Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

HELP please... MVVS 58 & Vlach ignition shield wire

Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Felix72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP please... MVVS 58 & Vlach ignition shield wire

Hi,

I have a used MVVS-58 with a Vlach ignition and I am in the stage to finish the engine installation on my Composite Extra 330L 2.3.
I am looking for suggestion about a problem I just discovered:

The problem is that the previous owner of the engine have damaged the metal shield of the ignition wire, but just in one place.
Look to the picture attached to see the damage, I hope is clear.

The broken shield is just in one place, all the rest of the shield is ok all along the ignition wire.
How can I fix this problem? Do I need to replace all the ignition for this?
Change all the ignition system is something I might need to do anyway in the future since the Vlach ignition is no longer serviced, but for now I would like to try to fix it if possible and see how the engine goes!

The last picture is an "ignition shield kit" that I have found around in my stuff (another one of this exact kit I used previously to shield my Spectra G-3D ignition) and I am wondering if I can use this to fix the broken shield as well.

My idea is to put a short length of the "shield kit" OVER the broken one and make solid contact between the original one and the new one laid over it, so to maintain continuity and "close the hole"! I can put shrink tube over the connection and/or cable tie.
My understanding is that a broken shield can cause radio interference even I am going to use a Spektrum AR-9100 that I believe is less prone to that kind of interference.

Also I am looking for suggestion on how to open my Vlach ignition box.
I know is not on warranty anymore so that's not a problem, but if I want to fix the wire is almost impossible to make the new piece of shield pass over the plug cup (its too big).
I thought it could be possible to open the box, detach the ignition wire to slide over the new piece of shield and then reconnect all.
I don't know what to expect upon opening the ignition box and I don't know if the ignition wire is detachable from inside the box and how it is fixed inside.

Thank you very very much for any input coming.

Gianluca
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43408.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1444456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf11964.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1444457  
Old 05-29-2010, 04:53 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP please... MVVS 58 & Vlach ignition shield wire

You will find that it is well possible to fit a new cable, or repair the old cable. However, the ignition is trimmed to the original setup, and is quite sensitive to the load that the cable+plug puts on the output stage.
I would suggest to just fix the shielding, fit a resistor plug and see where it gets you.
If all fails, then fit a new cable.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Felix72

Hi Pe reivers,

I was actually hopping for you to chime in here.

I need some more explanation, can you go deeper in it please!

What you mean "it is well possible to fit a new cable, or repair the old cable"?
I never saw a cable replacement part for Vlach ignition being sold by someone, maybe it's because I never get into this before, or you mean to buy another brand cable?!
Does it exist a replacement cable for the Vlach? Does it come with the plug cap attached already?
To change the cable I need to open the ignition box anyway, can you give me advice on how to do that? I believe I can do it, but I just need some advice.

What do you mean "the ignition is trimmed to the original setup"?
You mean to say the original components, so if I change the cable the new one could be of a different material and with different characteristics?
You think that the new small shielding piece that I want to put over the hole will change the electrical characteristic of how the system works?

I would like to just fix the shielding as you also suggested me for now, and see how its going, because I believe the ignition in itself will work well, the guy before was flying the plane in this condition, even with the broken shielding!

What I mean is that to slide the new piece over I need to open the ignition box, don't you think?
The new shield part that will go over the hole is very short, if I try to enlarge it to make it pass over the plug cap, it will become even shorter and I am concerned that it will lose its shape completely. If I use a too long shield part I am concerned about the electric characteristic of the shield will change, I don't know!

What you mean "fit a resistor plug"? The plug I have now on is the original UR-17, that is not good?

Is that a big problem to open the ignition box?

In case I decide to trash all and buy a new ignition I have find this:
ICU-L at € 109.00 for 26 to 35 cc good for 2s Lipo and NGK 5812 plug M10
ICU-S at € 139.00 for 45 to 58 cc good for 2s Lipo and NGK 5812 plug M10
ICU-P at € 149.00 for 58 cc ProSport good for 3s Lipo and NGK 5812 plug M10

My understanding is that to change the ignition I need to change the plug also and no other things, is it correct?

Thank's for you help, I am waiting for your reply so to decide what to do.

Gianluca
Old 05-30-2010, 07:51 AM
pe reivers

That's 11 questions in one go, most of which I will not answer because you know the answers already.

Don't cut the cable, but repair the shielding with a copper foil wrap!
Replacement cables have never been available. If you want to fit a new cable use the same type and length as the original. Shop around!
Brisk UR17 is a resistor plug. The ignitions will not work without resistor.
I have a plug and play replacement available for the Vlach ignition. it needs 2S LiPo though, but there is no need to change the cylinder or plug <caption></caption><thead></thead>
catalognummername
3312Lignition ICU-Light for (vlach boot)
Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Felix72

Hi,

sorry for the many questions, I just wanted to have a correct idea of what to do.

By the way I never said I want to cut the cable, but looks like you really want to discourage me from opening the ignition box to see if its possible to detach the cable, slide a new short piece of braid over the hole and then attach the cable again there where it was before!

I will try to find the copper foil and wrap it around the hole then maybe use a shrinking tube, if I can find one of the good size to pass over the plug cup, and still shirk enough to keep the copper foil in position!

Thanks for your suggestion
Gianluca
Old 05-30-2010, 04:31 PM
pe reivers

Opening the Vlach box is a last resort. Just taping the foil in place over the damaged shielding will do IMHO.
I know from my dealing with mr Vlach that he needed to test all special requests before he would release it, so I understood that cable impedance and propertiesis important for the workings of the ignition.
If you are confident with that, go ahead.