Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Dinner time

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dinner time

Here's the Balsalmic braised Lamb Shanks with canalini beans. Bones just slide out of the meat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14916.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1712770  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Glad to hear you and your family liked the recipe frets. Were you able to get ahold of some decent Italian sausages or did you use minced pork?
Tonight I'm starting tomorrow's dinner of braised lamb shanks in tomato and balsalmic with cannalini beans. It's currently braising in the oven at 170c for 5 hours.

Pics tomorrow
Used an Italian sausage blend from a local deli on that one, though I usally get "Johnsonville" Which is a decent nationally branded Brat and sausage packager.

Thanks for the pics!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 PM
frets24

HA!! Nice one FrostByte. Dinner to go from work, sweet. I'll take mine medium rare please .
Hey Frostbyte,

Go ahead and overcook(as ordered) one for TG...just introduce mine to the grill, flip it, and slap it on the plate....rare will be considered burnt[&:]
Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
tommygun32

Ahhhh...there's only one proper way to cook a slab of flesh...the way YOU/client want it, hehehe.

uhm, frostbyte, how big is that restaurant you're working at? That seems like a massive turn.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 PM
FrostByte25

Ahhhh...there's only one proper way to cook a slab of flesh...the way YOU/client want it, hehehe.

uhm, frostbyte, how big is that restaurant you're working at? That seems like a massive turn.
Its pretty large (3 banquet rooms,wine room,Full bar, large outdoor patio,and the regular dining room.. I'd say it seats around 300-350 (sometimes we have a wait time of 2 hours!) when we are in full swing... We sometimes have "parties" 75-100 people at a time...i.e. all these tickets are for one group...probably 5-6 people per ticket.

Oh yeah it aint too cheap either....lol

And yes you are right tommygun i do cook steaks how i want to and 99% of the time they eat em! The only way to get a "perfect" steak is to cook it yourself...half the time the customer doesnt know what the diffrent temps of steaks are.
And frets24 ...ill just cut the horns and tail off and give it to you..lol...ive had people actually want their steak cooked 10 seconds on each side and thats it....stone cold in the middle

Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 AM
FahrtAutoRC

No clue of the exact recipe, but for my birthday my father baked me a German chocolate cake, taking steps to make it exactly the way his mom did, from an old recipe she brought over here from Germany. I must get this recipe!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 AM
tommygun32

Yes, yes indeed FahrtAutoRC....you must get this recipe...and then share it here with us....[:-]
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Haha I will for sure, but I am keeping her cheesecake a secret! That is one recipe she took to the grave with her save for a few of us, and that is out of 7 children, 18 grand children and over 30 great grand kids! Most of her cooking is done off the top of her head, or from deeply rooted memory. Her youngest son, however, (my father) spent the most time in the kitchen with her out of all of it, and passed much of what he knows down to me. We lost her this past September, she passsed away naturally at 87, but her food lives on!

Yes, yes indeed FahrtAutoRC....you must get this recipe...and then share it here with us....[:-]
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM
tommygun32

I hear ya bro. It bugs me to no end that I didn't write my mom's recipes down. I was that 'older' brother that would hang out in the kitchen with my mom and help. I have a number of them in my head and every now and then I put pen to paper. Unfortunately I lost both my parents suddenly (about 2 years ago, 2 months apart) and there are so many dishes that I remember eating, but have no idea how to make.

I will say that as I personally progress through life (and in the kitchen) I spot dishes/recipes in books, in life, in restaurants, on TV, etc that remind me of my mom's dishes and grab them. Take the time and pick everyone's brain you can for the recipes of the dishes you enjoy.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
FahrtAutoRC

We are putting these issues to rest on our end, everything we make from scratch or play by ear we write the recipes down in a composition notebook, and just amend the recipe for changes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
frets24

True, true! You definitely got me there....
Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 AM
tommygun32

That's good to hear FahrtAutoRC. I've had discussions with people before who firmly believe in never sharing a recipe and taking it to their grave......I find that very sad.[&o] Their reasoning is that they don't want anyone else possibly making money on their recipes, which is pretty rediculous when dealing with just regular joe's who'd only ever cook it at home.

frets, I had the pleasure of meeting/interviewing both Gary Rhodes and Gordon Ramsy here in Dubai. One of the 'flip' questions I liked to ask them was how they felt when a client would ask for A1 or HP sauce with their steak. They both said the same thing. As perfect as they think they've made a meal and how they want the client to experience the dish, the client is the client and if they want A1 steak sauce with their $200 Wagu steak dinner, then they get it. Don't get me wrong, I'd never do that, and they did say it bugged them to no end[:@], but the client is the one paying the bill.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Actually her cheescake has been served for over 5 decades in one of Clevelands "nicer" upscale restruants, she sold it to them, other than that only a few know of it!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM
tommygun32

Last night was Chili Dawgs!!

Name:	Wu61524.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1716434  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
frets24

TG32,
I really enjoy Gordon Ramsy's media personna. Would love to meet him in person when he's not having to hold up the "image" just to see if he really is as intresting and fun to be around as I imagine.

And really, I was just messin' when I said that anything past "beat it over the head and slap it on the plate" may as well be burned I do love a rare bit of beef though. There was a place in Daleville, AL, just outside the Ft. Rucker gates, where the guys would serve me a burger that was really just ground beef pate' on a toasted bun with fixin's. I went there quite often for lunch while stationed at Mother Rucker....of course that was long before folks had to start worrying so much over getting sued.

FahrtAutoRC,
Sorry to hear of your G'ma's passing. Good job keeping the memories fresh through the food.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
tommygun32

frets, no worries bro, I like steak tartar occasionally myself .

