Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Industry to rub out MAAC?

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Industry to rub out MAAC?

Old 11-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Drexus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Industry to rub out MAAC?

In a recent club meeting held this past Thursday, a comment was made about the possibility of MAAC memberships dropping over the next few years. It was then that I realized what was happening.

I'm well aware of the ongoing trend for model airplane manufactures producing smaller and smaller products. A lot of the cost saving measures manufactures looks at is: material, and the quantity there of. It's technically true that if you make a plane half the size, you don't save half the materials. You save 4 times the materials. "Knock off 2 inches and you save $30.00". The cost is squared to the size of the product. It would be hard not to see where the industry is going when you pick up Tom Atwood's latest issue to see a foam electric on the front cover... in the middle of the prime sales season for this year.

For some manufactures, you just can't make a plane any cheaper. And to some pilots buying the planes, they ask "Can they make this any cheaper?!" The answer is, yes, and no. No, they've probably squeezed every ounce of foam out to make the part labelled "wing". But Yes, they still can make it cheaper - by making it smaller. Ever since the park flyer style of product was introduced, people have been drawn to it more an more every year. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, in fact, its nice to have some small electric something-er-other to toy around with. The problem is, people coming into the hobby, and pilots who warm to the idea, buy more and more of what is current. What that means is... If the demand increases (and it has) manufactures will continue to focus their efforts in developing more products for the demand.

Soon a substantial portion of the hobby will be filled with mostly small electric planes, or electric planes that are much, much bigger... and there is nothing wrong with that... if you think people will take these products to a MAAC certified field. Yes, with every product that says "Backyard" or "Park" or even "Electric", you can bet there is no mention that you have to be a MAAC member to fly these things. For the most part, some of these tiny little planes are light and fluffy enough that nobody would question if it would damage the windshield of a car. But as things progress, the idea that you have to become a MAAC member to fly something "electric" would never cross the mind of the first time pilot. How are they to know when they should take their electric plane to a MAAC certified field, much less get a MAAC membership.

If everyone picked up an electric kit/arf/arc/rtf, and flew it at the soccer field, who would be left to support MAAC and the safety protocols put in place? One comment that came from Thursday's meeting "All you need is one accident, and the city will outlaw the planes from every park and soccer field". Sure, that sounds good to some. But that would be more damaging to the hobby in more ways then one. First people would stop buying model airplanes altogether being oblivious that MAAC exists along with designated areas to fly, and secondly, the impact on the Park flying industry will cave overnight. No city wants a potential liability problem on their hands, and what one does, the others will follow.

There will be a scramble to deliver information to the public to clear the air. But will that mean people will engage the hobby - while they passively accept the fate of a MAAC registration for a foam plane? Human nature.. er... guy-nature says otherwise. You can't control what people do. They will fly their planes where ever they like with the notion "It's just a toy". And as we all know, there are some manufactures out there who want people to think just that.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Sethhunter

Default RE: Industry to rub out MAAC?

Interesting. I've been flying scale, some large, for 35 years without giving MAAC much thought. Ironically in the past few months, when I was considering joining, folks I know who are members strongly suggested MAAC was irrelevant, declining. and not worth joining at all. I've visited the MAAC website a few times to try and figure out why I should join. I couldn't find any reason there. Perhaps if the organization is in decline, it's worth considering what value it offers, and how/if its promoted. I don't think the problem is the issues debated on RCU - dues increases, foamies, etc. I admit I'm a MAAC outsider - can anyone shed some light on what the organization is about - maybe that will shed some insite on why its declining?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Being from the USA, I wonder why you would consider joining MAAC, unless you intend to fly in Canada?

As for the sky is falling due to foamies... well [sm=lol.gif]

I have a few park flyers ... I enjoy them ... but they are no substitue for my larger aircraft, nothing flies like the big stuff. Where I live/fly, I see an increase at both ends of the size spectrum. I see a lot more small electrics, I also see a lot more giant scale. Interestingly enough, I see a lot of the same people flying both. The two large events near here, Chatham and Kitchener, were both good examples of that. Plenty of large stuff flying throughout the day, plenty of foamies etc. in the evening and early mornng (when noise restricitions were in effect and the winds were down).

