Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Laziness or Lack of Common Sense?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 AM
mixerfix
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Laziness or Lack of Common Sense?

Ed, that's an... ummm... humbling, I think, story. But this is probably NOTthe type of people who cause gripes. Or some of the major gripes. I can give you a example from another forum I frequent, an Israeli one, as it happens...

A member (whose signature reads - and this ISpertinent - "it is only in the dictionary that success precedes work") posted a question along the following lines (note, Iam quoting the gist of the total question AND much of the text, mainly translating):

Hi,

Iam too lazy to read the manual or make or buy a Y-splitter for my aileron servo, so how can I program my Futaba 9 so that two channels control ailerons?

Thanks!

When Iasked him whether he gets some sense of mental disequilibrium between his question and his signature, he simply answered - "No. There are people here who will answer." So, Ianswered his question, but I just feel... what? Saddened?

Those of you who know Hebrew can see the whole exchange here....

M
ORIGINAL: edwal07

Hey guys,
All kidding aside. Have you ever stopped to think what the National Average for reading comprehension is in the US? About the 9th grade level or less! Then there is the matter of common sense! That in its self is another whole ball of wax. Just because many can read the words in a manual they have no clue, or do not understand what they have read! The mental aptitude of understanding varies from person to person, some are mechanicaly inclined, others are a whiz at math. At work I had a mechanic ask me a question on installing a part and torque values. I gave him the manual and turned it to the pages he needed and told him here is the information, you can follow the instructions and learn for yourself if you get into a tight spot let me know. However about 10 minutes later he came over to me with the book and stated very quitely, "I know you are trying to help but I cannot read." This was from a 24yr old. No one in the shop knew! Now how stupid do you think I felt. To make a long story short do not ASSUME some can comprehend what is written on your level. Some can, some cannot, so I would hold the smart replies and egotistic remarks until you KNOWFORA FACT just who you are responding to!
Nuf said!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 AM
edwal07

Yes, the story was true! My only intention was to show that some can comprehend more than others, and the vast number of people who cannot read in our modern day society! That is a pity, be it from a problem they cannot control. However, and let me restate, HOWEVER there are those who will not try or cannot understand because they are too lazy or would rather depend on others to do their work or provide them a care free, do this for me, type of life. The world is full of both. I have little patience with the latter. And yes, there will always be those who want someone else to shoulder their load and give them for free what you have worked hard for. But in the world of "anonymity" on the forum we should try to give correct and accurate advice, as we know not who we are responding to. It is up to the one posting the question to do or not do what you suggested. As stated before, if you think it's a dumb question, don't bother just keep on going.
I truly believe in thissummationof Maslow's theory, "Who you are now, is what you were when." Think about that and it willgive you aninsight into themysteries of the way people think, behave, and react!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

The kid next door to me was told by the fastlube guys that changed his oil his serpentine belt on the front of his truck was about to break and he needed to change it asap! He went and bought the belt and the local auto repair wanted $40 to change it. I told him he could replace it himself in 5 minutes. I went over and showed him how to release tension on the belt and where the belt diagram was and let him at it to replace it. An hour later he came over and told me he can't do it. I went over and of course replaced it in 5 minutes and then told him it would be $20 for the help. You should of seen his face when he thought he was going to have to cough up $20 to me, I then told him I was just kidding. I am blown away by the lack of mechanical ability of many of our generation X'ers, so sad!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Here's the deal. Car forums are much different than the airplane forums. In the car forums you can see the same question every other thread some days. in fact if you searched for broken rustler, I bet you would find 3,456 threads on the same issue.

I don't notice any of this in the airplane forums.
Really? Oh really? From memory, the daily saga includes;

What's a good trainer plane?
What's a good second plane?
My engine stalls when I throttle up, what's wrong?
I can't get it started, and I did everything.
What glow plug, fuel, prop, do I use?
How do I break in an ABC engine?
I keep tuning the high speed mixture and it still won't idle.
Is this engine as good as my OS?

What is a good radio, 6 or 7 channel?
What is a good radio, JR or Futaba?
Is 72Mhz bad and 2.4 Ghz good?

What fuel do I use in a 4 stroke?

Is the AMA worth it?
I'd like to see AMA make the MA magazine optional.
Will FAA shut down our hobby?
When will FCC eliminate 72Mhz?

And my favorite, How do I get my plane out of a tree?

People should SEARCH before posting a new thread, but we're patient, friendly people in the airplane section, and allow for it.

P.S.
Loved the facepalm image, so I printed it and will frame it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM
The Hedgehog

I was being dramatic about the differences, but compared to the rc car forums the airplane forums look like they are populated by geniuses.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I return to my original question posted earlier in this forum. Why do redundant or very basic questions offend some folks so? Why not just ignore them and go on with your day? If someone asks a question that you think, without ever talking to the OP, he should know the answer to, just skip it and go on to something that is more appealing to you. Problem solved. Nobody gets flamed, nobody gets indignant.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Eman77

I was being dramatic about the differences, but compared to the rc car forums the airplane forums look like they are populated by geniuses.
I may be oversimplifying, but I'm guessing that's largely due to heli/airplane guys being more experienced with RCs in general. In other words, I'm guessing the majority (not all, but most) fliers didn't jump straight to flying cold turkey w/out ANY ground RC experience - so they know the basics. Another possibility is that maybe most fliers are an older crowd, since flying can be more expensive in general - so you end up with a more mature crowd.

