Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

2006 Nats

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

2006 Nats

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 07:41 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Nats

I guess is it the maac magazines fault now.

from the can of rc at [link]http://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=17037[/link]

Propworn wrote:
I know Keith has tried to support the Nats this year but it would have been nice to receive the magazine by the first of the month to see what was going on. I know, go to the MAAC web site but what of those who do not have internet access and rely on the Magazine for the latest information and updates. Kind of disappointing when it arrives after the fact.
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

As has been said, there are many MANY factors to getting the magazine delivered ... and I don't have control of a lot of them. Also, as has been mentioned, this week is just about the worst week you can pick in the cycle to promote an event in the magazine. When the dates were first announced I mentioned to the board and the organisers that 2-3 weeks later or a month earlier would be better from promotion and 'building' excitement in the magazine.

Beyond that, I asked all committee chairs and directors to submit ther reports early, and got the majority or reports in within days of the deadline. The content I didn't get before their extended deadline, was the Nats Content. In fact, I didn't receive any indication of a lack of Nats content until 2 days before I was goning to press and no indication of the cancellation of nats events until the day originally I wanted to go to press.

If everyone HAD met their deadlines and provided the expected material, it would have still been tight to get the magazine out before the nats, because of the timing of the event ... but That's life.
Hopefully we'll see timely event reports and photos so we can have some great Nats coverage in the October issue.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh?

I don't see anyone assigning fault ... and fault for what?

One of us is confused....[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lord. Without fail, Propwornout makes comment or starts this same/similar thread on Rccan..... every..... single ......month.

It appears that usual group for whatever "world"ly reason, doesn't like Keith's management of the Mag and as usual, will never let up until Keith packs it in. Hell, my mag was here on the 1st of the month! The advertisments have been in the previous mags so there isn't much point to his whine. Flyers have long ago decided where they are spending there holidays and weekends.

Keith is more gracious than I would ever be in pointing out that information was apparently late or not received prior to the deadline. If there is fault to be laid, it should be put upon those who were responsible for getting wanted information to the mag in a timely fashion.

I'm sure we'll all look forward to next month's whine about the lack of coverage in followup issues.

........oh, by the way. Did everyone know that the closest bids to Keith's to do the mag consistently come in 2X or more higher despite knowing that the number of pages in the mag are set by the board? (which Keith regularly exceeds on his own dime) You may want to dig up an old copy of the previous editors mag and compare the quality.

.....tired and old............tired and old [&:]

Old 08-11-2005, 08:53 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

Good lord. Without fail, Propwornout makes comment or starts this same/similar thread on Rccan..... every..... single ......month.

It appears that usual group for whatever "world"ly reason, doesn't like Keith's management of the Mag and as usual, will never let up until Keith packs it in. Hell, my mag was here on the 1st of the month! The advertisments have been in the previous mags so there isn't much point to his whine. Flyers have long ago decided where they are spending there holidays and weekends.

Keith is more gracious than I would ever be in pointing out that information was apparently late or not received prior to the deadline. If there is fault to be laid, it should be put upon those who were responsible for getting wanted information to the mag in a timely fashion.

I'm sure we'll all look forward to next month's whine about the lack of coverage in followup issues.

........oh, by the way. Did everyone know that the closest bids to Keith's to do the mag consistently come in 2X or more higher despite knowing that the number of pages in the mag are set by the board? (which Keith regularly exceeds on his own dime) You may want to dig up an old copy of the previous editors mag and compare the quality.

.....tired and old............tired and old [&:]

I still dont have mine yet.....mailman must have thought the plane on the cover was sooooo sexy he just had to keep it for himself LOL....

Since Ed got 4 maybe one of them is mine

I do actually read every page of it eventually so I kinda want it to take with me to France!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Yes, Dennis has been complaining about the timeliness of the the magazine and it's content. I recall something about his submitting an article before a deadline and it not being published until a year later, I also recall others chiming in with similar claims....

