Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Cane Sugar
90.48%
Corn Syrup
9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Sodas: Sugar or Corn syrup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sodas: Sugar or Corn syrup?

After tasting a Coke that came from Mexico, the taste was night and day from Coke made in the US. (Too bad it was a one time deal, I wish I live in a border state with Mexico, they must have CRATES of Coke made in Mexico.)

The reason? Mexican Coke uses CANE SUGAR! Not the sugar substitute corn syrup. I hate that soda companies went to corn syrup, the taste of sodas has never been the same ever again. But tasting the Coke form Mexico bought back the wonderful taste of what sodas used to be when I was a very small child (oh, the memories).

I guess soda companies switched to corn syrup since it was cheaper at the time than sugar, but with corn going up in price, especially since it is now required in the US to be used for ethanol to be used in gasolines at the pump, sugar is starting to become cost effective again.

I say PUT SUGAR BACK and dump the chump CORN SYRUP! What do you guys say?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
HJJFFFAA

Default RE: Sodas: Sugar or Corn syrup?

I too remember the way soda used to taste when they used sugar, I miss it. Soda just isn't the same without good ol' sugar.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:09 AM
The Hedgehog

I wish we would get off our kick of corn products.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

I love the sodas from Mexico I go down there every year. I LOVE the bottles they serve it in to. The classic glass bottles with a carne asada taco yummy!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cane sugar is SOOO much better for you, and it tastes 10X better too.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Anomie

Perhaps the corn syrup is dramatically cheaper. Hmm.

I see the Coke from Mexico on my store shelves all over town.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Anomie

Perhaps the corn syrup is dramatically cheaper. Hmm.

I see the Coke from Mexico on my store shelves all over town.
Give it a try, You will NOT be dieappointed, it tastes SOOOOOOO good.

If it says "Hecho en Mexico," it is the real deal, not the fake-**** US corn syrup Coke.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Anomie

It is universally believed that the flavor of the Mexican Coke is also attained through the use of filtered water rather than purified water. That is a common theme within soft drinks produced down there.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corn syrup is cheaper than cane sugar, which helps to explain its prevalence. Also, it's a myth that corn syrup is worse for you - it contains the same amount of calories per unit sweetness and metabolizes exactly the same way.

This thread reminds me of a Coke bar in Las Vegas I've been to, there you can sample Cokes from all over the world. Quite fun to see how they all compare.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Well, I hope corn prices go through the roof! I want my original cane sugar cokes back! ***crys like a little child
Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The only caramel-colored drink from Mexico that I'll drink is the one with the little worm in the bottle

Sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, they'll both rot your teeth, but I agree, the flavor of sucrose is better than fructose, and there IS a difference in flavor, if not the caloric content.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Corn syrup is cheaper than cane sugar, which helps to explain its prevalence. Also, it's a myth that corn syrup is worse for you - it contains the same amount of calories per unit sweetness and metabolizes exactly the same way.

This thread reminds me of a Coke bar in Las Vegas I've been to, there you can sample Cokes from all over the world. Quite fun to see how they all compare.
I remember teh myth that circulated about corn syrup. It was the people's fruitless cry to try to coerce the soda companies to revert back to cane sugar.

Another myth that was going arouund at the time too was when Coca Cola made "New Coke" that was purposefully made to taste so bad that when people demanded that "Original Coke" be brought back, people would not taste the difference form cane sugar from corn syrup. If ALL the soda companies did the same ploy, the conspiracy might have been sucessfully pulled off. But from what I think happed was Pepsi was late in employing their own tactic (at least I think) that the Coke plot didnt fool anyone.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 PM
feo

How do you know if your coke came from Mexico? Do I have to look for "Made in Mexico" on the packaging?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 PM
HJJFFFAA

It says that in spanish. Should read "Hecho en Mexico"
Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
The_Shark

high fructos corn surup is worse for you, it is transfered to the blood stream faster than sugar, this leaves the body with less time to react, thus it spikes the blood sugar faster and it gives you a major crash because the metabilism cant catch up.

ever notice why energy drinks almost never have corn syrup? its because it actually makes you tired.

