Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

RC's on Ebay....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC's on Ebay....

Anyone else feel people are asking way too much for Rc's on Ebay lately? I look everyday for deals and a lot of people want almost new prices for them!!! I also hate when someone says no reserve but then the starting bid is $350... how is that not a reserve really? Well that's my rant for the day. [:-]
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 AM
DarkFire989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC's on Ebay....

People have always asked for too much on eBay / mostly everywhere else.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have T-Eggs up on eBay.. ha.. sold one so far.. hopefully some other people will buy..

I just use buy-it-now, though...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Foxy

Yep, 1 in 100 is a bargain that I would even consider bidding on, this is half of why I don't use ebay anymore. Local resources are much better, I can haggle with people, not have PayPratt involved, etc. Ebay is da suck.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Lunchboxer

Sure, I prefer dealing w/ people here at RCU too, but eBay also opens up to a much bigger audience... people from all over would look at your listing, etc. So yeah, it is good and it is bad..
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM
redfisher1974

The problem is people are buying these at those crazy prices!!! Why would people pay new prices for used crap?

I have bid on a lot of RC's this month any only won one that was an OK deal, RC18R RTR with mamba esc, 8000kv motor 4 batteries and a lot of new in pack hopups for $130...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to use eBay a lot but haven't in a couple years. I was mostly a seller, and think I gave some people good deals. The problem is eBay has become insanely anti seller over the years, their policies have made it impossible to sell unless you have an eBay store, in my opinion. PayPal is the same way, I love PayPal but their rules and policies regarding those receiving money is ridiculous nowdays. Basically with eBay and PayPal, a buyer can claim anything or just regret the transaction and they can make ones life hell. The companies always side with buyers no matter what, and I've been forced to give refunds for really dumb things. When there's a dispute of any sort, all the burden of proof is on the seller to defend themselves. eBay has become a site almost exclusively catering towards sellers of new items in eBay stores, it's very hard to sell individually there.

I think that might explain why sellers are asking so much money for stuff. The fees are ridiculous these days, the risk is high, and it takes YEARS to recover from even a single negative review from a seller. I basically had to stop using my account because one seller didn't like a body design he got, and one negative review outclasses hundreds of good ones under the new rules. It used to be a percentage, so people could see some context. Now if you have one disgruntled buyer your eBay experience as a seller is over.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Lunchboxer

Also the fee taken by eBay and PayPal are quite high... [:@]
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 AM
sheograth

The fees are bad but that's not the worst of it. The worst part is that eBay treats non-commercial sellers like dirt now. It's basically become a bunch of corporate stores in one place.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Lunchboxer

Hopefully I sell more stuff here at RCU then.. ha!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I used to use eBay a lot but haven't in a couple years. I was mostly a seller, and think I gave some people good deals. The problem is eBay has become insanely anti seller over the years, their policies have made it impossible to sell unless you have an eBay store, in my opinion. PayPal is the same way, I love PayPal but their rules and policies regarding those receiving money is ridiculous nowdays. Basically with eBay and PayPal, a buyer can claim anything or just regret the transaction and they can make ones life hell. The companies always side with buyers no matter what, and I've been forced to give refunds for really dumb things. When there's a dispute of any sort, all the burden of proof is on the seller to defend themselves. eBay has become a site almost exclusively catering towards sellers of new items in eBay stores, it's very hard to sell individually there.

I think that might explain why sellers are asking so much money for stuff. The fees are ridiculous these days, the risk is high, and it takes YEARS to recover from even a single negative review from a seller. I basically had to stop using my account because one seller didn't like a body design he got, and one negative review outclasses hundreds of good ones under the new rules. It used to be a percentage, so people could see some context. Now if you have one disgruntled buyer your eBay experience as a seller is over.

Its too bad things go this way.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Sounds like if it goes on for just a bit longer, the demand would be significant enough for another auction site to step up and "do it right". Craigslist used to be great too, but lately even that has practically become a commercial market place and great source of spam.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
redfisher1974

I agree that Craigslist is a mess...
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM
sheograth

eBay has no incentive to do it right since it makes the majority of its money from commercial clients. Their business is doing fine, their stock is doing fine, etc.

