Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Looking to get a Quad What's a Good Starter

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Looking to get a Quad What's a Good Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM
tcvb412

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a Quad What's a Good Starter

I am looking to get a quad,i currently have the Blade MCX2,whats a fairly decent Quad to fly in and outdoors that wont break the Bank?

Thank's

Tim
Old 04-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by tcvb412
I am looking to get a quad,i currently have the Blade MCX2,whats a fairly decent Quad to fly in and outdoors that wont break the Bank?

Thank's

Tim
It really depends on what you plan to do with the quad?

EG, do you want to just fly it or carry a camera? Do you need GPS position hold or not?

I have a few quads of varying capability so I'll post my opinions of each.

What radio are you using with the MCX2? If you have a DX6i or higher Spektrum you could try...

1. The Nano QX - this is a really tough little quad that has two modes, which makes it tame for beginners but aerobatic on the advanced mode. Very cheap and crash worthy. Not very good out doors.

2. The Blade 350QX - this is a really nice Quad and is very easy to fly on Smart mode, but also can be aerobatic on agility mode, though not cheap and you will need at least a DX6i. It has GPS hold, automatic return home capability and can carry a GoPro camera. Not bad overall. Not really an indoors quad but I do fly mine inside sometimes.

3. If you don't need to carry a camera and want something really tough - (almost indestructible) then I can highly recommend an Armattan Quad. (best not to fly this one indoors)

These are not really for beginners but can be set up with auto level and tame settings which make them very easy to fly. Armattan now have a lifetime warranted Carbon Fibre version.

These are just a few options and there are hundreds of choices and other people will have good suggestions that will be completely different but I can only comment on what I have personal experience with.

Here are a few vids of the quads to give you an idea of those I mentioned.

Nano QX (not my vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4PQXpkWL4Q
The Blade 350QX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJbimnJO5I The Armattan quad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5i5G5mf5Ng This quad is so strong, I was flying it aggressively one day and had a prop failure. It crashed at high speed and suffered Zero damage. Amazing.

Here is the crash video. Not a beginner's quad but they will survive almost anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHxt31xOUA

Last edited by Rob2160; 04-30-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:06 AM
EddyP

I recently bought RED5's Nano UFO quadcopter which is pretty good for a beginner flyer such as myself especially at the price (I got it for around Ł30). I find the Nano easier to fly indoors, however, when I get a bit more experienced I'm looking forward to making the most of the 3D flying capabilities, so if you are competent with flyingyour Blade MCX2 then maybe the 3D aspect of this quad might appeal to you for an additional challenge.

Last edited by EddyP; 05-30-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM
turok007

the blade 200 qx is very nice. but you might be able to find something the same size for less.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 PM
AH-64_d

If you have a DSM2 Spectrum or JR radio such as a DX6i, consider the 180 QX. It is the brushed motor predecessor to the 200 QX. Since the 200 is the latest addition to their product line, you should be able to buy a 180 QX at a good price. If you want a camera with it, be sure to avoid its original EFLA800 - 720 camera because it is a dog. Make sure you get an EFLA800 - 721, which is its replacement. The 180 is nearly indestructible and its brushed motors can be quickly stopped by throttling down. This differs from brushless motors that take a few seconds to stop unless you program a motor kill switch into your transmitter setup. The 200 QX can move like a cat with turpentine on its tail. You may not want that much get up and go in a first quad. The 180 is slower and less powerful than the 200, but those are useful qualities if you are transitioning to quads from a MCX2.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Spydie

Hey, I'm newer to quads as well. I don't know what other guys think about it but for a fun, rtf with camera, quad, I have that Parrot AR Drone 2.0. It's super easy to handle and having all of the auto stability, auto altitude hold, and all that other good stuff it's a great quad. It's what's got me to start building my own
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Unknown303

I'm still a firm believer that if you're new to the hobby you should pickup something basic, that doesn't have GPS and all these creature comforts. Getting into this hobby I think it really pays to know how to handle the copter without any or much assistance.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:54 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by Unknown303
I'm still a firm believer that if you're new to the hobby you should pickup something basic, that doesn't have GPS and all these creature comforts. Getting into this hobby I think it really pays to know how to handle the copter without any or much assistance.
Why do that when for a small amount more you can get one with all the "creature comforts" and simply shut them off while learning? The OP says he's already had one that's basic. Looks to me like he's wanting to move up.
Personally I'd look into the Quanum Nova. A really great deal at a little over 300 bucks.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_to_Fly_.html
Or the cheerson CX20 would be good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Cheerso...item19f0493f99

