Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Purple Brushless Electric Ultimate BiPe

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Purple Brushless Electric Ultimate BiPe

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Purple Brushless Electric Ultimate BiPe

I"am using the motor,esc set up on a mini stick now. It flys good but vert is limited. It has enough power to do rolling harriers, snaps and great flat spins.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:17 PM
KWJ48

Here's some pics of my build. I haven't flown it yet , but I used hs 55 servos, this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXKSY5]ESC[/link], and this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXLWU1]motor[/link]. The motor is just a bit more kv than the park 480 so it should do well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47223.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	574347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52780.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	574348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92956.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	574349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26817.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	574350  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 PM
rev

It looks like it is build fairly good, by your pics.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:15 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

Here's some pics of my build. I haven't flown it yet , but I used hs 55 servos, this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXKSY5]ESC[/link], and this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXLWU1]motor[/link]. The motor is just a bit more kv than the park 480 so it should do well.

Hah I just put in a motor with similiar specs.

Now the BiPe flies with about 40% throttle and does go straight up almost unlimited.

My flight times with my 2200mAh batteries have been cut to about 14 minutes though, whereas the other motor was giving me about 30 minutes... but it was far more anemic.

Make sure your ESC will handle 20amps+.

My 15/25 amp ESC is really borderline with that motor.... I'm going to change it out too.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:23 PM
rev

What motor?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
opjose

I upgraded to a motor almost identical to this one [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXLWU1]CLICK ME![/link] which is what KWJ48 used.

It draws quite a bit from the ESC even when underpropping the plane.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:52 PM
rev

What size and make prop are you using?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:53 PM
KWJ48

The esc is a 35 amp, so it should be ok. I found a 10x5e and a 10x7e at my hobby shop to try. I also ordered a couple of 9'' e props to try. opjose what prop are you using with that motor ?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:12 PM
opjose

I flew it today with a 9x6E prop.

The plane was nice and fast with this, flying constant level at about 35-40% throttle.

I did note a LOT of torque however as I kept trimming the ailerons throughout the flight.

The small wings of the BiPE may be coming into play.

I'm using the Tower Pro ESC that is rated at 15A continuous 25A burst.

The ESC was warm, approaching HOT, one of my batteries got very warm, indicating that I was reaching the battery's maximum draw. Another identical pack stayed cool throughout the flight...

I'm going to order higher draw batteries for this plane... (check out the ones on NP's web page, they are pretty good for the price, I have four of them which I use for my Super Sportster EP in a 3S2P configuration... 4400mAh...).

I brought the plane in after 12 minutes on each 2000mAh pack today, as I did not know when the cutoff would kick in... I haven't timed the duration yet.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:00 PM
KWJ48

Well I finally maidened my ultimate today. I only ran 2 packs (TP 2100's) through it though. A couple clicks and the plane flew great. I flew with a 10x5e apc prop and it seemed to have plenty of power. It slowed down pretty good too. Run times were roughly 10-12 min. I didn't throw nothing hard at it. I did notice (with my set-up) on tight loops it liked to snap out at the top. The knife edge is pretty good too. I flew mainly at 1/2 throttle (full throttle a couple of times) and the ESC and battery were pretty warm, but I had no cut outs. I need to get a watt meter so I can tell how much power I'm pulling. I think I need larger arms for my aileron servos, as my roll rate was kind of slow, but still not bad, compared to my rudder and elevator. On high rates I have as much as I can get on all the tail feathers, and it seems to flip the plane around pretty good. On the second landing I came down kind of hard, but no damage other than the landing gear was bent some. I think I'm gonna put some checkers on the bottom, as this plane can get small quick if you don't keep it close. This is a great little bipe. [8D]
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
rev

My plane should be here tomorrow with any luck. I have a extra motor and esc since my mini stick kissed the ground yesterday.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

I did notice (with my set-up) on tight loops it liked to snap out at the top.
This is quite common with the Ultimates... There is a range of elevator throw where this will happen.

Either INCREASE or DECREASE the throw until it stops.

Increasing causes both wings to stall equally stopping the out of round... decreasing lessens the stall with the same effect.

I increase mine to the point that the high rates stop going out of round on the tight loops and the low rates give me big unstalled loops.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:58 PM
rev

The purple bird is ready to fly- once the weather coperates. I replaced some of the hardware, wheel axle bolts were to short . and it balances tail heavy at the rec. c.g. .
Old 01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
opjose

At the recommended C.G. mine still has a tendancy to climb at 60% throttle so don't be afraid to be a little nose heavy.

I have a 2200mAh battery in mine.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:29 PM
rc302

i have the mini pluse and i crashed today in a tree flow it alot over 50 times just looked at my friend when he was talking to me and got into a tree but they fly so nice you think they fly them self lol anyways i have the 450 e-flite outrunner and the 20amp esc and all of the servo will the esc be big enough for this combo thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 AM
rev

It took me over 14 years to make this mistake but my time had come . I was going to test fly the ultimate ,started down the runway and on lift off the plane started to bank left so I added right input, it did a nice 360 roll then a hard hit removing the pants ,gear,cowl and top wing split on the glue joint. Yes I hooked the servos up wrong. I repaired the top wing , and gear I"ll try again when the weather changes.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: rc302

i have the mini pluse and i crashed today in a tree flow it alot over 50 times just looked at my friend when he was talking to me and got into a tree but they fly so nice you think they fly them self lol anyways i have the 450 e-flite outrunner and the 20amp esc and all of the servo will the esc be big enough for this combo thanks
Yup it will be very well powered with this setup. No problems at all.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:55 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: rev

It took me over 14 years to make this mistake but my time had come . I was going to test fly the ultimate ,started down the runway and on lift off the plane started to bank left so I added right input, it did a nice 360 roll then a hard hit removing the pants ,gear,cowl and top wing split on the glue joint. Yes I hooked the servos up wrong. I repaired the top wing , and gear I"ll try again when the weather changes.
I did just about the same thing with a PTS P-51D.

