Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS 26cc parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Iflyit
My Feedback: (512)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS 26cc parts?

My friend has a silver head 26cc gas engine. This past weekend it was on its third flight and it went deadstick. This engine was bought from a friend that ran about a gallon or 2 thru it already and it ran fine. After removing the backplate on the engine it appears the connecting rod bearing went bad and was scraping the side of the crankcase which in turn cracked the crankcase. I don't know if the bearing went bad causing this or?

Where can I get parts for this engine? I need a crankcase and a connecting rod as I know of right now, I plan on getting the engine from him this weekend to tear it down and see what else it may need. Horizon seems to be out of stock on those parts for the Evo 26 till December.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:58 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS .26 parts?

I Fly,

How old is this engine?
Is it still under warranty (2 years)?

If so, get MVVS to take a look at it.

Even if not, MVVS engines can be repaired at relatively low cost (compared to Webra, OS and others).

It may be worth your while to get an offer on all the parts that you need, to repair your friend's engine.

So far I see:

1. Con-rod
2. Crankcase
3. Back-plate

If the piston, sleeve, crankcase and the paraphernalia are good, it may even appear cheap to repair.

Contact the dealer, or [link=http://mvvs.cz/]MVVS[/link] directly.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 PM
xscorp

ORIGINAL: Iflyit

My friend has a silver head 26 gas engine. This past weekend it was on its third flight and it went deadstick. This engine was bought from a friend that ran about a gallon or 2 thru it already and it ran fine. After removing the backplate on the engine it appears the connecting rod bearing went bad and was scraping the side of the crankcase which in turn cracked the crankcase. I don't know if the bearing went bad causing this or?
Hello,

Identical situation with my engine. I have the red head one. I will replace only the connecting rod for the moment and will see what's happen...
My engine is only 1 year old and about 30 flies with 2,7% Mobil 1 2T oil and 95 octane gasoline mixture, 18x6 wood propeller and MVVS tuned pipe (about 8500 rpm).
I found the connecting rod at topmodel.fr (France) near to Spain (my country).

;-)
JM
Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Iflyit
My Feedback: (512)

Its not under warranty. I took it apart and it looks like I need a Crankcase (although I may be able to have a friend tig weld it for me) a crankshaft, and connecting rod along with new bearings of course. The piston and sleeve look OK but I may as well put a new one in while I am rebuilding everything else. Definitely not cheap as it will be over $200 in parts which isnt much worth it.

Anyone know where i can find a crankshaft? That is the most difficult part to find it seems. Im not sure why you think the backplate would need replaced? There isn't anything wrong with the one on it that I can see.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:54 AM
DarZeelon

I Fly,

Is the crank-pin damaged?

Don't waste your money on changing parts that don't need to be changed.

If the piston+ring+sleeve are OK, just keep them. You can disassemble the engine again once they do wear out.

The crankshaft, crankcase and con-rod are not cheap (unless you compare to OS...).
Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 PM
pe reivers

I have evaluated the pictures you sent me. The engine has suffered from overheating, which caused the oil to thin down to a degree that it could not lubricate well any more. One to two gallons through the engine then is all it takes to get the damage in your engine. This same damage also is typical for running inferior oil which does not possess the load breakdown properties that MVVS specifies.
In such cases, not only the connecting rod has failed, but also the crankpin. If the engine ran too hot, the wrist pin and front bearing also need replacing, and the crankcase front bearing fit has suffered. With engine running too long, so as to cause the rollers from the connecting rod to shed, the rear bearing and piston-cylinder assy get irreversible damage.
If the cylinder outside surface turns from as-ground silver metal colour into straw yellow or darker, you know that it's temperature limits have been exceeded. This discoloration starts at 220°C. 140° must be considered as upper safe running temperature.
Gas engines run hot. Low pitch propellers let them run even hotter. If you have been running 6" props, and done some 3D flying the engine may well have exceeded the temperature limit that oil needs to lubricate. (10 centiStokes viscosity)
Under these circumstances you need a well cowled engine that takes care of the cooling airflow through the cooling fins. I devoted an article to that on my forum, so would like to point to that[link=http://www.prme.nl/forum/] here[/link] , and [link=http://www.prme.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148]here.[/link]
Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 AM
DarZeelon

Default RE: MVVS 26cc parts?

This is a test post.
Done at Marc's request.

Moderators, please remove.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

testing...please ignore
Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one more test
Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 AM
xscorp

What is happening with 26 IFS connecting rods? Is out of stock everywhere I ask it for. Even Evolution stores. I can't find any store who has it in stock... It seems a little suspect..
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
superbord

test
Old 11-08-2007, 01:27 PM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: xscorp

What is happening with 26 IFS connecting rods? Is out of stock everywhere I ask it for. Even Evolution stores. I can't find any store who has it in stock... It seems a little suspect..
I just received some, on normal order?