Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

help with some stereo wiring please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:41 AM
hasek1616

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with some stereo wiring please

ive got this old pair of speakers i got off of a tv and im looking to hook them up to my ipod somehow, but they have this weird plug that ive never seen before on the end of the wires, and the best way that i can think do it it is to solder av plugs (the typical red and yellow ones) onto the wires coming off of the speaker (where the plug is now) and then buy an adapter to make it able to plug into my ipod, but i cant seem to work out how it gets power. In the pictures both the red wire and the yellow wire have a black wire next to them, would this be the power source? any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as im completely new to the world of audio, and if you hae any better ways of doing it please tell me! thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44138.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1591297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47813.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1591298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71163.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1591299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57119.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1591300  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Anthoop

Default RE: help with some stereo wiring please

Those speakers do not have an amplifier, the box in picture 2 is a passive filter. The wires would be positve and negative for each speaker, black being the negative. I presume the amplifier in the ipod is only powerful enough for headphones so you would need an amplifier to run those speakers.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 AM
hasek1616

so what would you recommend solder those wires to? and amps are looking kind of expensive, are there any you'd recommend?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Spring is very near, i would suggest getting one or an Ipod dock from a yard sale for cheap. The Ipod only sends a signal, as was stated it does not put out the power to do well with speakers.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 PM
hasek1616

what do you mean by get an ipod dock? like an ihome?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 PM
buggyboy2010

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ee9745145aen02

^^^ I pod dock, They can rage from 20$-500$, If You try and just plug those speakers into Your Ipod headphone input,It is very possible You will short it out and fry Your Ipod. Only options have already been given to You, Amp or dock.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:00 PM
hasek1616

so say i buy one of those docks, what plug would i have to have coming off of the speakers?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Anthoop

If you buy one of those docking things, they already have the amp and speakers built in...you just put your ipod in there.
To make those speakers you have work with the ipod would be a lot of hassle and probably more expensive than buying the purpose made thing....put those speakers to one side for a later project.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 PM
buggyboy2010

Exactly what He said.
ORIGINAL: Anthoop

If you buy one of those docking things, they already have the amp and speakers built in...you just put your ipod in there.
To make those speakers you have work with the ipod would be a lot of hassle and probably more expensive than buying the purpose made thing....put those speakers to one side for a later project.
Grab a couple more speakers, powered sub and an amp, And make a "home made" surround sound system for Your TV Etc.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:35 PM
hasek1616

i think i will just buy a system, thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:54 PM
hasek1616

i decided i may try to hook these up to a tv, but i still have no idea how to do so, i imagine a tv would have the necessary equipment to run them, roght? and how would i wire the two positives and negatives that are coming out of the speaker? thanks for the help guys
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Anthoop

You would still need an amplifier....unless you take the wires that are connected to the current TV speakers and connect them to these speakers.
The speakers that are currently in the TV have a positve and negative connection, in the same way that these speakers do, the connector will almost definately not be the same so you will have to cut the connectors and join the wires in some fashion. Options for joining the wires are numerous, ranging from just stripping the insulation back and twisting the wires together (individually), to soldering, multi connector..etc.
If you are thinking of trying to substitute these speakers for the ones currently in the TV then you should check the impedance of both the speakers in the TV and the others, it is usually written on the back of the speaker. Also consider that the amplifier that is built into the TV is quite probably pretty low power...in short you really do need a seperate amplifier to do anything useful with these speakers.

Edit- ....unless of course you have a TV that already has amplified outputs for extra speakers (never seen it but it is possible), in which case you would just need to connect the speakers to the outputs on the back of the TV. Look at the TV manual or the connectors on the back of it, phono/rca connectors are low level so that is no, scart connectors are no...pictures or TV make and model will help if you are lost.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
hasek1616

thanks again for the help anthoop, i think i'll just leave the speakers alone for now until i get an amp
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
buggyboy2010

Whatever You do, DO NOT open that back of Your TV, Number one, You could easily short it out and left with broken TV or worst case scenario, Electrocute Yourself, The tube in a TV holds a lot of electricity ( not sure how much ) even if it is unplugged and sitting for years, But it's enough to kill You.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

The tube in a TV holds a lot of electricity ( not sure how much ) even if it is unplugged and sitting for years,
The tube does not hold the voltage, a large capacitor does and years may be a bit of an over exeration. Also the voltage is 40kV, give or take 10kV or so.

But it's enough to kill You.
Probably only if you have a weak/bad heart or a pacemaker. It may be a high voltage BUT, it's at a VERY low amperage. You can get a nasty shock but the only damage it's likely to do is when you tear your skin snatching your hand out. And, yes, I know this from personal experience.

And even this only applies to CRT's, not the newer flat panel style as the don't use conventional "tubes".

I do agree however with not tampering with the inside of a tv. There are plenty of other ways to hurt yourself inside one.

To the OP, you can get powered speakers for your ipod at any wall-mart for under $20. Nice, handy, pre wired and powered that plug into the headphone jack and will work great for any personal electronic device. They won't blast a room but are more than enough for personal use.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 AM
buggyboy2010

Exactly,I didn't know for sure what the volts/amps were, But was told all the time whenI was a kid not to do it... But now that I think about it, It was probably a scare tactic from My parents soI wouldn't take apart anymore of thier electronics..lol

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

The tube in a TV holds a lot of electricity ( not sure how much ) even if it is unplugged and sitting for years,
The tube does not hold the voltage, a large capacitor does and years may be a bit of an over exeration. Also the voltage is 40kV, give or take 10kV or so.

But it's enough to kill You.
Probably only if you have a weak/bad heart or a pacemaker. It may be a high voltage BUT, it's at a VERY low amperage. You can get a nasty shock but the only damage it's likely to do is when you tear your skin snatching your hand out. And, yes, I know this from personal experience.

And even this only applies to CRT's, not the newer flat panel style as the don't use conventional "tubes".

I do agree however with not tampering with the inside of a tv. There are plenty of other ways to hurt yourself inside one.

To the OP, you can get powered speakers for your ipod at any wall-mart for under $20. Nice, handy, pre wired and powered that plug into the headphone jack and will work great for any personal electronic device. They won't blast a room but are more than enough for personal use.