What I don't get is Ken's inference that these gripes have something to do with assigning fault. What fault? Is he spinning some tale inferring that something is amiss with the Nationals and the magazine is to be held up as the fall guy?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Sharpy01

........I don't dare an attempt to climb into Ken's Ukie head on his thought processes. [&:]

As far as not being published right away? That's kind of what a magazine editor is supposed to do, isn't it? decide on what and when and where submitted material goes in? Wasn't it some kind of handy gadget thingy that Dennis submitted? Stuff like wouldn't be timely and one shouldn't expect it to be in right away.

Hell, when I submitted a construction article to RCM, it was almost a year before they let me know that they were planning to use it in the mag and that much time again before it actually appeared.

Methinks it's time o'l Dennis listens, learns and understands ........................or buries that particular hatchet. He can always take aim at your's truley when he feels the need to "modelrage" because I'd rather that, than eventually losing Keith and revert to having to "use" the mag in the washroom, as opposed to reading it.

Hey Chad, is that a handlaunch plane? Must be hard on props landing without wheels?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Morison

Hell, even I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip :-)

In all fairness, I try and be reasonable with my pricing, and the current contract runs for another 2 years (to the end of 2007.) At that point ... who knows what will happen. The assocaiation may decide to cancel the publication ... opting for electronic communications, they may decide to go with a different publisher (I can think of at least 1 other company that would bid), or I may be fortunate enough to be awarded a third contract and round out the decade of printing MAC Mag.
I woudn't be so quick to assume that a new publisher would not produce a quality magazine ... but thanks for your compliments and faith in my abilities.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:32 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chad, is that a handlaunch plane? Must be hard on props landing without wheels?
I have handlauched it before....not that particular model but my glow one

Nothing like the model being able to support its own weight at half throttle LOL....makes carrying to the runway really simple.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: Morison

Hell, even I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip :-)
...........oooooppps!

Darn romours. Funnin with ya Keith. We never actually got to see the bids as they was afraid someone like me might blab! Can you imagine that?

Better put a quick end to that one before the MACk dogs start chompin at me heels..............ouch, ouch.... down........DOWN!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: can773

Nothing like the model being able to support its own weight at half throttle LOL....makes carrying to the runway really simple.
.........hey, that sounds like another rule Chad? Whatderyathink, "no carrying your plane by the tail in an upright fashion supported by thrust unless a measured power ratio of a minimum 2:1 can be demonstated .................... from behind a safety fence........with a hardhat....and a bomb suit."

Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Morison

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre
Yes, Dennis has been complaining about the timeliness of the the magazine and it's content. I recall something about his submitting an article before a deadline and it not being published until a year later, I also recall others chiming in with similar claims....
Jim, The association provides me with a priority list for content that I have to follow, for the most part. "general articles' submitted by members are actually at the bottom of the list. There is a percentage cap on advertising space, and director reports, committee reports, events listings and 'maac business' have been filling the pages of every issue this year, even with additional pages!

I like to have 'value added' content, and have been dissapointed with stacked up 'official' content, but as teh event list grows smaller we gain some space.
It is interesting to note that the participation by committee chairs and Zone Directors has increased significantly over the past 5 years.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Sharpy01

ORIGINAL: Morison

It is interesting to note that the participation by committee chairs and Zone Directors has increased significantly over the past 5 years.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Keith, I was not criticising you, just trying to place context on something I thought had potential to be taken out of context.

Personally, I enjoy the magazine and think it's a great value. I always read it cover to cover ... after scanning for my own personal interest topics.[8D]
Old 08-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Morison

Jim, understood - I just wanted to clarify that while I do have a lot of control over content ... I still have to follow MAAC's word on priorities. It can be frustrating for contributors (and me) to watch genuinely interesting articles sit unpublished for a lengthy time ...
Old 08-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Randy Brown

Chad today I heard the same thing also

and good luck at the worlds bro

Randy

ORIGINAL: can773

I have heard that Vancouver may have pulled their support to host the 2006 Nats?

Anyone else hear of this?