HFCS why? why?

i just got some mexican cane sugar for my coffee and tea, it tastes much better than that bleached stuff.
mexicans do know how to make a good drink, well... maybe not the tap water... (is it still like that?)
Old 11-23-2008, 12:22 PM
06sportster
My Feedback: (7)

I live in Houston, and every once in a while I get a Mexican Coke. I never see what the big deal about them are. They cost $1-2 a can and only taste a little bit sweeter. I actual prefer the US stuff. Plus Pepsi is better!

When did they change the US pops? I guess I am to young to know.

Did I already say Pepsi is better? lol
Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Pepsi, I believe does not have an equivalent that includes real cane sugar in it. At least not since the cane sugar to corn syrup conspiracy/travesty. As a small child, I remember Pepsiused to taste good also, until that corn syrup crap got into our sodas.

I cannot rememeber when the soda companies did the dastardly deed of replacing cane sugar with corn syrup, I was very young. Maybe in the 90's?

If someone knows teh exact time, please post.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

high fructos corn surup is worse for you, it is transfered to the blood stream faster than sugar, this leaves the body with less time to react, thus it spikes the blood sugar faster and it gives you a major crash because the metabilism cant catch up.

ever notice why energy drinks almost never have corn syrup? its because it actually makes you tired.

HFCS why? why?

i just got some mexican cane sugar for my coffee and tea, it tastes much better than that bleached stuff.
mexicans do know how to make a good drink, well... maybe not the tap water... (is it still like that?)
Yes Yes Yes if you go down to mexico never drink the water you will be sick for weeks! My friend drank some not knowing and was sick as a dog for a week and a half.... I think that any soda nowadays taste like garbage and is very hard on the teeth.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:03 AM
calvino

ill never forget the last time i was in mexico they strictly said DONT DRINK THE WATER! so we brang lots of US bottled water down, IMO sugar rules, corn is cheaper hence its used everywhere [:'(]
Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
RCtruckRacer

When I lived in AZ, I used to go to Mexico several times a year. I drank the water often - in some places. Restaurants and large businesses almost always have clean water. Ice machines on the other hand can be bad, especially the ones in hotels. They are usually awfully dirty. Que veneno! You can drink the water, but don't eat the ice!

I'm pro cane sugar, get rid of the corn syrup!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

[Here here! If I had some shot glasses and a case of Mexican Cane Sugar Cokes, I would pour some for everyone and raise a toast to CANE SUGAR!

I actively went around to all the grocerey stores in my area, but unfortunately, I could not find any Mexican Cokes. I asked teh stocker if they could get some, he said they usually dont have them, but he did said that they had Dublin Dr Peppers!!!!!! I was elated! I found a soda that uses real cane sugar in it! Though I cannot drink Coke to taste it in its original glory, I at least can drink Dublin DrPepper for its original sweet and wonderful taste!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 PM
HJJFFFAA

Dr. Pepper? I love Dr. Pepper even with the corn syrup, it must be just excellent with real sugar.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Cam_132

you can get sugar cane soda here in Canada or the states... look in the Foren foods section...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM
The_Shark

yeah american chocolate sucks now. swiss/german or UK chocolate is by far better.

over at mijers they had the most wonderfull candy bar made in Australia it was called Violet Crumble (wiered name) but it was a crumbly honey flavored sweet wafer (like merang) covered in a thin layer of smooth rich chocolate. i loved it and deemed it my all time favorite candy, untill, they pulled it off the shelves! WHY?????

my question, how come mexican soda doesnt make you sick? is it distillated water?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Dr. Pepper? I love Dr. Pepper even with the corn syrup, it must be just excellent with real sugar.
Oh yes! teh Dublin Dr Pepper is simply the best Dr Pepper out today. So good is teh taste taht I have forever been ruined to teh taste of corn syrup Dr Pepper. Eevrytime I drink a corn syrup Dr Pepper, I cannot help but think that teh Dublin Dr Pepper is easily 10x superior to my taste buds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.