I was trying to adjust the throttle low idle point on my TX and had inadvertently reversed the ailerons.

The plane started down the runway. It lifted off and started a slight left roll.

I corrected, it rolled more, I corrected more, it stalled, went straight up, nosed straight down from about 25 feet into the asphalt...

No more plane. Entire front half of the fuselage gone, Carb busted off the engine. couple of servos shot/broken.

Another time the hold downs for my Ailerons on my NP Ultimate 40S broke off due to my extreme throws (150%) in flight causing no aileron response.

My plane was in a turn at the time coming off a blender move.

I couldn't get it out of the turn... but I still had SOME control.

In a panic I started calling out to other club members for help. This only drew a small crowd to watch my anxious state.

The plane was fairly far out, and moving in big angled circles further and further away.

I was able to keep it from hitting some trees using the elevator.

After about 3-4 pucker factor minutes I remembered that I still had a working RUDDER.
I had practised an aileron servo failure situation in G3 the day before... so I gave it slight rudder movements, and I was able to right the plane.

Continued "pulses" permitted me to direct the plane back towards the runway, w/o rolling it sideways again.

I brought it down IMMEDIATELY at a 35% angle to the runway.

It landed and stopped right in front of me. The onlookers were amused and thought that I had a radio glitch and had regained control of the plane.

Fortunately the NP Ultimate 40S is stable enough that it doesn't roll a lot with pure rudder movement as many planes do... whew!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 PM
JawaSnack

I have a couple of these motors just waiting to go in a plane, do you think it will fly the ultimate ok? (i'm not looking to 3D, just sport flying)

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2048

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-10-2007, 07:31 AM
rev

I was able to madin the ultimate yesterday. It wsa very stable. With a e-flight 400 740 kv it was under powered. I change it to a 370 1350 kv with a 9x6 prop. I think a e-flight 480 would make a good match.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
opjose

JawaSnack:

You should do well with that motor. I was considering using one of those originally.

You just need to prop it correctly.

Rev:

Yeah I have the EF400 on an Ultimate FX and it does appear to be a bit too weak for this plane.

Even the 450 should do fine, but it should scream with the 480....

Old 01-12-2007, 09:43 PM
JawaSnack

Thanks opjose!! I was hoping I would be able to use one of those motors on it! It will be while before I get to try it out, but I'll post here how it goes...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:51 PM
rc302

iam still waiting for my its on its way just hate waiting iam in michigan takes forever got to love ups
Old 01-13-2007, 04:33 AM
opjose

Yeah NP sells the clone of the Hacker A20-20L which is what I was going to use, except they were out at the time.

I had pushed the numbers for this motor through one of the on-line plane calculators and while it will not give unlimited verticals it should be able to hover the plane at higher throttle with the right prop.

It will certainly give you plenty of acrobatic power. Just make sure you use one of the "E" props and use the calcs to figure out how much run time you want.

You can sacrifice run time for performance, so you could get fast flight and good vertical for a shorter period of time with the LiPo's, or you can opt for slightly slower flight and longer flight times.

I went with the latter, yet there is more than enough a reserve for acrobatics... I usually bring it in after 20 minutes, so I don't have to deal with the low power cut off.

I don't have an exact figure for a full run time on my setup yet, so what I did (but have been unable to complete because of the weather) is I run the battery until I'm concerned about remaining current, then note how many minutes of flight I had.

I then take the battery (home) and charge it, noting the amount of energy that went back into the battery.

e.g. if my 2200 mAh batteries ran for 15 minutes, and I take it home and find that the battery only accepted 1200 mAh charge I know that I'll have at least an additional 7-8 minutes of flight time before I have to bring the plane down in the future.

I wish that NP would pick up some of the bigger Tower Pro motors.

I've had great luck with the 2915-5D's and larger on 3lb+ planes and I'd like to try the bigger TP .40 & .46 equivalents.

I know that these motors are no where as efficient as say the hackers, but for the low price I'm very happy with them.

I put a 2915-5D in a GP Super Sportster EP which turned it into a space ship. It SCREAMS with two 2200mAh 3S 12C LiPos (the ones which NP sells) in parallel, using a 60Amp TP ESC.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:41 AM
opjose

BTW: I find that the wheel covers are fairly easy to crack as they come with the plane.

I would suggest that you mix up some epoxy and coat the inside of the pants/covers (if you are going to use them), then let them dry.

A second coat would be even better. This should build up a layer of epoxy to strengthen them at minimal weight penalty... of course you could also fiberglass the inside in the process too.

A fuel proofing mix (50% mixed 30 min epoxy and 50% denatured alcohol ) applied to the inside of the plane also helps to strengthen the fuselage... I do this regularly with many of my planes, including the electric BiPe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.