Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

shootin talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shootin talk

i guess there isnt too many rifle guys here. or are pistols just more fun to talk about? i dont intend on picking up a pistol any time soon for obvious reasons (i'm not 18 until next Sunday) but i may see about selling some stuff and picking up my first center fire. whats an accurate, quiet and most importantly, cheap round for rifles? has to be rifle as you have to be 21 to buy handguns and their ammo. cheap is $.75 or less. i know i can get golden bear 30.06 for a little more, i cal get .223 steel for about $.25 in steel ir brass for maybe a cent or two more.

the reason round cost is so important is because my bullet money is usually what ever i get when i cash in pop cans (MI $.10 ftw!). i have been getting about $30 recently but it can also be as low as $6 and i enjoy shooting.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

You're gonna have a hard time fitting all of that criteria. If you want to go centerfire forget about quiet... and cheap unless you pick up something in 7.62x39, known in popular culture as the AK round. Just don't expect any match winning groups. Yes you can get steel cased ammo for the calibers you mentioned, but most rifles you will find in the AK round will be somewhat designed around it. You could probably pick up a box or 2 (20 rounds) of it for 6 and a little change maybe. If you make 30 you're good to shoot all day pretty much.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
cumquat

by quiet, i meant quieter than a 20 gauge. by accurate io meant capable of hitting a 18"x24" metal plate at 30 yards withing 3 seconds of aiming. i'm not looking to win any 100 yard comps. the round doesnt have to be the dead cheapest stuff around, i'd just like to be able to shoot for an hour for less than $50.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Blkft1

ORIGINAL: Nik.

ORIGINAL: Blkft1
The 1377 is nice and has a decent aftermarket support, I used mine on small rodents and starlings so precision and reasonable power is there in stock form within a reasonable range. I do like them now that they have black furniture as opposed to the brown that they had, goes good with the black 13/22XX stock.
very cool. I have a crosman 2100 from the 80s that I have had apart a hundred times and shoots smoother than it should. Since the 1377/pc77 has the same internals, I figured I needed one. I was considering getting an RWS 34 but I like being able to pump it up just a few times and mess around with it. If I wanted a break barrel, that is the one I would get though.
I've heard great things about the RWS34, I've been looking at the FeuerKraft in a magnum springer but heard it is a scope muncher, for the $$ I might just buy another .22lr like the Savage TRR? One way to bump up precision in a 1377 is to recrown it [drill+brass screw+valvle lap compound] and either change or compress the trigger spring to lighten it up. Some of the newer units have a spring that is firmer and noncompressible, worst cas scenario look up AC airguns for a spring and a replacement rear breech screw which always strip out. These are fun,you can do cheap mods or change a $50 airgun to a $350+ project.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

I see, in that case I still suggest the 7.62x39. Its well within the accuracy standards you mentioned, as is just about any rifle you can buy these days. I think you should be careful shooting at steel. Consider stepping it back to 100 yards or so. With practice you could hit a target that size at 100 yards in under 3 seconds.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 AM
cumquat

the steel i shoot at is 16G, .22l goes through it or at least gets stuck in it. i will probably be using it at the range more than my back yard for obvious reasons but i will squeeze a few round off every now and then out back.
i have a small issue with the round though, its hard to find in bolts. i found one but its up there http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34009-55.html . a bit pricey for me right now.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 AM
HJJFFFAA

Eh, get an SKS.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cumquat

the steel i shoot at is 16G, .22l goes through it or at least gets stuck in it. i will probably be using it at the range more than my back yard for obvious reasons but i will squeeze a few round off every now and then out back.
i have a small issue with the round though, its hard to find in bolts. i found one but its up there http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34009-55.html . a bit pricey for me right now.
Savage Arms makes a nice bolt action .223. Its called the 10FP I think. My friend bought one a few years back, he paid like $450. We went out camping with it and brought like 1000 rounds of surplus Russian ammo. We shot at just about everything there is to shoot at in a forest, and still had about 500 rounds to spare.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
cumquat

i saw an axis in .223 for 2 something on ctd. i may see what the local gun shop has and what they want for them in a couple weeks. i still have to decide what i'm going to sell. i could sell my video games for about $400 (ds lite, dsi, ps3, bs2, game cube, n64, nes and games for all) all together or i could sell my savage over under for about $275. i most likely will talk to my grandpa and convince him to let me sell the records. at as little as 10 cents a piece i'm looking at $100 and i know that many are worth at least $1.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: OIF/OEFrc13
I've personally never liked the way they feel, so I quit buying them. I think they are great guns, but when it comes to pistols if it doesn't feel right it doesn't feel right.
I cant stand the triggers... I'm thinking about selling my Glock 36.
Well, if you know a good guns smith you can make it considerably better but you are talking a lot of money to do it. [&:]
Old 07-04-2011, 08:37 AM
tommygun32

As we're talking guns here....I've found out that I can purchase a pellet gun here in Dubai.

I'm interested in a break barrel .22 pellet rifle with a quality sight. I like sniping tin cans and pizza boxes in the desert. Thinking about 850 to 900 fps with solid lead pellets, no silly hybrid pellets, don't want things tumbling down range.

I don't mind dropping coin on quality and I hate wasting it on c&@p.

What do you all think about these? Or do you have other suggestions and I'll see if it's available here in Dubai...[&:]

http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.ph...366&height=768
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 AM
tommygun32

Was able to find out what the one shop here sells.

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/englis...te/e_index.htm

http://www.gamo.com/portal/international/rifles

Anyone have experience with these? Your choice?

