Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Wolfhart Kugel Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolfhart Kugel Engine

I ran into this rather intersting spherical engine design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CmGJ...eature=related

I wonder if there is such a working engine like this anywhere in the world?

My criticisms: The ceramic balls and the tracks they must follow must bear tremendous amounts of forces, especially during the power duration of the rotation.

Benefits: In essence, you get two combustions in one rotation, both combustions occurring simultaneously. In a Wankel rotary, you get 3 combustions, each combustion occurring in a timing that is phased by 90degrees from each other. The Wankel rotary has the benefit of not having to bear the comustion forces simultaneaously, where thus Wlofhart engine must bear both of its combustions in one massive shot.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
MadManAndrew

Default RE: Wolfhart Kugel Engine

Wow. I onder what car they're putting it in...I'd like to see an actual running model.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

I'd like to see an actual running model.
Oh, [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQqM3swDd0&feature=related]I feel stupid now[/link]...
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
FairTax4me

Very simple design, but unfortunately I see some drawbacks right off the bat. First will be maintaining compression, unless it works like a 2 stroke engine, which we all know are very environmentally un-friendly, and very wasteful.

I only see one combustion. The bottom of the "stroke" is the intake stroke, air and fuel is drawn in through the vents on the sides as the side chambers open, it is then pushed back out of those two side chambers through a set of ports and into the combustion chamber, it takes the air/fuel mixture from both sides and forces them both into the one chamber. As the ball rotates around the air/fuel mixture is compressed even further, and is then ignited at the top by a pair of spark plugs. The other side of the rotation is the power stroke in essence, as the ignited mixture burns and forces the chamber back open.

Madman, that's not quite the same design. Close but no ceegar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjVaixYy08&NR=1
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Looks cool.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

He broke it!!!!! LOL

I didnt even know there was a working engine. Very intersting vid of the parts inside and all.