Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

laptop to TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 PM
traxxasfanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laptop to TV

I want to try to hook up my laptop to my TV but I'm not really sure how to. The laptop has both HDMI and VGA connections but the TV is oldish and dosent have either. It does however have S-Video inputs. So my question is if I get something like a VGA to S-Video cable will that be all I need to get it to work? Or will I also need converter?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
justavillain

Default RE: laptop to TV

you'll need

http://www.amazon.com/TV-out-VGA-S-V...1714988&sr=8-5

and

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Male-3-5mm...1715126&sr=1-2

or

http://www.amazon.com/QVS-Speaker-mi...1715170&sr=1-2

That should be it.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
traxxasfanatic

I already have cables for audio so I wont need those. So that VGA to S-Video adapter will be all I need?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 PM
splcrazy

on my older laptop i had to use the s video lead because thats what my crappy old tv had and it worked pretty good , but the screen was very hard to read all the words were too small . but now i have a new led tv with a bunch of hdmi outputs , i got a 20meter hdmi cable from hong kong for $20 to connect my laptop to the tv but im still waiting for the cable to come cant wait to see what it will look like on the tv
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
traxxasfanatic

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

on my older laptop i had to use the s video lead because thats what my crappy old tv had and it worked pretty good , but the screen was very hard to read all the words were too small . but now i have a new led tv with a bunch of hdmi outputs , i got a 20meter hdmi cable from hong kong for $20 to connect my laptop to the tv but im still waiting for the cable to come cant wait to see what it will look like on the tv
Yea I imagine it would be pretty hard to read text on a tv. I mostly want to hook up to the tv for watching videos so it shouldn't be to bad.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 AM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: traxxasfanatic

I already have cables for audio so I wont need those. So that VGA to S-Video adapter will be all I need?
yeah i guess thats what my dad usually uses.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont you just use HDMI? It has audio and video combined... no need for adapters or anything. S-video sucks.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:51 AM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Why dont you just use HDMI? It has audio and video combined... no need for adapters or anything. S-video sucks.
ohhh my dad uses HDMI!!!! thats why he stopped using his adapter a month ago.....just noticed that.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:06 AM
justavillain

his TV doesn't have HDMI just S-Video

Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 PM
splcrazy

i got my hdmi cable and when i connect it to my tv nothing happens , but when i do the same thing with my old laptop the image from that laptop works on my tv , maybe im missing some drivers on my new laptop its a hp dm3 1104tx
Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 AM
splcrazy

i got my hdmi cable sorted out i needed to update a driver. looks pretty damn good on my 32inch led 120hz i have easy zoom on my scroll touch pad reading words is pretty good when you zoom in or when its just normal the bonus is that you get audio from it aswell , i have i tunes playing in the background while typing this lol
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to hook up my net book to my plazma, but cant stomach the $30 for a cord[&o]. i was almost to cheap to buy that tv on a really good deal in the first place
Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 AM
mechanizeddeath

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

i want to hook up my net book to my plazma, but cant stomach the $30 for a cord[&o]. i was almost to cheap to buy that tv on a really good deal in the first place
you're probably thinking store prices (Best Buy) or perhaps that gold plated nonsense. you can get a 15 foot HDMI cable for under $10, and the shorter ones are even cheaper.

try newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, or ebay.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
proanti1

I get mine at walmart. $7 for 3 feet.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

you're probably thinking store prices (Best Buy) or perhaps that gold plated nonsense. you can get a 15 foot HDMI cable for under $10, and the shorter ones are even cheaper.

try newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, or ebay.
its not hdmi its that small computer screen one... whatever its called.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
proanti1

Small computer screen one? A VGA cord? You paid $30 for a freaking VGA cord?! You can go to ANY thrift store and find those for $0.50, tubs of them. Hell, you can go to radio shack and get them for like $6.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM
The_Shark

Small computer screen one? A VGA cord? You paid $30 for a freaking VGA cord?! You can go to ANY thrift store and find those for $0.50, tubs of them. Hell, you can go to radio shack and get them for like $6.
no, i didnt buy one yet as i thought $30 for a little copper is nuts. i think it was mosnter brand, which explains most of it.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
proanti1

Don't buy monster unless you need a good analog cable (audio/RCA). The thing with HDMI/VGA/eithernet/etc., is that it doesn't matter how good or bad the cable is. Its all digital, as long as there is continuity, 100% of the data is getting transferred, there is no degradation, its lossless. Those people who buy $300 HDMI cables are idiots, same with the people who buy outrageously expensive eithernet cables. A company that was selling $900 3' eithernet cables on Amazon was recently sued for false advertising.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
The_Shark

just found out its a RGB connector.