Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Rotory Tool Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotory Tool Accident

I was happily cutting my plastic upper diff case in half with the hand held rotary tool on max speed when out of the blue, the bulk head gets stuck to the rotating thing and I start vibrating so fast that everything became blurry and I couldn't think properly. All i could think of that the diff case is going to hit me somehow. I couldn't move my fingers fast because of the vibrations reduced my co ordination. I saw the familiar looking yellow blur which was the speed control (not that i knew of it during being vibrated) and i turned it. Speed reduced to half and I gained half my co ordination back so I slowly turned off the switch. I was shivering after that for like 5 minutes. That was the scariest 20 seconds of my life, it felt like being half paralysed moving at the speed of sound. My hands are still abit numb 10 minutes from the accident. Remember to be careful of your tools.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rotory Tool Accident

My pet peeve with Dremels are those very thin cutting discs. They can shatter easily and pieces go flying. Always wear eye protection.

The thicker discs with the re-inforcing weave are much stronger, but can't always be used due to their thickness (such as making a slot in a small stipped allen-head screw).

Whenever possible, I mount the part I want to Dremel in a vice and use both hands on the Dremel,, but that's not always possible either.

Oh, I forgot, I've had to do an emergency stop before and silly me, I tried (more than once) to shut it off using that little slide switch that locks the shaft from moving so you can loosen/tighten the chuck. Make a nice noise, but doesn't stop it....LOL.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a few good 1+ inch scars on my leg, and a few good ones on my hand due to my dremel. Cutting something and it all of a sudden catches, goes flying forward, and cuts through whatever clothes, and skin is in the way.
STILL my favorite tool though

Agree about the thin cutting disc seems some last for ever, and the next one on the same material will last like 15 seconds before it shatters, and flies everywhere.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 PM
The_Shark

what? no gore, lame.

i had a dremmel almost claim my crotch once, i was sitting down, cutting, then turned it off, and placed it on my lap, the button got switched when it fell and turned on, thankfully my jeans stopped it from giving me a vasectomy
Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 PM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol the funniest thing i saw happen was to a guy at tafe here in melb trade school i was standing outside the room watching my friend using a grinder with a sanding disc , sanding a steel box he welded up , and he was sanding the welds when all of a sudden the box somehow moved then the grinder bounced off the box and into his chest LOL the grinder slammed into his chest and winded his big jumper into a massive twist , he was freaking out screaming while i was laughing for a few seconds , after that i went in there and disconected the power lol the jumper was destroyed and he had a nice big red abbarasion bruise on his chest lol
Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

lol the funniest thing i saw happen was to a guy at tafe here in melb trade school i was standing outside the room watching my friend using a grinder with a sanding disc , sanding a steel box he welded up , and he was sanding the welds when all of a sudden the box somehow moved then the grinder bounced off the box and into his chest LOL the grinder slammed into his chest and winded his big jumper into a massive twist , he was freaking out screaming while i was laughing for a few seconds , after that i went in there and disconected the power lol the jumper was destroyed and he had a nice big red abbarasion bruise on his chest lol
the guy could've been killed

anyway thats the last time i don't secure the thing i am working on, i heard that vibrations can wreck your nerves

Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM
The_Shark

yeah, you have to be really carefull working with a bench grinder, use your arms to push, not your body, and you should let the grinder do the work, no need to push with enough weight to body slam it.

kid in auto shop got his finger jammed in a 60's bench grinder (i called it the wicked green grinder) it went down to the bone, they display the picture right above the grinder with "use vice grips!" under it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

yeah, you have to be really carefull working with a bench grinder, use your arms to push, not your body, and you should let the grinder do the work, no need to push with enough weight to body slam it.

kid in auto shop got his finger jammed in a 60's bench grinder (i called it the wicked green grinder) it went down to the bone, they display the picture right above the grinder with "use vice grips!" under it.
that would've hurt

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Argess

My pet peeve with Dremels are those very thin cutting discs. They can shatter easily and pieces go flying. Always wear eye protection.

The thicker discs with the re-inforcing weave are much stronger, but can't always be used due to their thickness (such as making a slot in a small stipped allen-head screw).

Whenever possible, I mount the part I want to Dremel in a vice and use both hands on the Dremel,, but that's not always possible either.

Oh, I forgot, I've had to do an emergency stop before and silly me, I tried (more than once) to shut it off using that little slide switch that locks the shaft from moving so you can loosen/tighten the chuck. Make a nice noise, but doesn't stop it....LOL.

I'll agree. The thin discs break way too easily. Unfortunately most common eye protection is not enough to stop a piece flying off when it shatters. I had a small piece of cutting wheel break trough my safety glasses and get stuck in my cheek just below my right eye. Some may consider this over kill but I now where safety glasses and a full face shield anytime I'm using cutoff wheels. I'd rather look silly than lose an eye.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is turning into a very interesting thread. But I have to ask: Why were you cutting your upper differential case in half?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quoted for truth...thank you.

ORIGINAL: john01374

Unfortunately most common eye protection is not enough to stop a piece flying off when it shatters. I had a small piece of cutting wheel break trough my safety glasses and get stuck in my cheek just below my right eye. Some may consider this over kill but I now where safety glasses and a full face shield anytime I'm using cutoff wheels. I'd rather look silly than lose an eye.