Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more
Reload this Page >

How much more is flying RC planes as opposed to off/onroad vehicles?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

How much more is flying RC planes as opposed to off/onroad vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
psychorevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much more is flying RC planes as opposed to off/onroad vehicles?

I was at the plane field today and am playing with a plane simulator.

I was at the hobby store and I was talking to a guy about how much we're spending on our nitro cars.

He said people that fly helis really spend a lot of money.

My question: How much more money is it to fly planes or helis?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
gunnut

Default RE: How much more is flying RC planes as opposed to off/onroad vehicles?

Depends on what you want to fly. I mess with entry level electric trainer planes and it's not too expensive at all. If you're looking at bigger nitro stuff (planes or helis) obviously it will cost a lot more. I'd say helis look more expensive!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Wide Open

Default RE: How much more is flying RC planes as opposed to off/onroad vehicles?

ive been flying planes for about 3 years or so, and i must say that it really depends. our largest aircraft has probably close to 700 or 800 dollars invested in it, but it varies. i good trainer can run in the 300 to 400 dollar range (im talking in terms of .40 size) and then the expense afterward is pretty much fuel... as long as you dont crash, but thats the point of an instructor! also if you want to see some of mine just go to my gallery.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:43 PM
-Inverted-

Depends on the model. Im a heli guy (dont have one but getting one soon), The miniature aircraft X-Cell goes for $2000+ Although I would say it's worth it.....
Old 03-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then there are jets.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:25 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

One of the guys at the flying field has a few jets. He has as far as I know, a BVM King Cat and a BVM Bandit, both of which cost in excess of $25,000 each.

In reality, planes aren't much more than cars assuming you have some all aluminum Savage or something. A good .40 size glow trainer w/ all the field gear runs about $400. Then, you get into the .60 size sport planes which are more, then you invest in a JR 9303 radio or Futaba 9CHP w/ CamPAC, then you get into giant scale (A DA-100 100cc twin engine costs $1,500 alone, not including your ignition module and battery, and most giant scales use 2-4 high torque metal gear digital servos [Hitec 5645s or something equivilant] each for the ailerons, elevator, and rudder). Then, there are helis. Those Caliber 30s take $1,500+ to get in the air.

If you are like me, then all you fly is .40 and .60 size sport/3D planes. This makes them easy to store (less than a 7 foot wing span), they cost less to operate, and cost less to buy (after you get a good computer radio [I use a Futaba 7CAP], then all you need is a flight pack, plane, and engine.)
Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 AM
-Inverted-

theres a heli I would love to have, I forgot who makes it but I believe its turbine powered. It sure is a nice helicopter though. The thing I like about heli's is there isn't as many things you can upgrade. I tend to splurge and upgrade everything on my cars....Just cant leave well enough alone...so I dont spend as much upgrading everything I can on a heli!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's all relative. you can go to Wally World and buy a cheapo R/C car or spend the big bucks. Planes are the same way. You can get a Hobby Zone backyard flyer for $50.00 and up. The most expensive plane that I've actually seen probably cost in the neighborhood of (yes!) $25,000.00!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 PM
psychorevo

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

It's all relative. you can go to Wally World and buy a cheapo R/C car or spend the big bucks. Planes are the same way. You can get a Hobby Zone backyard flyer for $50.00 and up. The most expensive plane that I've actually seen probably cost in the neighborhood of (yes!) $25,000.00!
HOLY MOLY!!!!!!

I just drooled all over my keyboard.

25k??

IMPOSSIBLE? Holy SHNIKES!!!!!

I'm guessing that's not out the door complete with everything and that doesn't include maintenance and broken parts.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:54 PM
-Inverted-

That's why I like heli's/planes, you don't really brake parts unless you crash, and if your a good flyer thet VERY RARELY happens.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
psychorevo

ORIGINAL: cadillac_kid28

That's why I like heli's/planes, you don't really brake parts unless you crash, and if your a good flyer thet VERY RARELY happens.
Really?

A so-called excellent flyer at the hobby store (75 yrs. old) told me that everyone crashes. It's just a matter of when.

I guess some people are like Iceman from Top Gun.

"Cougar, he was a good man." -Iceman

"Still is a good man." -Maverick

"Yea, that's what I meant." -Iceman

"Thought so." -Maverick
Old 03-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, it's all a matter of how deep your povkets are, mine are on the shallow side.
It was a scale model of an SST a good 12 feet long with 4 jet engines, a working drop nose and full lighting plus landing gear. The trailer that it sat on was cool too. They could set it up for different angles and had polished aluminum go cart wheels. Sorry, no shots of it.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
-Inverted-

A so-called excellent flyer at the hobby store (75 yrs. old) told me that everyone crashes. It's just a matter of when.
Well everyone crashes, it just doesn't generally happen as often as your car. You car takes abuse and is easy to hit obstructions, planes are usually flown in an open field.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 PM
gunnut

Well everyone crashes, it just doesn't generally happen as often as your car. You car takes abuse and is easy to hit obstructions, planes are usually flown in an open field.
haha I crash my planes all the time. Just little backyard flyers... Nothing a little glue and tape can't fix. Unless it gets stuck in a tree and sits in the rain for a week [&o]. I'm getting better at flying now, but crashes WILL happen. You're right about crashing cars more though. My stampede spends more time crashing than anything else.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: gunnut

haha I crash my planes all the time. Just little backyard flyers... Nothing a little glue and tape can't fix. Unless it gets stuck in a tree and sits in the rain for a week [&o]. I'm getting better at flying now, but crashes WILL happen. You're right about crashing cars more though. My stampede spends more time crashing than anything else.
just wait until your fastest airplane does 150 mph and weighs 12 pounds, than you will have a good reason not to crash! (if you want to see that airplane i just described, than go to my gallery, its called a "snoop")
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 AM
gerwen

Folks take a little less care driving cars than they do flying planes because the price of a mistake is a lot lower. You can make lots of mistakes with a car and never break a thing. A crash with a car is a busted part or two, a crash with a plane can end its flying days for good. The size of the mistake flying planes doesn't correspond to the damage it causes either. A small mistake can be a total loss of a plane.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:41 AM
gubbs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I spent a lot less flying than I do racing cars. I never really totalled a plane though, that is what gets expensive. With the few minor dings and botched landings, most are a very easy fix and can cost nothing most of the time. Anytime we land guys break something it's a $10-$15 part. Think of it this way, with either land or air, you can spend as little or as much as you want on either.

For actual prices you could get a 40 size "stick" or trainer style plane with radio, engine, and field gear for $400. Most RTR 1/10 vehicles aren't any less with the required running gear. For minimum prices it's pretty much the same. When I was flying I had three flyable planes on the same budget as my 1/10 gas truck.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:24 PM
gunnut

ORIGINAL: Wide Open

ORIGINAL: gunnut

just wait until your fastest airplane does 150 mph and weighs 12 pounds, than you will have a good reason not to crash! (if you want to see that airplane i just described, than go to my gallery, its called a "snoop")
Nice plane[sm=thumbup.gif] You're definitely right! I do plan on stepping up to bigger stuff eventually, I'm trying to find a flying field and get set up there (I have a nexstar that I've never flown). Right now I fly in some terrain that is probably less than desirable: very hilly and typically very windy. So I'm building my skills with some cheap slow planes.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Wide Open

definatly go out and find yourself a field. youll meet a lot of nice people to help you there and youll make lots of friends, i know i did. and if you get good enough you can start training people like ive done, although the only problem is that most people dont seem to want a 15 year old flying their airplanes. that is so unfair!