Ya, Gordon is actually quite a nice guy once you get to talking to him. He never really let his guard down and he did seem to always be a go go go kind of guy, but he wasn't that high strung freaking out character that he gets portrayed as on TV. It's all an 'image' thing he said.

I went naughty last night (got sick of the fish/salad combo over and over again)[:-]

Baked chicken wings with a dry rub then tossed in melted butter and hot sauce(s) and a couple of baked tater skins, all with a homemade blue cheese dip/sauce. [8D]

Name:	Om32062.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1717843  
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 AM
frets24

frets, no worries bro, I like steak tartar occasionally myself .

Ya, Gordon is actually quite a nice guy once you get to talking to him. He never really let his guard down and he did seem to always be a go go go kind of guy, but he wasn't that high strung freaking out character that he gets portrayed as on TV. It's all an 'image' thing he said.

I went naughty last night (got sick of the fish/salad combo over and over again)[:-]

Baked chicken wings with a dry rub then tossed in melted butter and hot sauce(s) and a couple of baked tater skins, all with a homemade blue cheese dip/sauce. [8D]
Oh Yeah!! Now you're talkin' Lovin' that hearty serving of Jalapenos too!!

I enjoy Ramsy's "over-the-top" personna for it's entertainment value on the various RealityTV type shows and spin-offs but, I get more of a feel for who/what I think is closer to the real guy from a handful of laid back interviews and a couple appearances on "Top Gear". Still groovin on the fact you were able to meet him in person and have real conversation....just too cool![8D] (just don't tell me you got to cook with him; that would be the ultimate!![X(])
Old 01-24-2012, 04:15 AM
tommygun32

No, didn't get to cook with him unfortunately, but I have taken a 'master-class' in his former restaurant here in Dubai (Verre by Gordon Ramsey) with the chef he appointed. Think I posted pics of that before. That chef (Andy) was with Gordon when he did Hell's Kitchen in the States. Oh boy!! The stories Andy has....[:-][&:]

The interview was cool 'cause I had taken along one of his books to get an autograph from him. As we were introduced he spotted it and that broke the ice. First thing he did was take it and thumb through it to see if it had even been used. Then he said something like 'it's good to see one of my books actually being used'. You could tell from the spills and stains. Hahaha. Apparently other interviewers had done this previously, but they brought brand new books for him to sign. He seemed to appreciate that I sort of new what I was talking about and not fronting.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 PM
tommygun32

Going back to my roots with this one....Deutsche styleeeee.

Sausages, sauted potatoes & onions, saur kraut, all served with a dollop of mustard.

Name:	Ec88112.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1719656  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 PM
The_Shark

unhappy that i gained 10 pounds since my last job that was taken from me (thier rich family friend who has a 40K car, a boat a harley at 18 with no expiriance gets dibs over me a highly trained respectful 2year employee) k nuff ragging

anyway, i went on a juicer fast, day one and two was easy, making green and orange juice 3 times a day, then day 3 i began to feel ill, my face started to burn, then at the end of day 4 of the fast i felt faint and actually felt like i was dieing so i had to give up because my family said i was turning white, ate a can of tuna and BAM i was back! lost 10 pounds and kept it off for three weeks counting.

i was happy to eat animal's faces again.

anyhow today was a small swiss cheese stuffed burger on a george forman grill, heaping helping of brocolli and a serving of baked beans, with a cuppachino brewed by mua to wash it down. since the fast i crave better food and ignore the garbage.

im actually trying my hand at stir-fry, its pretty cool, but i need more practice, the hunan chicken wasnt bad.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
tommygun32

Once you get the hang of the flavors with stir fries, they're a blast and easy as anything. I find the trick is to have everything chopped and ready, all lined up waiting their turn to jump in the pool.

Crazy diets scare me. Your body is used to receiving its fuel a certain way and when you shut that off suddenly, the usual reaction of the body is to shut itself off for self preservation. I've always felt that eating things should all be with a balance and in moderation. It's what I've done all my life. OK, I'll post a pic of a massive cheese drenched chicken burrito that I've had for dinner, but I've also had a massive salad for lunch, some fruit and whole grain toast for breakfast, only drink one cup of tea a day, then it's water. Or I'll have some Rivitas, homous and sardines or mackeral, etc. Balance.....oohhmmmmmm...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
tapkoote

The Shark
I had a girl friend back in the 70's who'd go on cleansing diets
sounds like yours.
The doc told her no more than three days.
tap
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
tommygun32

Went for authentic Chinese today for lunch.

My son is on this kick to eat as many 'weird' things he can find.

Here's today's random meal he ordered: Sea Cucumber

I tasted it, it's not revolting and sort of dissapears on your palette. It was served with an Abalone sauce and a small serving of sticky rice.

Name:	Ca81231.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1719844  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM
frets24

Hey TG32,

I am a definite believer in a balanced diet as well....2 potatoes on the opposite side of the plate to offset the 16 oz porterhouse!!!! (extra rare of course)

The Kraut and sausages looked great and has me eyeballing some Brats and the grill and the Sea cuke reference has me pondering a trip to our local all-u-can-eat sushi bar.

Never been one for any fad diets although I have been known to indulge in a nothing but coffee binge for a few days straight an more than one occasion. Can you say "bouncing off the walls"!?[&:] usually coincides with a building push, either in my own 'plane shop or a big construction project in my trade; plumbing.

Looks like an old stand-by here tonight; chicken legs and thighs on the grill with a generous dousing of BBQ sauce and a tossed salad.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 PM
tommygun32

Me grilling tonight as well....actually smoking. 6 baby backs waiting to hit the racks.

Oh man...[:@] don't remind me about coffee binges...[]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.