Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

PIcs of WILD THING RUN from hpi build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

PIcs of WILD THING RUN from hpi build

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM
unclecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIcs of WILD THING RUN from hpi build

Heres some pics of my boat running on Pontiac lake this is where they drop the hydro's in to race 1mile course there breaking lots of records on this lake. Sorry for the quality this is with camera on tripod no one to run it. Boat is 24in. OS.18cvr fullers gear. The pic should give you an Idea shes flying. I shure aint building no tug boats. The roost is at least 40 50 foot long. After having trouble breakin a engine mount yesterday today was better. Still have to figure this little motor out I think in the tight turns it is ingesting some water. After a couple minutes it seems like its running lean falls flat Ive gone in both directions. Checked temp and at first I was not even hitting 90 degree around 60 degree out today then I clamped the water line and still was only hitting 170 degree It is leaving a nice smoke trail but it still fakllin flat still in break in mode I will figure her out just a matter of time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44632.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	567086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71505.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	567087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42620.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	567088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51494.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	567089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92111.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	567090  
Old 11-26-2006, 06:12 PM
gooycheese

Default RE: PIcs of WILD THING RUN from hpi build

Looks awsome Nice Lake !!!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:21 PM
unclecrash

Thanksgooy thats just a little bit of it I should have took a pic of the whole thing the area the camera is on is just the swim beach and out front that is an island with houses on it then theres another Island to the left with one house on it then its a good ways across the lake next time im there I get a photo. Dave
Old 11-26-2006, 06:33 PM
toyotatruckin

good deal you got it going!! Also looks like its cold where your at.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Believe It
Banned

if ya think its going lean... run it full bore to a spot you can get to it easily (dunno what you are using for retrieval) and shut it down. Pull the plug and see what it looks like.

That thing definetely throws a hell of a fire hose for a .18 boat! How big is the boat?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:59 PM
unclecrash

24in. 2-1/2pound Im kind of curios if its leaning out. it seems if I try to back the needle out any further I have trouble launching just seems real rich In the one pic I have a good smoke trail. I can get right to it Im in my waders and it drops off very slowly your sayin pull the plug to see if its dry on fuel in cylinder? Id say its in the range between 40 and 50 mph just geussin though.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM
unclecrash

Hey I somehow missed your post> Whats up Mike ya IM workin the bugs out. It was actually 60degree today. Nice Day I just threw the stocking foot waders on cause I figured it would be easier to launch and retrive Its real shollow as you can see. Where Im standing Running it between no deeper than I can wade[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Believe It
Banned

look at the plug, not the cylinder/piston. If the motor is going lean, the bottom of the plug will be dry, and the coil will be a grey in color, with the coil deformed some. Rich of course would be wet with a shiney coil.

Optimum is to have the coil a very light grey with a little shine too it, with the coil still wrapped like it was out of the package.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:25 PM
unclecrash

I just checked to see if there is any distortion and they are like they come out the pack. But that aint tellin me if its border line because like you say I probably need to do it right away after i run it. Im wondering if I need to lean the bottom out a bit and fatten the high speed. Because Im at 2 turns out where the book says to start with a new motor. But Like I say if I fatten it up any more I cant even get it to the water without it stallin I though the bottom was lean so I also backed that out in increments with out much luck but it seems to do it at the same time into the run each time . It might just need to keep running it easy till its broke all the way in. I am seeing a cloud of smoke just linger over the lake thats what makes me wonder. It hesitates a lot on the shore when I blip the throttle and every run it comes in cool no overheating even when I crimped off the water line temp never made it past 170
Old 11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Believe It
Banned

what nitro are you running?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
unclecrash

IM just running some coolpower heli 30% trying to use it up. I need to get some good boat fuel but My LHS dont carry it so Im probably going to have to order some.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

If it seems to be getting a bit lean during the run, check the pressure line for holes, and confirm that the tank doesn't have any leaks. The owners manual describes how to check and reset the low speed needle. You also could be getting foaming in the tank. Confirm that the prop is well balanced, and that you've got a bit of padding under the tank to insulate it from the hull.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 PM
unclecrash

I have no leaks in tank or pressure lines. I checked the lsn its right where recomended. The prop I balanced myself I might try to get it better. Its very close the tank could be the problem foaming like you say. Its just sitting on the bare wood hull. Whats good for padding it. I have an reciever Isolater pad will this do?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:30 AM
unclecrash

I added a pad for the tank. I do remember seeing some foam when I brought in to check for fuel.
Hope i can get out tomorrow and get it figured out. Ill run it with no changes other than the pad to see if this was the problem. Then I will mess with the needles again. First by tryin to richen up the HSN and check the temp on the shore warm it up good. I think I might pinch the water line off further to get some more heat in the motor. Dave
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 AM
mrfixitwhite

that thing sure looks like its flyin'!! woo hoo! moving would be better! (pm your address and i'll see if i can get those cards posted)
so yours is 2 1/2lbs -mines slightly bigger size wise so i'll weigh mine now to compare!
i'd say twiddle with the LSN -one of my engines wouldnt even start on the factory setting -for some reason the lsn had been screwed in to far
even with the hsn adjusted to compensate it ran badly.
backed LSN out a 1/4 turn and much better
then i could lean the HSN right back

but nice job on the boat sure goes well
Old 11-27-2006, 05:03 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

add some castor to the fuel. Cool Power i think is all synthetic. It could be with it being a new motor its snagging up a little, the castor will help it through.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:15 AM
unclecrash

Hi Graham the pics sure dont do it justice better than nothing though. Ya shes movin it surprized me to see it shootin out a rooster tail that far. I will shoot you a pm If it all works out when I get some loot I will get you for postage and then some
Old 11-27-2006, 05:35 AM
mrfixitwhite

no worries! saying that i havnt weighed the cards yet! lol -nah i'll be fine!
just weighed my boat though!
size wise mines 30" long so 25% bigger than yours
but in the white corner weighing in at 5lbs 13 1/2 ozs is FAT boat!! lol
eer thin ply for me next time![&:]
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 AM
unclecrash

Ya skin it with 1/16 and if it flexes just add some stringers in the bottom. To stiffen it up. Helps too Ive been building planes for 25years Your in the ball park for that size I believe I saw one that was close to 30in with .21 in it weighed about that. Dave
Old 11-27-2006, 07:00 PM
unclecrash

I took her out again today ran pretty darn good. I fattened the HSN up and put the pad under the tank. I noticed that the feed line might have had a little cut where I had pushed it on the tank so I pushed it further on. It was pretty choppy today when I first started to run it. I seadunked her once and spun out once The seadunk was my fault I let of the throttle at the wrong time. The spin out was a fast run but I was running with the wake coming at the side the boat. After I put 2 or 3 more tanks through it. It calmed down[>:] now it was time to beat her hard. I refueled and sent her out held her wide open for about ten laps right through the turns no problems. Then I brought her in to notice the engine came loose I wish I had the money to buy a 3mm tap when I rebuilt the mounts. Darn nylocs going to have to loctight them. Other than that ran great.