Is MAAC in decline? I think it more appropos to ask "is the hobby in decline"? Sadly, I think it is, the current generation seems to have more interest in online gaming and chatting than building and flying model aircraft. The average age of the modeller is increasing, many are experiencing failing health, others are succumbing to more socially acceptable mundane 'adventures' such as golf.

But all is not lost, I do see some promise in the ounger generation. They don't fly like we did, they find more excitement in 3D flying, hovering and fltting about. It's up to us older generation to stop looking down our noses at this form of flying, and start embracing their approach. Much like we were embraced by those who probably looked at us as spoiled with our pre-cut kits, iron on coverings, and radio control.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:19 PM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

Another question to ponder, for every MAAC member signed up in this country how many non-members are active in the hobby?...and how do we get the non-members to sign up?

I'm not sure that the hobby is in decline.....but it certainly looks different than it did 25 years ago!

R
Old 11-05-2005, 10:31 PM
extra300xs

MAAC is in total control of the hobby, I would not give up on MAAC yet, they have a lot of influence in the hobby. MAAC has contacts all thought the hobby from the Aero Club of Canada , Dot, AMA and so on.

I'm confident the board has has plan to deal with the park flyers. Once the park flyers learn about the benefits of MAAC, they will not hestitate in joing MAAC, we should start seeing a jump in MAAC membership.

Plus the image of MAAC has been boosted through the efforts of Chuck Smith and Keith Morrison who have held world championships that raised the profile of MAAC and aeromodelling through out Canada and in the hobby world.

Now that Chuck Smith is on the board, he will be the spark MAAC needs to get things moving, look how the Chuck Smith "Nats" got everyone excited about it.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Ed Smith

Yes, with every product that says "Backyard" or "Park" or even "Electric", you can bet there is no mention that you have to be a MAAC member to fly these things.
The reason for the above is simple. MAAC membership is not required to fly "These things". MAAC membership entitles one to many benefits. The individual has to decide whether the benefits and services offered have value.

Ed S
Old 11-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Sethhunter

My most sincere apologies to the MAAC and all who posted here. I responded without checking the forum carefully - I thought the topic was IMAA. I do fly in Canada periodically and enjoy it immensely. Again, apologies to our friends to the North!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:31 AM
j79

The MAAC executive has been actively promoting the Canadian Hobby shops program, another benefit of MAAC, you can be assured that every park flyer box leaves a Canadian hobby shop with a MAAC application form.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Ed Smith

My most sincere apologies to the MAAC and all who posted here. I responded without checking the forum carefully - I thought the topic was IMAA. I do fly in Canada periodically and enjoy it immensely. Again, apologies to our friends to the North!
Sethunter posted on the wrong Forum. We should have got a membership fee before he realised it!

Ed S
Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
reo

"I'm confident the board has has plan to deal with the park flyers."

Unfortunately, I doubt that this is the case. The electric 'park flyer' trend has been in full force for at least 3 or 4 years now and still no response from MAAC on how to deal with the situation of modelers flying here, there, and everywhere usually with no regard (or not aware) of local fields in the immediate area.

It still comes down to my old and well worn argument, MAAC dues, club dues and initiation fees can easily run $200 for a first timer, and he may not have paid much more for his airplane and radio etc.

As for the benefits of MAAC, let's face it, a large portion of the folks joining are doing so because 1)...insurance (and I think most realize that this is important and see the value) and 2)...MAAC membership is a requirement for club membership.

As discussed in other forums, if there was anymore to it you would see the Zone meetings well attended which they are not, some even having trouble forming quorums.

Again, repeating myself here from other threads, I think the organization will need to reinvent itself and become a service and lobbying organization only. Sponsoring events and such benefits only a VERY SMALL minority of the membership.

An example of a 'service' organization is the Canadian Automobile Association. They provide services only (insurance, travel, road side assistance, discounts at retailers)to their members, no more, no less and all this for $76 per year.

Another example is the Retail Council of Canada, again, services and lobbying only, no more no less. Membership here is more costly but the monetary benefits throughout the year offset the cost many times over.

Just some thoughts and of course opinions only........Ron
Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 PM
cessna206a

Again, repeating myself here from other threads, I think the organization will need to reinvent itself and become a service and lobbying organization only. Sponsoring events and such benefits only a VERY SMALL minority of the membership.