Last edited by randall1959; 08-01-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 PM
EddyP

Originally Posted by Unknown303
What sort of budget do you think a newcomer should be looking at for a basic quadcopter?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Unknown303

Originally Posted by EddyP
What sort of budget do you think a newcomer should be looking at for a basic quadcopter?
For me I picked up the SK450 from Hobbyking. It was around 250 RTR which was nice. But I do see the points above about getting something that you can grow into. Once I picked this one up I just knew I would be buying more just to have a few different ones to rotate through.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 AM
AH-64_d

There are a lot of nice quads complete with radio that can be purchased for less than $100. They are small and limited compared to what you can get for more, but all of them can be flown indoors in the winter or outdoors on a calm day. As such they represent a way to test whether you want to buy a bigger and better quad. I got a $40 pico Quad for my grandson to see if he could fly quads. I told him to extend its control sticks with push pins to attenuate his control movements. The suggestion worked. We seem to have another aviator in the family.

If your budget is a little more expansive, you can try new technologies without investing too much. For example, I bought a Hubsan 170D FPV quad to chase squirrels on my back fence. That experience convinced me that I could fly FPV, so I went on to buy a 200 QX and am putting together an FPV setup for it. I am not going to risk it chasing squirrels, but think it will give me a new way to enjoy spaces that are too small for my 350 QX.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 PM
randall1959

I have a DJI F450, a Blade 350QX and a WL Toys V222 and all of them can do fpv. The V222 has about 100 yards range and is perfect for the park and my back yard. The F450 and the Blade require more room.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:23 AM
EddyP

Randall, that Blade looks immense!!

How much flight time do you actually get out of it?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 PM
randall1959

Originally Posted by EddyP
Randall, that Blade looks immense!!

How much flight time do you actually get out of it?
With the stock 2200 mah battery it gets around 8 minutes without anything like a gimbal or camera. I'm using a 2700mah which is the biggest you can get and I'm getting 10 minutes of FPV with about a 3 minute reserve and that's carrying a camera and gimbal.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM
EddyP

I didn't realise you could swap out the battery. Intriguing.

It's about time battery technology took a leap forward. We're power hungry folk and we need more juice!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 AM
AH-64_d

The Blade 350 QX is rated as suitable for beginners, but it needs room to fly. A 200 QX is great for FPV in small parks or your yard, but its brushless motors can make it move like a squirrel on crack if you firewall the throttle. You have to select and build a FPV setup separately. The 200 works best in combination with a computer radio such as a DX-9. Its motors take time to stop on landing. Those attributes make it a bird for intermediate fliers rather than beginners. You can buy an FPV-equipped Hubsan 170 D for less. The Hubsan has brushless motors and blade guards that make it more suitable for beginners. You stop its motors by chopping the throttle - A good thing to do before a crash, rather than after a crash.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

Default more features

Originally Posted by tcvb412

Thank's

Tim
I may be looking into selling my Phantom2 with 2 battery packs, no camera gimbal. Just a bare Phantom2 and Transmitter, 2 smart batteries-the $159 ones a peice! and the stock charger. Make a a decent offer, going to build a Tarot 650 Ironman with 15in props, I'm hooked. The Phantom 2 has maybe 15 to 20 flights on it, I can tell you exactly how many when i connect it to the naza controller software. NO CRASHES OR EVEN A HARD LANDING! I've flown RC planes and heli's 30 years. Not a scratch on it, 4 sets of new blades, didn't need them, 4 prop guards didn't need them either. Ive had it 3 months from Atlanta Hobby, couldn't fly it much due to 2 foot surgeries. I love it, I just want a bigger camera platform and a place to mount my Ground Station, video transmitter and mini IOSD. Thats a lot of crap hang in on the zzz of a Phantom, just need more room to do the things I want to do with a quad, make money! SHHHHSSS! Not really I'm just a perfectionist. I'll post pics if anyone is interested. Im thinking around $600, but that might be negotiable depending on how nice you treat me..... It will have GPS, Ati, and Manuel mode. Home Lock and Course lock, Home lock is priceless if you loose sight of orientation which I have serval times....Pull back on the right stick and it comes back home toward you, no mater which way the nose is pointing!

