Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

I have no cold water...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have no cold water...

In my entire apartment! I turn all the faucets to cold, and warm water comes out, no matter how long I run them. I need to change the water in my fish tank, and cant use warm water for that... dammit.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I have no cold water...

file a complaint.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 AM
proanti1

I live in a condo that is owned by a private owner, no one to file a complaint to... it takes weeks to get anything done. The HOA here is really strict about building maintenance, and requires a 2nd opinion by their guy before you start any work... and when its the case of something that may involve the entire building? HA! I guess I'll be slowly filling the tank throughout the day.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

In my entire apartment! I turn all the faucets to cold, and warm water comes out, no matter how long I run them. I need to change the water in my fish tank, and cant use warm water for that... dammit.
sounds like where I work with one of the faucets turn on cold its like 110 degrees no matter how long you run it turn on hot it would scald you after a few seconds of running...

why not fill a bucket up, and let it sit or throw ice cubes in it to cool it down.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:24 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

2 things come to mind that I've experienced:

Someone somewhere may have left a mixer (or non-mixer dual) faucet hooked up with both valves open. Possibly a garden hose and Y adapter hooked yet not used and not turned off.

Hot weather makes the water in many parts of the country very warm. Is this possible in Texas? I noticed in Fla before and even here in Ohio this year. It only lasted a few days here in Ohio.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:28 PM
proanti1

I'm in South Carolina now... it was working great a few days ago, and not it isn't... so it cant be the temperature, it has been over 100 for the past month.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It may depend on where it's coming from. Is it possible it was coming from a ground storage reservoir , but now from a water tower?

When doing residential water heater system design research I needed to know common inlet temps , but the water co. didn't know jack. When I asked what the temps were in various seasons they only responded with "we don't regulate that"

I already knew that , but did wind up finding a nice website that listed some averages. I wish I can find it again. Very interesting problem indeed.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
proanti1

Whatever the problem is, I'm too lazy to deal with it. Its easier just complaining on the internet and hoping the problem resolves itself, like a true American!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many gallons is your fish tank??? does the water need to be changed ASAP, i know it might sound ghetto but maybe you could find some old 5 gallon drums from a work site or something similar clean it very well and fill them up and let them sit so they cool???

I know its not the answer your looking for but if you fish tank need the water changed yesterday, this extremely ghetto solution might help save them!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 PM
sheograth

That's freaky. But yeah definitely a valving error somewhere involving a mixer.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:50 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

how many gallons is your fish tank??? does the water need to be changed ASAP, i know it might sound ghetto but maybe you could find some old 5 gallon drums from a work site or something similar clean it very well and fill them up and let them sit so they cool???

I know its not the answer your looking for but if you fish tank need the water changed yesterday, this extremely ghetto solution might help save them!!!
years ago we where so broke the gas was shut off so to take a bath we used what was left of the grill's propane boiled a pot of water on it and mixed it with cold water in order to bathe without freezing (outside temp was 37-43F)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM
rc awesome

at least you have hot water
Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 AM
The_Shark

years ago during my first and only vaca in florida the condo had warm water as cold water, taking a shower you would put it 1/4 way up on warm, i guess thats efficent for the heating bill
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
hands without shadows

Buy a can of red spray paint and start painting tap handles. Your only solution.

ONLY SOLUTION!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's your water source and how it gets to your taps. With this hot weather it can start at a water tower and go from there. if the lines travel through a lot of places that are hot, that's going to raise the temps also. The lines coming into my house will heat or cool depending on the temps even though they are underground although it may take weeks for any big change.
If any plumbing work has been done recently you could be getting a mix of water from your water heater, not unheard of at all.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

I thought you were a mod Mr. Ron?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I was about 4 years ago. I am again but on another site that's just about dead, no headaches there.