An example of a 'service' organization is the Canadian Automobile Association. They provide services only (insurance, travel, road side assistance, discounts at retailers)to their members, no more, no less and all this for $76 per year.
Ron, your points are on the mark. This idea of an service organization has potential. Keep up the good ideas.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Drexus

Although it would be nice to have a service oriented MAAC, the resources to offer anything above what it now does is absent. To take it a step further would require more staff hours - or more staff, and thus a greater cost to members.

I seriously doubt $200 is an expected fee for a first timer between club costs and MAAC - unless the club has a paved runway with leather furniture at the line - or at least I would expect so in comparison to what we get at our club.

It's an interesting point to ask the same question from the flip-side. How many pilots are out there with no knowledge of MAAC? Given that there is no law that says you must be a MAAC member to command a model plane through the air, but what would the world be like if half of the drivers on the road didn't have insurance? Yes, insurance is one part of the package, but safety guidelines and operation rules - and they are not only there to keep things safe, but keep things fair and organized. The whole structured of process in showing up at the field and getting yourself ready to fly is much like it is at the airport. The rules are there to cover all potential circumstances in how a pilot will present himself. If someone shows up with an 80 pound jet, then everyone there becomes real glad we have rules to ensure safe operation of the field.

This interesting point of how many people are flying without MAAC makes my point that much more pronounced. If there is no real personal obligation (much less a legal one) to join MAAC, then what is a person to think when he firsts sees a 1/4 scale Extra 540 Electric sitting on the shelf? Will he think "Wow, that's real dangerous looking... better get some insurance..."? Not likely.

I really don't think the hobby is in decline. In fact, I feel it's about to expand. If we all look at the demographics of the hobby, we would see the baby-boomers walking in the front door of the hobby shops. Not everyone retires with a yacht and a new cottage by the lake. If every MAAC member spent as much on models as some spend on golfing or travelling, then there wouldn't be a manufacture out there that could keep stock on a shelf.

True, MAAC does not have control of the hobby. They only offer a controlled structure to their members. I would imagine my story might be a little different if I lived way out in the bush, and the nearest town had a population of .... 28. Then the urge to join MAAC might be a bit radical.

As it stands, people are getting the idea that model planes are friendly, fun loving toys just waiting to perform for the first time pilot. I remember the very first plane I wanted to buy. The mere mention (and I won't) of the plane I wanted - made people spit and cough over their coffee. Honestly, how is anyone to know what they should be doing?

As for the foamies, MAAC can't instigate anything they don't have control over. Not unless it becomes Canadian law. Until that day, it remains voluntary. Imagine... if people didn't have to pay for car insurance... Would the auto insurance industry be in decline? Is MAAC's membership in decline in reference to the "Actual" number of pilots? Don't look at the numbers from year to year, look at the ratio. With more and more "care-free" products of whatever size, I'm afraid the ratio will slip away from MAAC's favour.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 AM
reo

" seriously doubt $200 is an expected fee for a first timer between club costs and MAAC - unless the club has a paved runway with leather furniture at the line - or at least I would expect so in comparison to what we get at our club. "

In our area we have two major clubs (grass fields, basic club houses) that have $60 annual dues, $100 initiation fees for the first timer, add into that $75 for MAAC and my math says $235.00. This is not fiction, if in doubt PM me and I'll give you contacts in these clubs to confirm the same.

On another note, I was not suggesting that MAAC offer more services but in fact cut back on some of the expenditures that do not constitute a service. I think all that is expected from the organization from the vast majority of members is 1) insurance 2)being able to fly at club fields due to MAAC membership....and maybe 3)...lobby on their behalf when required.

Ron

Old 11-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: reo
In our area we have two major clubs (grass fields, basic club houses) that have $60 annual dues, $100 initiation fees for the first timer
CRIPES AMIGHTY! Where do these people get off, that's in line with clubs around Toronto who are paying thousands of dollars to lease 10 acres. Surely costs are more than amply covered with those fees..... where does the rest of the monsy go?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Drexus

ORIGINAL: reo
" seriously doubt $200 is an expected fee for a first timer between club costs and MAAC - unless the club has a paved runway with leather furniture at the line - or at least I would expect so in comparison to what we get at our club. "

In our area we have two major clubs (grass fields, basic club houses) that have $60 annual dues, $100 initiation fees for the first timer, add into that $75 for MAAC and my math says $235.00. This is not fiction, if in doubt PM me and I'll give you contacts in these clubs to confirm the same.

