Jeff found out, begin to delete some the BS they have been spouting in previous posts. (a wee hint Jeff is to make sure you quote their posts so they still exist after they turtle and begin deleting their bs)

Keith is bang on with his assessment of my support of his World Glider event. The business case was properly done and timely and was bulletproof. Why wouldn't I support such an event as ZD.

. I'm gonna bow out of this forum..
Finally, something that makes sense from Ronny.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:16 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can label me as anti competition too only because I have an interest in MAAC surviving. The MAAC board, the SW zone and a few others continue to plod along the "built by competitors for competitors" route that will be the end of MAAC soon.
Even Dave Brown of the AMA recognized this fact that the vast majority of aeromodellers are making a trip out to the field a social and recreational event and almost no one wants to compete.

It's not about whether competition is right or wrong, support or non support, it's just the plain fact that aeromodelling competition is dying - so be it, learn to accept what is happending and move forward and grasp the opportunities.

The few posts in the last MAAC magazine asking members to "try compeition, you'll like it" is getting pathetic almost begging instead of endorsing the trend that aeromodelling is a great recreational hobby pastime and try to catch more interest and add more members.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:48 PM
can773

ORIGINAL: kenair
it's just the plain fact that aeromodelling competition is dying - so be it, learn to accept what is happending and move forward and grasp the opportunities.
If you think that is so....why then in two weeks is France about to host the largest F3A World Championships in history? Representation from 43 countries around the world.......this will be the second record set for attendance since the 2000. Seems to me like more and more countries are actively participating in competitive events.

Feel free to watch from a distance

http://www.world-championships-f3a.com/

http://www.f3acanada.org/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.