Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

maps

Old 02-02-2009, 01:01 PM
qldviking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maps

what happened to the maps? now when I try to figure where somne item is all I get is a blank grey page
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: maps

What ad are you seeing this happen on?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
qldviking

every item I have looked at, in all types, motors, aircraft, radiogear etc
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
qldviking

I have just randomly tried the following items from the featured list, 467742, 478553, 477705, 480112, same result, a grey square for a map
Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Are you seeing the gray square in the ad, or only after you click on the map icon and the new window pops open?

What web browser are you running?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
qldviking

I get the new window for the map, and the box where the map is supposed to be is just a grey square. I am running IE on XP Pro. I am wondering if its an out of the US thing?, my flying buddy is getting the same.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

What you are seeing is the map as generated by Google Maps. This is being pulled from the Google site, not RCU.

What version of IE are you running?

If you go to Google.com and click on Maps ( http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl ), are you able to view the map and navigate on it?

Google offers the following help to view and use their maps. http://maps.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=21849
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 AM
qldviking

Ok I hacve just spent a frustrating 2 hours plus trying to sort the mapping out, apparently from google help, because your stting are for the US I have to spend $300 on upgrades to my computer so I can use the new map system. Why did you change somrething that wasnt broke? From the info I got from google, mapquest did everything that google does without the hassles. Google tell me what the problem is, is its the route tracking thats set for the US only, but even if it was worldwide, I would have to upgrade to Vista and load another program to be able to use it [:'(] I scrapped vista because it was usless to me, all that extra garbage I'd never use, and having to pay thru the nose for every upgrade needed just to do basicly what I have been doing for years now. please bring back mapquest
Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Google Maps supports Windows XP (that is what I am running). You do not need Vista in order to use their maps. There may be routing issues at this time, but you do not have to change OS's just to view the maps.

The Google maps were installed in place of the Map Quest maps because they are more detailed and will allow additional features that could not be used with the old system. One of the features we will incorporate soon with the Google Maps will be show pins on the map where items posted for sale are located. When one of those pins is clicked on, the ad title, description and photo will be displayed along with a link to the RCU ad.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
qldviking

that last feature is a waste of time, as the mapquesthad the item details in the heading. after all this time trying to get it to work, and getting advice from google its going to cost me $318 just to be able to use the google mapping, when mapquest was more than adequte, with the abilty to zoom right down to the address location. I just called mt mate again, he got the same story too
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Perhaps the additional features are not something you will be able to use, but we feel the majority of our members will be able to use them. Hopefully in a short period of time, Google will update their software to allow international use.

Again, I'm not sure why you feel you need to upgrade your OS when it is obvious right here that XP is fully supported.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 AM
qldviking

I have no idea either as to why at least 2 of us here in australia cant use it, but again I have no idea why you had to fix something that wasnt broke. I am hoping this issue with google will be resolved soon somehow
cheers Johnno
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
WarbirdII
My Feedback: (21)

Hi
I live in Minnesota and also having the same problem with the maps in the adds. I do think that the features your are going to offer are nice. But maybe getting the maps to work with the current system would be a good idea. I am sure that if someone was to do some checking around there are alot of people having this same problem. Features for customers use are great just as long as they are usable.
Good Day.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

ORIGINAL: WarbirdII
Hi
I live in Minnesota and also having the same problem with the maps in the adds. I do think that the features your are going to offer are nice. But maybe getting the maps to work with the current system would be a good idea. I am sure that if someone was to do some checking around there are alot of people having this same problem. Features for customers use are great just as long as they are usable.
Good Day.
What operating system and web browser are you using? To date, these are the only two complaints which have been logged against the new maps. We have tested them with Windows XP and Vista as well as IE 6 and 7 along with Firefox so there should not be any kind of wide spread problem.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
WarbirdII

Hey
I am using Windows XP and access the internet and your site thru Fire Fox. The maps seems to be the only thing that I have trouble looking at. I have the same issue as described above, big gray area is all that shows up when the map is selected for viewing. It s not a huge deal to me, but would be a nice feature. Just for your information I was able to access the maps prior to the upgrade. Any suggestions on your part would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
qldviking

I still cant access maps from RCU, but I have google maps access actually loadeed, I have yet to talk to an aussie that can access them. My lady cant either, she lives in AR USA and uses Vista/IE, new system too.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

ORIGINAL: WarbirdII
Hey
I am using Windows XP and access the internet and your site thru Fire Fox. The maps seems to be the only thing that I have trouble looking at. I have the same issue as described above, big gray area is all that shows up when the map is selected for viewing. It s not a huge deal to me, but would be a nice feature. Just for your information I was able to access the maps prior to the upgrade. Any suggestions on your part would be appreciated.
Thanks
What service pack do you have installed in XP and what version of Firefox are you running?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

ORIGINAL: qldviking
I still cant access maps from RCU, but I have google maps access actually loadeed, I have yet to talk to an aussie that can access them. My lady cant either, she lives in AR USA and uses Vista/IE, new system too.
As noted previously, the maps are not accessible outside of the U.S. It is expected that until Google updates their maps problem, you will not be able to access them in Australia. This is a known issue for people outside of the U.S., but one that will hopefully be remedied soon.

What are the symptoms for the maps not working by your friend here in the States?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
WarbirdII

I have to take back what I said I just was online and clicked on the map selection and it worked. Not sure what was going on but it appears to be working now. I know it didn't work after they had upgraded the option. So maybe they are getting things corrected. I did try it several times at several adds so I know it s not a fluke. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
WarbirdII

I was able to get the maps to work. Not real sure of what was going on. I did not do anything on my end to correct the problem. I did access several maps while online today so maybe the Gods are smiling on me again,who knows. Thanks for your response to the issue. Have a good day.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

As long as it is working now, that is all that matters!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
WarbirdII

Hey Jon

I have a question for you that is off the subject. How can I put a picture to the left of my comments like you all have.
Harold
Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Click on My Account at the top of any RCU page. Then click Forum Settings. Scroll down to My Avatar and click Upload my picture. Note that the picture must be 85X85 pixels or smaller.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 PM
qldviking

My lady has exactly the same, just gets a grey square, refreshing the page dont help her either, not anything else she's tried
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

ORIGINAL: qldviking
My lady has exactly the same, just gets a grey square, refreshing the page dont help her either, not anything else she's tried
I wish I could replicate this. I just tested with a system running Vista SP1 / IE 7 and the maps are working fine for me. Perhaps there is a security setting on her computer that is preventing the maps from being displayed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.