On another note, I was not suggesting that MAAC offer more services but in fact cut back on some of the expenditures that do not constitute a service. I think all that is expected from the organization from the vast majority of members is 1) insurance 2)being able to fly at club fields due to MAAC membership....and maybe 3)...lobby on their behalf when required.

Ron
OK, I have to ask... how many members in the club?
I'm not going to get into what a club should offer, or what justification a club has to say: "Hey kid, you want in?... $160.00 buddy." Maybe I should rethink why MAAC might be in decline. What is the purpose of a $100.00 initiation fee? Do they pay the instructors $20/h for training? (if you don't have your wings)

I'm not criticizing, but I am curious. Granted, the cost of the property we fly on is donated, so that might have a factor in the cost.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 AM
reo

OK, I have to ask... how many members in the club?
I'm not going to get into what a club should offer, or what justification a club has to say: "Hey kid, you want in?... $160.00 buddy." Maybe I should rethink why MAAC might be in decline. What is the purpose of a $100.00 initiation fee? Do they pay the instructors $20/h for training? (if you don't have your wings)

CRIPES AMIGHTY! Where do these people get off, that's in line with clubs around Toronto who are paying thousands of dollars to lease 10 acres. Surely costs are more than amply covered with those fees..... where does the rest of the monsy go?

I do not hold a membership in either of the clubs right now (good folks, all, but the fields are both a bit tight for turbine operations) but have held a membership in one of the two in the past. Both have a membership of close to 100 and most years over 100.

As for the rest of the questions, taking into consideration I do not hold memberships I am not in a position to comment. Keep in mind that the initiation fee is a one time fee only but still becomes a first year expense.

I am not saying the initiation fee is right or wrong, it is just that the point was made a few posts back that there was no way that a first timer can spend over $200 on first year fees and this was a comment that just was not based on fact.

Ron
Old 11-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Ok, I'll try to stay on topic ... ok, so it's possible to spend over $200, I would assume the potential member will consider the value they are getting for this money..... MAAC does not require you to join a club, I see no reason why the toy airplane type dabbler should see a need other than having a large enough area to fly in, perhaps some lessons...

I still feel MAAC is good value for the money, maybe because I'm not just a toy airplane dabbler. I don't support re-architecting MAAC to cater specifically to dabblers. Some dabblers may join the hobby and realize the benefits MAAC offers, others will move on to other toys.

Modern park flyers offer a unique entry to the hobby that wasn't available until recently. We do have to come to terms with issues like radio interference and safety (both perception and reality) without becoming the big brother dictator. On the shadier side of the fence, if some important person's child gets injured by a park flyer, the resulting litiguous eye may draw little distinction between 'park flyer' and 'giant scale modeller at controlled airfield'.[>:]
Old 11-07-2005, 10:45 AM
reo

I agree, Jim, radio interference and liability may well be the issues. I was told last night that here in Edmonton the city has or is in the process of disallowing R/C aircraft activity in its' parks and school grounds....almost seems like another unenforceable bylaw but I can certainly see their reasons for going in that direction.

There are at least two fields in this area operating right on the city limits or maybe even now IN the city limits. In these cases I think the interference issue is a real concern. How to fix the situation?....who knows?