Just guessing here, but perhaps my points above are true to some degree.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I return to my original question posted earlier in this forum. Why do redundant or very basic questions offend some folks so? Why not just ignore them and go on with your day? If someone asks a question that you think, without ever talking to the OP, he should know the answer to, just skip it and go on to something that is more appealing to you. Problem solved. Nobody gets flamed, nobody gets indignant.
It clogs up the forums and they end up needing a new server, Which in-turn does not work worth crap and the pic up-loader does not work anymore....get it?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
edwal07

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I may be oversimplifying, but I'm guessing that's largely due to heli/airplane guys being more experienced with RCs in general. In other words, I'm guessing the majority (not all, but most) fliers didn't jump straight to flying cold turkey w/out ANY ground RC experience - so they know the basics. Another possibility is that maybe most fliers are an older crowd, since flying can be more expensive in general - so you end up with a more mature crowd.

I am from the Airplane side. And at times our forums are goofy too! I now can see the difference as you mentioned, no one (well I hope not) would pay out the wazoo for a plane and try to fly it with no help! I could see that with an RC Car or Boat! I have been in this hobby since I was 8 and lets just say a LOOOONG time has passed. However with the fast pace of technology I too at times must ask questions. Maybe I left the ground before I jumped. But most airplane guys must go to a flying field, and unless you have experience and know how to fly it will not be permitted unless you have a trainer. And at some clubs they have a mandantory equipment inspection before you fly, just to be on the safe side. I will now go back to the airplane side where I belong. Have fun guys and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
trax de max

i need help i bought a motor from flea bay, if i take out the brushes will i be able to use lipo and a 1.20gigawatt  flux capicaitor out my dads car or will i have to search for a 1.21 gigawatt from dr brown high capicity capacitor from the third story of the bungalow
Old 12-29-2010, 12:16 PM
The Hedgehog

Which bungalow?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Seems as if redfisher was offended by my question. Anyone notice his signature line?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
LewAshby
Banned

Being older does not excuse people from Internet Ignorance.

Visit a Harley Davidson message board and you will see these people act just like the kids on here... Then again, maybe that is where the kids are getting it from
Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
redfisher1974

Seems as if redfisher was offended by my question. Anyone notice his signature line?
me offended? Not in the least. my signature is from a b-list cult classic.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
baldowl
My Feedback: (11)

Actually, have you not heard the old saying? "Some men learn from lecture. Some men learn from reading, and some men just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
LewAshby
Banned

Mythbusters showed that peeing on the electrial fence does nothing because the stream is broken up by the time it hits it.

(First thing I thought of when I read your post).
Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

It clogs up the forums .......
Uh, your 6800 posts aren't clogging?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:36 PM
LewAshby
Banned

It's the quantiy of posts, not the quality.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
mixerfix
My Feedback: (1)

Idon't think so. Icame "back" to flying after 30 years. My original experience was... ummm... three flights of a CL Spitfire. Ikilled the poor birdie and did not touch another plane for 30 years. When I did come back to the stuff (2-3 years ago) - it took me.... oh.... let's call it half a day to learn the basic terminology. Like "thar upright thingy" being the tail and "them things that go up and down" being the ailerons.

Today, on the Israeli forms, another noob (and this one also looks like a young boy) basicly asked to be taught to operate his Tx. No, he has NOTread the manual. It is in English which he does not know well... I offered him to meet at the flight line and go over his radio with him. But that's a language barrier, happens. That is NOTa laziness barrier. Laziness, and not creative laziness but obstructive one, should be punished by Darwination.

Ido admit that having read the classics helps.

M

Old 12-29-2010, 03:09 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I said the same thing although I believe I made it too wordy and too many big words for some on here to read.....

Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: rambler53

It clogs up the forums .......
Uh, your 6800 posts aren't clogging?
Yeah most of them answering the same questions over and over.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM
jatoracing33

Out of my own laziness I am not reading the past 3 pages. Anyways, it's probably more lazy than common sense. Most of the people asking these questions are probably kids who are given everything in life and their parents bow down to them, doing anything and everything the kid wishes. And when something goes wrong and mommy and daddy can't figure it out, they cry like OmG GUIZZ I CANTT FIGUR THIS OUTTTT!!!!!!!11!! ((((. And because they never have to do anything themselves, they probably wouldn't even know what a manual is to look in one. I have been in the hobby for 4 years and know 1000 times more than kids like that because I do everything myself, when I have issues, I either look in my manual or GOOGLE it. For being such a huge company and a pioneer in computer technology, people seem to forget Google alot.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

I return to my original question posted earlier in this forum. Why do redundant or very basic questions offend some folks so?
See post #37
Old 12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
jeeper91
My Feedback: (4)

I find that in today's society it is an insult to tell me that I have common sense, considering that the lack of sense is more common than what I have. I find more often than not in my world of greater advancement, that it is much more respectful to refer to those with greater thinking abilities as MIRACLED THINKERS. Miracled Thinking - because it is a miracle that someone actually thinks before anything. However being the most misunderstood individual in the world, while speaking the same kings english as everyone else in my life, tells me that I am far too advanced for this world. I do help as often as possible, but theres nothing like the lesson of experience. The School of Hard Knocks has more alumni than any other school in the world. And face it failure is only funny when it isn't your money.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Duct tape, Good for everything except duct work...lol

Exactly right, you gotta use foil tape on duct work. You could use foil tape on tires as well if you want a chrome rim look...
I recently learned this myself...

ThunderbirdJunkie -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.