Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

any of you ever get surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: any of you ever get surgery?

What i was trying to say was pain tolerance is a state of mind and pain is only as bad as you let it be. No, you probably cannot shut it off completely but you can lessen it a lot.

Ive gotten a papercut that hurt like hell, but I have also hit a cornfield, headfirst, doing better than 60Mph and picked the bike back up and rode off, broken nose, cracked ribs and all. It depends on your situation and your drive to get things done!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: jessiej

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

so surgery isn't as painful as it seems?
Depends on the surgery. I have had quite a few, all due to various injuries ranging from combat wounds
to car and motorcycle crashes. As a previous poster noted I think some of it depends on mindset, some on an individual's pain threshold.

Often the physical therapy following some types of surgery is much more painful than the actual surgery.

Are you anticipating some sort of surgery?

jess
im not anticipating any. i may need a very minor one for my toe, but idk. my mom is taking care of it with home remedies that have worked for her several times in the past. besides, the pain has subsided greatly and its starting to look a little better. (toenail problem)

Old 05-26-2011, 04:03 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

What i was trying to say was pain tolerance is a state of mind and pain is only as bad as you let it be. No, you probably cannot shut it off completely but you can lessen it a lot.

Ive gotten a papercut that hurt like hell, but I have also hit a cornfield, headfirst, doing better than 60Mph and picked the bike back up and rode off, broken nose, cracked ribs and all. It depends on your situation and your drive to get things done!
oh okay i got it. have you actually hit a cornfield headfirst and just drove off?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

I had surgery to remove an ingrown toe nail if that's what you have and it was not painful at all; they inject some kind of pain block in your toe before they perform your surgery and you are awake while they perform the surgery.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah thats what it is an ingrown toenail. its healing a little right now so im not sure if i need to get it removed yet. i've heard the injection hurts like ****. is that true?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Hahaha yeaaaa once or twice. Between MA, Motocross and living on the "darker" side of life so many years in my past, Ive done and been through things people should not experience, and come out better than I should have lol

oh okay i got it. have you actually hit a cornfield headfirst and just drove off?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Hahaha yeaaaa once or twice. Between MA, Motocross and living on the "darker" side of life so many years in my past, Ive done and been through things people should not experience, and come out better than I should have lol

oh wow ouch!!!! once or twice!?!?!?!?!? what are you doing popping a wheelie with the front tire at a 90 degree angle?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 PM
basketballfan60123

yeah thats what it is an ingrown toenail. its healing a little right now so im not sure if i need to get it removed yet. i've heard the injection hurts like ****. is that true?
Sort of; they spray your toe with cold spray to numb it a little bit so you cannot feel the needle as much.
Trust me this surgery is nothing compared to other surgeries you might need later on in your life when you reach 30+yrs of age.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:19 PM
electricrc68
Banned

oh okay thanks. i have never had surgery before; unless getting a filling counts. after that cold spray stuff does it feel like a regular injection?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Nah just the usual things when pissin around in fields and woods. Groundhog holes, dead furrows in the field, catch a rut wrong in the woods and meet up with a tree, etc etc

oh wow ouch!!!! once or twice!?!?!?!?!? what are you doing popping a wheelie with the front tire at a 90 degree angle?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Nah just the usual things when pissin around in fields and woods. Groundhog holes, dead furrows in the field, catch a rut wrong in the woods and meet up with a tree, etc etc

oh yeah i know what you mean. i fell over a tree root once; with my own two feet.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
basketballfan60123

oh okay thanks. i have never had surgery before; unless getting a filling counts. after that cold spray stuff does it feel like a regular injection?
The cold spray really does help with controlling the pain; have you ever burnt yourself on the stove or with something hot?
Applying ice or something cold soothes the pain where it is burnt;applying cold spray where they stick the needle in numbs that area so it does not hurts as much but you will still feel the slight pain and poking sensation but not enough to worry about it I mean you are not gonna scream in pain but prepare yourself by maybe thinking about something else like something that relaxes you like video games or rc or take or take your handheld video game if the doctor allows it.
Be sure to ask the doctor to use the cold pray if he or she does not use it routinely that is if you are going to need the surgery.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

The cold spray really does help with controlling the pain; have you ever burnt yourself on the stove or with something hot?
Applying ice or something cold soothes the pain where it is burnt;applying cold spray where they stick the needle in numbs that area so it does not hurts as much but you will still feel the slight pain and poking sensation but not enough to worry about it I mean you are not gonna scream in pain but prepare yourself by maybe thinking about something else like something that relaxes you like video games or rc or take or take your handheld video game if the doctor allows it.
Be sure to ask the doctor to use the cold pray if he or she does not use it routinely that is if you are going to need the surgery.
okay thanks. i really hope i don't need the surgery.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM
eddieC

If you do get surgery, be sure to get a video of it ! 