Ron
Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gentlemen, and I mean Gentlemen.
I stumbled across this forum as I'm am one of the ones outside a group like the AMA and yours. I was looking for answers as to why I should join such a group. I must say this is the most civil forum I've read, most of the others start bashing one another within a few posts and the subject gets lost. It's quite refreshing to see adults behaving like adults, not little children. Granted I'm in Pennsylvania, and you are in Canada for the most part, so I'm guessing your group wouldn't work for me here.
If you allow me a little leeway, may I give you the other side of the flight crowd's going ons?
The ones who don't belong to groups like yours, or to clubs.
From what I see, and from the fellows I fly with, the hobby is evolving, way faster then anyone thought ,from as little as 5 years ago. The newest generation of flyers is part of the gotta have it now, want immediate satisfaction for their dollar. The days when everyone built from balsa and tissue and such, is dieing off. No it will never go away. But the times are changing, the "newbies" as we call them are heading off in different directions. The old guard is starting to fade, heck we are all getting older. The new blood is heading in another direction from how we old timers have done it. So what do you the old timers do(and no insult meant).
From my experience, the old timers are not acknowledging the newbies, other then to blame them for every hit their bird takes. I've tried 2 join 2 separate clubs, I could join but I was looked down on because I fly toys. Some of my toys have over a thousand dollars in them, so maybe I don't consider it a toy. They do. If it's not gas and hand built over plans it's a toy.
I've been down that road, I just for now find it easier for me to not spend a year putting a bird together, when I could be out flying. Granted my flight skills may have something to do with that also. But back to my point, here I've never been approached by a club to come over and take a look , maybe you'd like to join. I had to seek out the 2 clubs I found, and I fly my park flyers with a group off the main highway between the 2 groups (aprox 10 miles each way) They have to pass us to get to their field. Since the attitiude I/we've gotten from them, it's obvious they don't want to play. So be it. I would rather be with an entergetic bunch of newbies, then deal with the old dinosaurs. Sorry I was running on. Bottom line, your new breed of flyers are not going to go away, the groups and clubs need to realize this and embrace the newbies. Soon they will be the ones in the majority, and where will the groups and clubs be. These kids are our future, accept them and teach them, because if you don't they will go on with out you. Show them the way.
p.s. just so you know I'm one of those dinosaurs, but being with the kids has changed my whole attitude.
Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.
Brad
Old 11-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Drexus

if some important person's child gets injured by a park flyer, the resulting litiguous eye may draw little distinction between 'park flyer' and 'giant scale modeller at controlled airfield'.
Very well put Jim. When someone is in the "suing mood" they tend not to care who or what they have their sights set on... and we all pay for it.

Brad, we are well mannered here mostly because of the type of people this forum holds interest for. Aside from that, people like me have to keep a professional attitude when talking in public.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:57 PM
r/cnerd

Well looking into the future I'd have to say Interferance will become less and less of an issue. Every day Radios get smarter, And even now we can get a frequency checker and rx's that are trained to accept signal from only one tx. Soon when interferance is detected the radio will seamlessly coorect it by switching channels or something. And as far as foamies and MAAC, well First of all I think that MAAC needs to recocnize flyers flying planes under a certain weight as allowed to fly wherever they are legal and not need a full membership, maybe a $25 a year type deal. After all is is a lot cheaper to insure a motorbike than a Truck isn't it? I'm a MAAC member mainly because it allows me to fly INSIDE in winter....This should be a big factor here in the great white north, I think more indoor sites will pop up. As far as whether the hobby is in decline.....I'd say it's in it biggest boom yet, the echo of the 80's boom...pre built helis fo $300? Lipos and brushless? Flat foamis? Dude, you can get a sweet bird for $300!! CDN!! And yes it is very sad to see so many of the old timers retireing from flying but we have a nice mix on our sunday night indoor area...pilots ranging from 15-65, everything from shockys to helis to gws indoor to pieces of foam with a motor...
Old 11-08-2005, 12:12 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: r/cnerd

Well looking into the future I'd have to say Interferance will become less and less of an issue. Every day Radios get smarter, And even now we can get a frequency checker and rx's that are trained to accept signal from only one tx. Soon when interferance is detected the radio will seamlessly coorect it by switching channels or something. And as far as foamies and MAAC, well First of all I think that MAAC needs to recocnize flyers flying planes under a certain weight as allowed to fly wherever they are legal and not need a full membership, maybe a $25 a year type deal. After all is is a lot cheaper to insure a motorbike than a Truck isn't it? I'm a MAAC member mainly because it allows me to fly INSIDE in winter....This should be a big factor here in the great white north, I think more indoor sites will pop up. As far as whether the hobby is in decline.....I'd say it's in it biggest boom yet, the echo of the 80's boom...pre built helis fo $300? Lipos and brushless? Flat foamis? Dude, you can get a sweet bird for $300!! CDN!! And yes it is very sad to see so many of the old timers retireing from flying but we have a nice mix on our sunday night indoor area...pilots ranging from 15-65, everything from shockys to helis to gws indoor to pieces of foam with a motor...
Actually in AB, basic mandatory insurance (PL/PD) for all vehicles is the same....and so should be for MAAC....after all there is nothing stopping the "park flyer" from paying $25 for his "park flyer" class insurance....picking up a larger model as the hobby store...flying it and hurting someone....which would likely result in MAAC being sued and a big mess.

