Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

What does 10w30 represent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:41 PM
engine geek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does 10w30 represent?

I have heard some stories on engine oil and I'm just looking for an explanation on the 2 different numbers in the oil.

I am talking about full scale, 1:1!

Thanks, the geek
Old 03-12-2006, 01:53 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What does 10w30 represent?

First, a lower number indicates thinner oil. A larger number indicates thicker oil. A lower weight oil will flow easier.

Multi-weight oils allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. Oil with a weight rating of 5w30 is commonly seen for use in many vehicles. The number 5 indicates the weight of the oil at colder temperatures. The number 30 indicates the weight of the oil when the engine is warmed up.
The first number is the cold temperature rating and the second number is the operaing temperature rating.

Having thinner oil at colder temperatures helps the engine turn over easier when started as there is less friction. This is great for winter applications as the battery also loses its punch in colder temperatures.

Ryan
Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 PM
engine geek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What does 10w30 represent?

Thanks