And while I do agree craigslist is a mess overall, it has no oversight, no legal protections for anyone, and is basically downright shady half the time - I do give them credit for not corporatizing their business to the same degree that other sites have.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Yeh, Craigslist prices are even more absurd.  They aren't paying any fees there and they still want retail prices on junk foam stuff, trainers and old 72 mghtz radio equipment.  Those people are hoping someone comes to the door they can insert a lolly pop stick in the appropriate place and sell them a box of has been stuff for big bucks.  Trouble is there are fools out there a dime a dozen that will pay their price in hopes they can go to the parking lot, fuel her up and enjoy their 1.3 seconds of flying bliss! 
I really want to email them back and laugh at their requests but there's going to be someone out there stupid enough to pay that price. 
How's that go again?  "A fool and his money are soon departed"?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
iexion

Pretty much what Sheo said about being a seller is dead on. Since the layout for feedback has changed so much over the years that now I when I sell something I end up having to add more to the asking price. This way the listing can say "FREE SHIPPING" and i wont get dingged later for having to jack up the shipping cost ( to pay for ebay and paypal's jacked up selling fee's )
'
As for buying, when I look for something I have a general idea how much something should be worth. The pictures are the only thing you have to go buy so if they have a bunch of $#!t worth of pictures... its not worth the time. Most people know this nowadays

Craigslist: only useful if you live in a bigger area. Otherwise you get INSANELY overpriced crap. [link=http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/for/3687215345.html]Case in point[/link]. [link=http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/bar/3702585955.html]And again[/link]
really... $300 for a used mini e-revo??

There is a BIG difference between what something is WORTH and what people are willing to pay
This is why I never put alot of money into any single vehicle anymore. Its just not worth the frustration

#1 thing people NEVER think about when buying a real vehicle or anything else that is a "investment" is two simple little words... any guesses?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM
redfisher1974

#1 thing people NEVER think about when buying a real vehicle or anything else that is a "investment" is two simple little words... any guesses?
I should know this but Im stumped...
Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

#1 thing people NEVER think about when buying a real vehicle or anything else that is a ''investment'' is two simple little words... any guesses?

Resale Value

From going to a used car lot or visiting the LHS.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
harlanb
My Feedback: (1)

I see a lot of RC items on ebay that start out at a decent price, but there are a lot of fools out there that are willing to pay more for the item then it costs new.
Less than a year ago, I saw an Sig AquaStar kit for sale on Ebay. I was looking for a float plane kit, so I started bidding on it. In a very short time the kit was up to $70.00. Since Sig was selling it for about $35.00, I just orderd it from Sig. Blow's me away that people would pay twice the price of a new item for a used item in unkown condition.
I have seen a few good deals on Craigslist, but I also see a lot of RC stuff overpriced.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I find pretty good deals on ebay. I won an instrument for 523 dollars, and the next one on ebay sold for 800 dollars! What a steal!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM
sheograth

Yeah resale value is something determined by the buyer, not the seller. I deal with this a lot since I build some high end RC cars, boats, and planes. I have to suck it up and realize I won't get $3500 for that 60cc all metal Baja with no HPI parts left on it

The market for a $300 RC is a lot bigger than the market for a $6000 twin inline RC boat or something.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: iexion

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

#1 thing people NEVER think about when buying a real vehicle or anything else that is a ''investment'' is two simple little words... any guesses?

Resale Value

From going to a used car lot or visiting the LHS.
I understand, I had bought a brand new car 5 months ago which was written off in a head on crash. I did get every penny I paid for it thank god but this time around I will buy a 4 year old car and save thousands.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

There is a ProJet F4 on eBay for $750.  The exact same one Nitroplanes has for $250!  They even copied the description from Nitroplanes.  I think, however, it has been up there for several years - he's got so much junk there he might have even forgot about it.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Then, again, there are several Wing MFG A-26 short kits that are half the price of the one being sold here on rcuniverse.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 AM
sheograth

That's another thing, ebay is full of knock offs of knock offs. All sold by their beloved "store" users of course, go figure. [&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.