Notices
Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

ECU battery discharge.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:49 PM
johnls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU battery discharge.

I have a M200XBL and during a flight the engine flamed out. On checking the ecu battery voltage it showed 0ma. I assumed the battery was at fault and replaced with a new battery.The fully charged 3800mah 2s Lipo battery, when connected but without switching the receivers on, discharged itself in 2 hours. I connected another fully charged battery and monitored it and observed it discharge from 99% charged to 75% in just 15 minutes. Has anyone experienced this or have an idea as to the cause?
Old 11-06-2020, 09:01 AM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by johnls
I have a M200XBL and during a flight the engine flamed out. On checking the ecu battery voltage it showed 0ma. I assumed the battery was at fault and replaced with a new battery.The fully charged 3800mah 2s Lipo battery, when connected but without switching the receivers on, discharged itself in 2 hours. I connected another fully charged battery and monitored it and observed it discharge from 99% charged to 75% in just 15 minutes. Has anyone experienced this or have an idea as to the cause?
Never heard of that, may want to check with the factory. You have looked inside the ecu to see if there are any lights on inside?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:27 PM
johnls

Think I've got to the bottom of it. By swapping the ECU, from another model, I have eliminated that and it appears the igniter is on as soon as the battery is plugged in to the ECU. The problem must be in the electronics in the front of the engine.I have emailed the factory but am still awaiting their reply.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:11 PM
FenderBean

Think I've got to the bottom of it. By swapping the ECU, from another model, I have eliminated that and it appears the igniter is on as soon as the battery is plugged in to the ECU. The problem must be in the electronics in the front of the engine.I have emailed the factory but am still awaiting their reply.
Go into the ECU under the info section were you prime, check valves and make select ignitor, maybe switching it on and off will fix it. That should be disabled but if you have an older motor it maybe still enabled, that being said it should cut off when powered down.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:35 AM
johnls

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Go into the ECU under the info section were you prime, check valves and make select ignitor, maybe switching it on and off will fix it. That should be disabled but if you have an older motor it maybe still enabled, that being said it should cut off when powered down.
Good Idea. Ive just tried it and its stuck on. I'll send it back to Spain. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:46 AM
FenderBean

Good Idea. Ive just tried it and its stuck on. I'll send it back to Spain. Thanks for your thoughts.
Yeah, they disabled the feature because it was getting left on by accident by folks, maybe just a firmware update but mostly likely a damaged header board. May want to ask them for a fresh igniter while its there.