Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS 45cc petrol backfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
mc1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS 45cc petrol backfire

Hi guys,
I am new to petrol engines so please excuse what might be silly questions to some.

This mvvs 45cc petrol engine was running a bit rich on the low end and high end during break in and has not changed settings ever since, the engine has had about 20 flights if not less and three times now i've had a certain problem. When the throttle is advanced more than 50% there is a gunshot like sound(this happened both flights today) and the engine wants to die out but it didn't. After the first flight we asked someone at the field he said to richen it up a bit because the engine had run in and is going leaner so we opened it up a bit more and this time it happened worse. It was like one or two gunshot sounds (maybe backfire) in a row.

My question is, do backfires happen on petrol engines when its lean and rich ?

This engine is spinning a mezlik prop 22/8 at approx 7.5k rpm, is that too rich?

Thank you for any advice you have to offer, i won't get insulted as im new so feel free to explain it like im clueless.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS 45cc petrol backfire

It is very hard to diagnose from your data. "never touched the needles" is a bad thing. The carb should be tuned to your prop, plane and environment. See http://www.prme.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10
Check your spark plug, and post a picture here (colour of the sparkplug inside should not be white, and also not black). You may want to try a new plug first.
also check your battery and all battery connections.
How is your tank connected? do you have a good fuel filter installed in the pickup line? No T-connection in the fuel line?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:28 PM
mc1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MVVS 45cc petrol backfire

I used a check valve for fueling, i'm taking the plane appart in a few days about the spark plug and ill check all the wires and let you know what i find