Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Editing the end date

Old 11-30-2005, 02:31 PM
sides7
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Editing the end date

Can't seem to edit the end date of my auction ad even though no one has bid & it's days from ending. No way to select the end date even though I entered via edit ad selection.

Sides7
Old 11-30-2005, 05:35 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Editing the end date

Once an auction is live, the end date cannot be changed. This is also true for bid increment, starting price and reserve price. This is to prevent sellers from stretching their auction should it start getting a lot of attention and bid wars begin.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:48 PM
sides7

I was trying to shorten the auction not lengthen it.

Sides7
Old 12-08-2005, 08:57 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

It doesn't matter. Once the auction is live, the end date cannot be changed.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 AM
sides7

I understand. Thanks!
Sides
Old 12-09-2005, 07:59 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I realize now that I only stated a fact and not a reason. Sorry about that.

While it may be easily understandable why one would want to stretch an auction, the converse is may not be as clear. There are a large number of folks who like wait until the last moment to make a bid on an item. They will scout out ads and add them to their watch list. Knowing that an ad will close, say noon on Saturday, they will make a point to be at their computer and in the ad at 10 minutes till noon just waiting to post their offer. Here you have someone who's honestly interested in the item. But, when he logs in at 11:50AM on Saturday, the ad is closed and someone is listed as the winner. They're upset, and rightfully so. Why was the ad shut down with a winner they want to know. They immediately suspect foul play, and perhaps there was. Perhaps the seller was sent an email by someone else who offered $50.00 more than the current offer if they will close the auction early. Is that fair? No, not really. So, to keep everyone happy and honest (I'm not saying you are not honest), the system is setup that once an auction is active the end time, starting price, bid increment and reserve prices cannot be changed.