http://www.autoinsurance.gov.ab.ca/calculate.html

My car insurance costs $1000 bucks/year and I dont even get a magazine....or a patch.

Beyond that MAAC does not have a problem with flying planes anywhere they are legal...in fact say's so right in the guidelines...basically as long as you have the permission of the landowner. However in a city like Calgary bylaws restrict the flying of model aircraft in city parks etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:43 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car insurance costs $1000 bucks/year and I dont even get a magazine....or a patch.
Not a valid comparison, auto insurance will repair or replace your vehicle, MAAC will not repair or replace your model. I pay $185 to insure my travel trailer for coverage, that includes damage, theft, liability and replacement to $16,000, there more accidents involving travel trailer than model airplanes so for $185 I am getting value.

and the frequency and number of auto accidents are much much higher
than the number of maac accidents which to date is one.

Keep in mind, that prior to 2001, the maac insurance premium was ~ $2.30 out of the $44.40 membership fee or 5%.
Now the insurance premium is ~ $10.50 out of $75.00 or 14%.

We have two active r/c clubs in our area that do not require maac nor are they maac clubs.

MAAC is mainly a insurance provider - whether the maac board can figure that out, we'll see, until then maac will continue to provide fluff that the majority of their customers have not requested.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: kenair
Not a valid comparison, auto insurance will repair or replace your vehicle
Not if you only have basic PL and PD ... which is Chad's example....

and the frequency and number of auto accidents are much much higher than the number of maac accidents which to date is one.
... and many more payers ... and I think the number of incidents is more than one.... []

Keep in mind, that prior to 2001, the maac insurance premium was ~ $2.30 out of the $44.40 membership fee or 5%.
Now the insurance premium is ~ $10.50 out of $75.00 or 14%.
Yeah! and milk costs $5 yet the average dairy farmer isn't making much more ... why is that?

We have two active r/c clubs in our area that do not require maac nor are they maac clubs.
Now you're getting closer to the root of the problem.... the more people/clubs try to go it on their own, the more it costs the rest of the membership. If you've ever been on the exec of a club, you know you have to cover the bills... with fewer members, you have to raise dues .... hmmnnnn...

MAAC is mainly a insurance provider - whether the maac board can figure that out, we'll see, until then maac will continue to provide fluff that the majority of their customers have not requested.
Just like the government is mostly a road provider right?

One man's fluff is another man's bread and butter, sorry for the sarcasm, too many spins to address logically.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: r/cnerd
And as far as foamies and MAAC, well First of all I think that MAAC needs to recocnize flyers flying planes under a certain weight as allowed to fly wherever they are legal and not need a full membership, maybe a $25 a year type deal.
This has been discussed many times. Not only is it unenforceable but, weight alone is not a good measurement. As has been pointed out, the worst accident we have ever seen involved a 40 size aircraft that I assume weighed about 3Kg (if that).... definitely not the heaviest. Acceleration is another factor; would you rather be hit by a 240 kph, 4kg composite jet or a 40kph, 5kg balsa cub?

Further consider that the practice I've seen with most foamies is considerably less controlled. Most are flown "in your face" within a few feet of the pilot, often there are several spectators standing very close to the pilot, no safety fences or formal flightline etc. etc. Combine this with advances in power now exhibited by the new brushless/LiPo combos and the fact that they can start much easier than any glow engine, and the batteries are fairly volatile, and I begin to get very concerned.... I even know of a car that was torched by a LiPo ... I wonder how long it will be until MAAC sees a claim for a house fire.[X(]

Now, I don't want to be chicken little but, if park flyers can't practice a little more caution, I think it's not hard to predict where the next accident is likely to surface.[>:]

And yes, I do own several park flyers ... and a steel case full of LiPos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.