As always, thank you.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM
cumquat

any particular reason for 22 and break? .177 is often cheaper and more accurate but lacks in the killing capability. all three of those brands are respectable.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 AM
tommygun32

Cheaper is not an issue with me bro. I like the 'punch' of the .22 in addition to the ammo's variety...like you've eluded to..

Break barrel just seems to be what is more readily available out here, and quite powerful. If I were to go with .177 we're talking more than 1000fps, but with a small and light projectile like that, I'm thinking it may start tumbling down range rather than flying true and straight. The same guns with different bore brings the fps down by about 300 or so.

What are you thinking? Pump or Co2? Co2 is not readilly available here. I've seen the 'pump' style. i.e. bicycle pump style, but I'm not at all interested in that. The other 'pump' style...just more working parts that can break is my thinking...[&:]

Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM
cumquat

the 'bicycle pump" style is called pcp (pre-charged pneumatic). thats no bike pump, they are compressing air to over 3000psi. the other pump is simply called pneumatic. the break barrel is a form of springer. a springer is a gun that uses a high strength spring to drive a piston to give the pellet its power.

i was actually thinking, if you can fine them, either an under lever or a side lever. they function much like a break barrel except you dont use the barrel as the cocking lever. a common sidelever is the rws diana 48 and an underlever is the weihrauch hw57.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM
tommygun32

Hmmmm...thanks cumquat. I'll look into those options and if they're available here.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Nik.

Weihrauch and RWS Diana are some of the best break barrels you can buy. The thing about spring guns though is you need to hold them really loose to shoot accurately. PCP and Co2 guns dont care how you hold them.

.22 is just as accurate or more so than .177, and carries a lot more mass. Pellets just cost more and are harder to find here.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 PM
tommygun32

Thanks Nik. Highly appreciated.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:09 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: OIF/OEFrc13
I've personally never liked the way they feel, so I quit buying them. I think they are great guns, but when it comes to pistols if it doesn't feel right it doesn't feel right.
I cant stand the triggers... I'm thinking about selling my Glock 36.
Well, if you know a good guns smith you can make it considerably better but you are talking a lot of money to do it. [&:]
The triggers are not spring tensioned, and there is no way to modify them to be. The resistance on the trigger is scavenged from the sear, not by a mainspring like with a 1911. Trigger work can be done, but to a limited degree.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shot 165 hot loads, around 20,000 cup (over stock 14,000cup)

really heavy thump, was shooting next to a 44mag, which was just a smidge louder.

after 40shots i started feeling it, after 80 that was the end of pin-point accuracy, after 100 blisters develouped on middle finger part of palm and thumb, after 150 my blisters broke open, hand going numb, at about 160 i had to rest as i could not cock back the hammer.

gun after 850+ rounds still tight as new, my arm was sore for a day.

shooting the hot loads one handed was a hoot!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Blkft1

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Cheaper is not an issue with me bro. I like the 'punch' of the .22 in addition to the ammo's variety...like you've eluded to..

Break barrel just seems to be what is more readily available out here, and quite powerful. If I were to go with .177 we're talking more than 1000fps, but with a small and light projectile like that, I'm thinking it may start tumbling down range rather than flying true and straight. The same guns with different bore brings the fps down by about 300 or so.

What are you thinking? Pump or Co2? Co2 is not readilly available here. I've seen the 'pump' style. i.e. bicycle pump style, but I'm not at all interested in that. The other 'pump' style...just more working parts that can break is my thinking...[&:]

Thanks again for the input.
Sometimes the 1000+FPS rating on some airguns are based upon a specific pellet like the Gamo PBA [super light weight] and not any of the standard weight pellets out there. I suggest researching on other forums or atleast Pyramidair in regards to reviews. RWS and Weiurerach [sp?] are very respectable companies and you shouldnt go wrong with either [again,do research], I tend to stick mainly to pumpers [and the occassional springer] due to not depending on [or the availabilty of] any extra support equipment while in field,,,just my perspective only. The RWS 34 seems to be a highly recommended first quality springer that you will not outgrow soon on most reviews and thread forums.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oooh, we moved onto air weapons! I have a Diana mod .38 break barrel air rifle, it's a real beauty with a genuine 1000fps with a .177 round.

I was using it for target for a while til I ralised it was slowly destroying my 4mm mild steel pellet trap. Not only that, but at anything less than 25 meters, the pellets were hitting the back of the trap so violently that they were basically exploding and sending tiny fragments of lead back through the paper target. After a couple of shots it looks like someone had a go at it with a shotgun. I kinda regret buying it now, since it is 'over the top' in terms of power.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:04 AM
cumquat

foxy, i think you are one of the first people to admit they regret buying a gun because its TOO powerful.

i had a thought, is there a power/speed limit in Dubai? i know in the uk they are limited to 12ft. lbs. and i've heard Canada is limited to 700fps or so without a firearms license.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 AM
J.D.T

Since I know tommy has a budget of $$$$$ I would say go for the RWS 54, its a sweet piece, I don't buy airguns but my friends all think its fun to have them so I have shot most on the market and even thought the Diana 460 is probably slightly better dollar value the RWS 54 is by far my favorite...but at $600 good guy price from my local shop where I have spent a pile I would build another AK or get a heck of a start on an AR for the price.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 AM
J.D.T

On a side note did any of you know how important an airgun was to american history, seems Lewis and Clarke had an airgun with them, Lewis had a multi round airgun which he not only used for hunting along the way but would also set up demonstations for indians to show them how it held many bullets and could refire quickly, I was told 20 years ago in school about how they had xx rifles and xx shotguns and xx pistols but never heard about this airgun until much later. Its mentioned in both mens journals, notations are found in several of the other mens tails as well as accounts from indian tribes they encountered, google lewis and clark airgun, lots of stuff pops up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.