Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Storage of OS 120FS with pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage of OS 120FS with pump

I would like to store my engine for 5 or 6 months. Can I use Hobbico after run oil? Does it ruin the pump? Do I just put the after run oil in the cab and turn a couple of times or do I put it in the piston through the glow plug hole. Is there anything else that I need to do?
Old 10-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Storage of OS 120FS with pump

For long-term storage of your O.S. Max FS-120 Surpass w/pump, your best bet is to remove the engine from the model. Remove the pump from the engine and force rubbing alcohol through it to clean out any fuel and fuel residue. Put it in its own plastic bag.

Remove the carb, push the alcohol through it to remove old fuel, and put it in its own bag, or the bad with the pump.

Now load the bottom-end of the engine with a good quality oil. A commercial after-run product, a good air-tool oil, automatic transmission fluid, non-graphite gun oil, or similar products should be used. Remove the glow plug and flood the cylinder with the oil. Remove the rocker cover and flood the rocker area and the pushrod tubes with the oil.

You can't get too much oil in or on the engine and its parts. Put the engine in a plastic bag. Now put the engine bag, and the pump/carb bag in another bag to keep everything together. Don't forget the screws and rocker cover.

When you next want to use the engine, clean it up with fresh model fuel or alcohol...even mineral spirits. Lightly oil the insides, reassemble it, and you should be ready to go.

It's a messy process, but it insures you that nothing will corrode in the meantime. You want old fuel out of the engine, because it's not really a good corrosion inhibitor, especially if the fuel you're using is all-synthetic. If your fuel has castor oil in it, you want it out of the engine because the castor will gel and harden over time. It will tend to clog the ports in the pump and carb, and be a sticky substance in the bearings. It will take a lot of cleaning to remove the congealed residue.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:53 AM

Bill, I would like to know if the Hobbico After-run oil damages the pump and regulator.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any petroleum product, once it gets inside the fuel passages of the pump and carburetor will cause damage to the seals inside. They'll take model fuel, but not petroleum-based products.

You can use a normal after-run oil in the crankcase because the pump doesn't have openings into the case. It's a gear pump, and not a diaphragm pump using crankcase pressure....unless you have the FS-120 Surpass III, whereupon you DO have a diaphragm pump, and shouldn't use a petroleum-based after-run oil.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:38 AM

Bill,

I have the SurpassIII. It's still in its box. What should I use as after run oil, if the hobbico oil is not permitted? Mind that here in Chile we don't have everything you have over there!

Thanks,