Last edited by opwan; 08-11-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Im stupid
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Rob2160
It really depends on what you plan to do with the quad?

EG, do you want to just fly it or carry a camera? Do you need GPS position hold or not?

I have a few quads of varying capability so I'll post my opinions of each.

What radio are you using with the MCX2? If you have a DX6i or higher Spektrum you could try...

1. The Nano QX - this is a really tough little quad that has two modes, which makes it tame for beginners but aerobatic on the advanced mode. Very cheap and crash worthy. Not very good out doors.

2. The Blade 350QX - this is a really nice Quad and is very easy to fly on Smart mode, but also can be aerobatic on agility mode, though not cheap and you will need at least a DX6i. It has GPS hold, automatic return home capability and can carry a GoPro camera. Not bad overall. Not really an indoors quad but I do fly mine inside sometimes.

3. If you don't need to carry a camera and want something really tough - (almost indestructible) then I can highly recommend an Armattan Quad. (best not to fly this one indoors)

These are not really for beginners but can be set up with auto level and tame settings which make them very easy to fly. Armattan now have a lifetime warranted Carbon Fibre version.

These are just a few options and there are hundreds of choices and other people will have good suggestions that will be completely different but I can only comment on what I have personal experience with.

Here are a few vids of the quads to give you an idea of those I mentioned.

Nano QX (not my vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4PQXpkWL4Q
The Blade 350QX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJbimnJO5I The Armattan quad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5i5G5mf5Ng This quad is so strong, I was flying it aggressively one day and had a prop failure. It crashed at high speed and suffered Zero damage. Amazing.

Here is the crash video. Not a beginner's quad but they will survive almost anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHxt31xOUA
Looks like you hit the light post!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:49 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Looking for a decent, mid-size (not 350 size, not micro..), which can fly indoors, as well as out.. Size-wise the Blade 200 looks about right. Just wondering if maybe something else is better. Like the RC Logger for ex.?

Not looking to build or get too fancy right now. Just want something durable, affordable, and capable of carrying a small camera.. I like the LED's on the Blade 200 btw.. Bit of night flying would defo be cool. Thanks..
Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 AM
randall1959

I've been seeing reports of the Blade 200 having "fly away" issues. Which is odd because it doesn't have gps. A friend of mine had his take off at night after it shut off it's own lights (still don't know how that's possible) and he never found it. The Syma X5 looks pretty good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syma-X5C-2-4...item2a40d03a16
WL Toys V222 is a lot of fun and has different gizmo's you can attach to it.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ht...l-p-67794.html
This one isn't a micro but it's not 350 size either. I have the larger X8 and it's a great flying quad.
http://www.banggood.com/Flying-3D-Fl...-p-945096.html
Here's another decent non micro
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nine-Eagles-...item2ed71bb52d
There's more every day.

Last edited by randall1959; 09-27-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:37 PM
HerrSavage

I think maybe I will go with a micro for starters - the Blade Nano I guess. To learn to fly first over the winter, indoors some.. Then maybe something bigger in the spring..

Is the micro Hubsan FPV quad any good?
Old 09-28-2014, 02:42 PM
randall1959

Hubsan products are a good choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7peS...hkaYdS92sFof_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syg7...hkaYdS92sFof_Q
Old 09-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Hyper10-3speed

I would start with a Hubsan X4, and then move up from there... you may want to look at http://quadrysteria.com they got this build group http://www.digi-dna.net/index.php/di...lack-mamba-uav that does some amazing stuff
Old 10-03-2014, 10:56 AM
cooke86

I learned to fly with a Hubsan x4, I still have it and it still flys (surprisingly) They are a great little quad for learning. Since then I have Worked my way all the way up to a big (1200mm) Octocopter.

Some of you may be interested in my website, it has a detailed build guide for my frame that I have designed and sell. The guide however can be used for almost any Quad frame. My frame might not be exactly what you are looking for as it is in the 450 class, but the videos could help you.

link: http://explorer4-quadcopter.com/

luke
Old 10-05-2014, 07:09 AM
HerrSavage

I just bought a Blade Nano, tested it, and returned it. It felt so flimsy compared to say a Hubsan...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.