Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Is it just me, or...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:00 AM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it just me, or...

Don't you think that the "R/c Boca" advertisements here on RCU are a little revealing? I have nothing wrong with that, but aren't there a lot of little kids on this site?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it just me, or...

I have seen there ads, I don't think they are too bad, no nudity but a lot of skin.

Either way, when a company has to resort to tacky ads to get your attention, it's generally something that puts me off on them, makes me think they are some hole in the wall operation that is begging for attention.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:28 PM
losiracer753
My Feedback: (1)

yea those adds are always on when im in this site. but i dont see them any where else.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 PM
mouser

ORIGINAL: jakjr

I have seen there ads, I don't think they are too bad, no nudity but a lot of skin.

Either way, when a company has to resort to tacky ads to get your attention, it's generally something that puts me off on them, makes me think they are some hole in the wall operation that is begging for attention.
No nudity, but do you think it's appropriate for a 10 or under year old to see basically down a woman's shirt? And if they come on this site with their parents, don't you think their parents might get a little upset?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:47 PM
R/C fan-addict

companies that have to resort to nudity to get attention and sell their products I find insulting. they make it seem like R/C hobbist are people who just drool over women. I just skip those pages in magazines, but I'm sure my parents aren't thrilled! STUPID COMPANIES STOP PUTTING NEAR NAKED WOMEN IN YOUR ADS!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

mouser...it's nothin they won't see in normal day to day life, especially in the summer in the south.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Wide Open

i dont think its a very good technique to sell r/c products either.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I'm not saying I'd buy something based on those advertisements, either. I honestly don't really care if they have 'em or not.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I might have to bring this up to the site Admin's. I've noticed some other ads that have wording that I don't think is appropriate for a family orientated web site.
I've bought some issues of RCCA and have had to read the fine print to see what Acer Racing was selling. They have full-page ads with scantily clad young women and don't show their product.
I'm no prude by a long shot but some things I don't feel are right for some advertising in magazines or web sites for that matter where children are involved.
As jakjr knows, we have to discuss whether certain avatars are okay or not for this site as well as other pictures.
I'll have to find the ad as I haven't seen it because the ads don't run in the forums that I usually cover.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:27 AM
michelob78

Anyone get the new XRC? It is more like a maxim, or fhm mag then RC.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

AHhhhh come on people...this is the problem for kids...Kids go to school, watch TV, hang around with their firends...they are out ther ein REAL LIFE...and trust me they see and hear things that you never even thougt exicted...and if some kids dont seen or heard...eventually they will. So i think its pointless, because after all everyone on thos emagazines cares for the size of their pockets.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Midget

i dont get any of those adds thingys now with firefox[&:]
Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Ron Olson

I looked up the ads after posting here, they show a little cleavage but aren't bad. You can see a lot more at a Hooters or the beach. It does worry me about the quality of a product when they have to report to using using a nicer word because I can't use the other in here, cheesecake. I'd rather see some ugly person that actually uses the products than some model that probably doesn't have a clue as to what she's posing for.
If you go to a site like www.cmdracing.com , most of the young ladies posing with Andy's products are actual employees of his that answer the phones or fill your orders.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Wide Open

i just think that if theyre going to advertise an r/c product, THAN SHOW A PICTURE OF THE PRODUCT!! just because they have some model for the picture is a totally inafective way to advertise say, a revo, in my opinion.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:33 AM
mouser

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I looked up the ads after posting here, they show a little cleavage but aren't bad. You can see a lot more at a Hooters or the beach. It does worry me about the quality of a product when they have to report to using using a nicer word because I can't use the other in here, cheesecake. I'd rather see some ugly person that actually uses the products than some model that probably doesn't have a clue as to what she's posing for.
If you go to a site like www.cmdracing.com , most of the young ladies posing with Andy's products are actual employees of his that answer the phones or fill your orders.
Yeah, uh, what family wih like a 10 year old is going to go to Hooters? The beach wouldn't be bad because that is natural, and the parents would understand that, but an advertisement for R/c cars that focuses on women's breasts isn't.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Wide Open

well this is a very debatable topic. and i agree with ron, this is a topic that should be brought up to the administrators and see what they say about it.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Doahh