[X(]     
Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM
electricrc68
Banned

why would i want a video of my surgery? i don't want to see what it looks like!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
elven wizard

electricrc68 - never had surgery, sorry man.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it depends what kind of surgery..... ive had an appendectomy, a hernial repair and a gastric exploratory procedure done....they were all painful.... the hardest part was not being able to lift stuff for a while , which put m flying to a halt for a lil while ,,,,,,,,,,,,, i am showing signs of carpal tunnel syndrome.... i dread that one the most...my hand will be useless for sometime, mainly my thumb
Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 PM
DeferredDefect

re"> I'm going for a consultation next month for possible surgery. I have scoliosis. where the spinal column is S shaped instead of straight. If the curve gets any worse they will need to insert a metal rod and fuse the vertebra in my back. Not exactly a fun sounding operation. This will mean that I will have to sit whenever possible and avoid any strenuous activity for around 30 years, with a possibility of paralysis or numbness as a side effect, and pain for a few years as well. Not exactly short term, either. Finally, If the curve is going to progress, and I refuse the surgery, I will have chronic back pain as well as the possibility of having my spine squash my lungs. Not exactly leaving me with much of a choice either!    
Either way, I have been working on excersises and stretches for the past few years to lessen the effect of the curvature. 

What really annoys me, however, is that I have no pain whatsoever, and the scoliosis has not bothered me one bit for the years I have had it! The surgery, however, will result in pain. Sounds counter intuitive to me, but I'm not a medical doctorologist...

Luckily, my thumbs are apparently going to be unaffected, so I can continue flying!  

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
electricrc68
Banned

man idk how doctors can do this. im fine with doing or watching surgery on a pet/other animal, but on a human, i can't stand it. thats part of the reason why i want to be a veterinarian lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:45 PM
warbird addict

LOL my ex wife surgery took 18 years to heal and she still gives me severe pains in my *****

ORIGINAL: vega406

tried to have my X wife surgically removed from my ***** but was a failure..she and the pain are still there
Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

I had a ruptured herniated disk in my lower back. I had horrible Sciatic nerve pain in my left leg. So much so that I couldn't even drive to work without stopping and finally turned around and laid down on my livingroom floor with my feet up on the couch for the whole day. That was my sign to get it fixed. Anywhoo, the surgery fixed it (they opened up the hole in my disk that the spinal cord passes though to reduce the pressure on my spinal nerve). All I can say is, there was some pain, but nothing worse than the original pain I endured with the pinched nerve. I would do it again in a second. 12 years laters, no issues, and pain free in the left leg. it was outpatient surgery, in at 6 am, out at noon. Amazing........

Dave
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
DarkFire989

Ive had an ingrown toenail on my Big toe and i had to have work done on it 4 times I think? Anyways they injected my toe with several shots of Novocaine after using some cold spray. They then wrapped a rubber band around the toe to cut off circulation for a second ( I think ) then they stick big scissors under the nail and cut the ingrown part off. Once thats done they put something on it so it kills the nail bed so it wont become ingrown again. Of course I felt none of this except for the shots which were slight pinches. Other than that its no big deal, just have the soak your foot in some solution for a few days afterwards.

In short, its no biggie. The numbing of the toe takes the longest part and they will have it fixed within minuets once its numb enough.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM
misterv

A couple of years back and at age of 75, I had major heart surgery. I had been walking around (and flying) with 95% artery blockkages. 9 hours on the table, 4 arteries and one valve replacement following 24 hours in recovery fully out to it, following 5 days in ICU. No fun. Age,overweight and grossly unfit didn't help recovery. 2 more weeks in hospital following another 3 weeks in a Rehad.centre.In ICU I had no idea where I was although when I did open my eyes I was in a car park lying on a concrete floor. When I closed my eyes I had the most fantastic colourful displays on animals always moving and morphing into one another. I was so weak for a few days I could hardy lift a toweling "teddy" that they give you to hold tight when you cough. I was sure there was a house brick wraped inside of it.
If I had been a smoker they would not have bothered.
The surgeons were first class except the wires holding ribs etc. show on xrays as a bit suspect in twisting together.
I am now fully recovered witha reconditioned heart for another "75 years" of modelling
Here in Aussie we have the top line heart surgeons from around the World together with great hospitals. With major problems like mine, there is little or no waiting list and thank goodness(or thank this great country) all was completly FREE.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Fastvxl

Well lets see where should I begin. I've had my apendix removed, a double hernia repaired, gall blader removed and they removed one gall stone the size of a large marble ( looked like a big sour lemon drop) and I still have it in a lab jar, both knees repaired, back surgery to repair 2 ruptures disk and they put a artificial disk in L-5 ( and I have 4 ruputures now) which will have to be repaired, two fingers on my left hand which had pins inserted. At the age of fourteen I had a horse fall with me and crushed my left foot. Three surgeries and six months on crutches and a year later I could actually walk again. The great game of football caused alot of my problems, ruputures, knees, fingers, and my back. Did I have pain Hell yes, did I survive, yes I did!!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 AM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

Ive had an ingrown toenail on my Big toe and i had to have work done on it 4 times I think? Anyways they injected my toe with several shots of Novocaine after using some cold spray. They then wrapped a rubber band around the toe to cut off circulation for a second ( I think ) then they stick big scissors under the nail and cut the ingrown part off. Once thats done they put something on it so it kills the nail bed so it wont become ingrown again. Of course I felt none of this except for the shots which were slight pinches. Other than that its no big deal, just have the soak your foot in some solution for a few days afterwards.

In short, its no biggie. The numbing of the toe takes the longest part and they will have it fixed within minuets once its numb enough.
okay. so it feels much better afterwards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.