Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Rocket boats any one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:48 PM
phickey06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket boats any one?

Any one out there run a rocket powered boat? You know with one of those hobby rocket engines. I know something like that may not conform to the NAR standards and it probibly wouldn't be rc but it would be a model boat.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Rocket boats any one?

I got into model rockets for a little while to see if it had any merit. The little rockets would have a tough time getting a boat up on plane. It would likely blow the boat under water. The duration for the rocket is so short and it you went for a longer burn it would be accorss the pond or under the pond depending on what happened in the first second or two. The only way I could see it working was to make a boat in balsa and starting the boat on the shore - aiming it toward the water. A rocket is more a controlled explosion than a powerplant. Once she is going it is not going to stop !!!

I never opted for the tests - I just stuck with Gas motors.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 PM
phickey06

Patience justaddawatta.Thats what it takes to dial something in that accellerates from 0 to over 100 mph in less than 1 sec.Your conjecture as to the difficulties are not without merit.The RX1 my first rocket boat and maybe the smallest operational hydroplane in the world. Succesfully run in 1985 on the south river. Went about 30' skipping wildly about 3 runs. Powered by bottle rocket engines with warhead deactivated. Now retired.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42237.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	403941   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43767.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	403942  
Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Patience ?? [sm=bananahead.gif]

Preaching to the choir there I think !!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:43 PM
phickey06

Didn't mean to get preachey. Just want to see if anyone else was crazy enough to stick a rocket up a hydro's--- and light the fuse.My second rocket boat did alot like you suggested it might. It took about 7 engines worth of tuning to get it to go further than about 3'.It was a testors 1/25 76 miss budweiser model stripped hull 12 guage shotshell hull for 18mm engine holder[very durable light and waterproof] with B4-4 engines max I think. I finally got it to run quite a long distance from a standing start . Launched down a long creek straight from a sand bar at the straights end , floating launch. Measuring time and distance of run I remember it ran an average of just over 100mph . Maybe something less than 100' distance. One run it vered off course and hit a large rock at about 60' and split every seem in the hull and destroyed the left sponson.Once rebuilt it ran straight and true for about 3 more runs and retired.I designed some hulls more suited to rocket power but never ran them. Thats my sermon[saga]. The question stands.Any one else tried this?[8D]
Old 02-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Justin L

For a project in physics in high school, we had to make a boat move 20 feet with out gas or electric power, i strapped 2 C series motors onto a peice of styrofoam sanded into a boatshape with a plexi-glass keel. shot it off in the pool, made it the first 20 feet, then the 2nd stage hit right about when the hull hit the first lane marker needles to say, the boat easily made the 20ft mark (even in the air) ill try to get some pictures this weekend
Old 02-08-2006, 10:35 AM
biteme
Banned

My brother made one for a class... It won the race accross the pool, unfortunately, it self destructed on the opposet side.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
phickey06

Heres pics of my second and mostly successfull rocket boat. Yea dogmoat self destruction seems to be a real hazard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54807.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	404398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14404.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	404399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78597.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	404400  
Old 02-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Will Sgarlat

Phickey! Those boats are so cool! The second one is really good looking, too. I wonder what would happen if a short burn C size rocket engine was ignited while the small R/C boat was already on plane? I wonder if the glow engine would over-rev if the throttle was kept wide open? Hmmm!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:38 PM
a j o e l v a r d y

Just thinking but you have got to have a big place to run them and be retrevable

me persanaly would go for having electric in it to bring it back but if it was me i would have a turbine engen
they will last longer go the same speed and be controleble mmm thinking

my mum has just seen me writing this and said !! NO !!

what dose she know might try that
Old 02-17-2006, 08:31 PM
CadillacDTS2001

haha i dont get u some time lol ^^^^^^^
ya but i like the rocket boats cuz its small and it goes like 1000mph for its size lol