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I might have to bring this up to the site Admin's. I've noticed some other ads that have wording that I don't think is appropriate for a family orientated web site.
I've bought some issues of RCCA and have had to read the fine print to see what Acer Racing was selling. They have full-page ads with scantily clad young women and don't show their product.
I'm no prude by a long shot but some things I don't feel are right for some advertising in magazines or web sites for that matter where children are involved.
As jakjr knows, we have to discuss whether certain avatars are okay or not for this site as well as other pictures.
I'll have to find the ad as I haven't seen it because the ads don't run in the forums that I usually cover.
I was about to bring up acer racing in RCCA. I tape a peice of blank white paper over those pages so if my 7 year old brother wants to look through RCCA he can without having pictures of mostly naked women
I'll bring this up to the admins right now
Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Yeah, uh, what family wih like a 10 year old is going to go to Hooters? The beach wouldn't be bad because that is natural, and the parents would understand that, but an advertisement for R/c cars that focuses on women's breasts isn't.
Many families do, in fact I remember seeing TV commercials showing an average family with a small child eating there. IMHO seeing the scantily clad workers is no worse than seeing all the alcohol consumption that takes place at any Bar/Grill style restaurants with normally dressed waitresses (Applebee's for example). Which in the long run is "really" worse, a 10y/o seeing the top of some womens breasts, or seeing getting drunk being condoned?

Personally, I don't care if the ads go or stay. I know the wives of a lot of the members wouldn't like the idea of them which may be enough to get the members to stop coming here, but on the other hand I don't think they are going to corrupt any children.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Ron Olson

Doahh, we brought it up to the Admin's at almost the same time. If you see my thread, you'll see that some of the wording in some ads I don't feel is appropriate for this site. The latest one that I've noticed is for a plane called a "Stiffy".
Come on, we have to watch what the members of this site say or use in signatures, avatars, etc., so what ads are placed on this site should also use more discretion. Some of the other ads have had sexual connotations to them also or double-entendre's.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Kemo

Its the only way they can sell their parts. You could have a naked girl sitting infront of the tv (commercial i mean) for about 27 seconds. And for the last 3 seconds, it could be a tyco r/c logo with a pic of their cars. Tyco wouldn't be able to keep up with the sales... its just how sales work, and its ridiculous.

Try advertising with a guy in a speedo, see how many rc parts you sell. I highly doubt the admin here would allow that anyways, but he allows other ads? check and mate.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Ron Olson

We have a lakeside drive-in restaurant in the neighboring city right on the way to a LHS. The car-hops wear "Daisy Dukes" type of shorts or Hot pants to us older people and tank tops during the hot weather. Me, I go there for the food and could care less about the scenery. I love their olive burger de luxe, there isn't another place in town that can make them like they do. My wife doesn't complain about that place but won't let us go to the local Hooters!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:40 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

RCU has used prime time broadcast television as a benchmark for some time. If it is something that you find on prime time broadcast television it is usually allowed on RCU. There is no way to set a limit on what is allowed that will make everyone happy.

Is there anything in any of these ads that is not allowed on prime time broadcast television?

If you find the ads offensive you might want to share your feelings with the company.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Diesel_Fuel_Only

Yeah, I think it may be pushing it a little... I'm kinda dissapointed for RCU to have those ads on here... I mean you really can see down her shirt, and those shots could almost qualify as underwear... LOL. I sure don't mind it... but I have a feeling a little kid who comes on here to show his mom a cool RC car would probably be told to stay away from this site. Have you ever actually clicked the link? Last time there was like a huge picture of that woman on the front page. If anything, its making me stay away from their products, and not buy them.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:20 PM
mouser

What I'm trying to say is that parents wont want their kids looking at stuff like that on the internet. If I was with my mom and I was at the beach, and I was 10, and I saw a woman in a bikini, or something revealing, my mom would probably just not want me to stare. But, if I was 10, and she walked in on me looking at that on a computer, she'd probably get a little angry.

And depfife, remember, a lot of little kids aren't aloud to watch some shows that are even somewhat inappropriate even if they are on during the day.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:46 AM
R/C fan-addict

yeah like CSI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.