Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Post *YOUR* car's 1/4 mile times

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
nitrohog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Post your car's 1/4 mile times

I'm guessing high 15's in the 300M. 3.5L V6, 255 HP, 3.55 gears, 3800 LBS.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
The Hedgehog

Do those gears come stock?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

wow you really have to be immature to keep bringing that up. and i know for a fact that my truck will out run an avalanche. and i read a reveiw about the 4 door chevy that said 0-60 times. your obviously just jealous of my truck cause im only 16 and have a fast truck. 5000 is the 4 door weight not the two door. and im tired of you.
Stampede Killer, if your cold air intake REALLY adds 5 hp, ThunderbirdJunkie's adds 30. Factor in the big fat sticky drag slicks, well-broken-in engine (127,000 miles means less parasitic drag inside the engine), the squeaky belt tensioner, wheel lightening (no, the paint is not flaking off, they've been professionally lightened!) and stock 3.73 gears and this baby runs 4s*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, only weighs 4500 lb. This sucker will SMOKE YOU with its 150 whp all motor! Then when ThunderbirdJunkie gets into his 200/400 two stage...oooweeee watch out!

*in the 60'
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 AM
J.D.T

SK-I guess if I was in Arizona where you could drag race year round I would just go to the track, a silverado ss with better gears and much more horsepower has trouble running a 15 flat with a couple bolt ons, just a couple weeks (3-16-09) ago in the what do you have under your hood thread you mentioned a throttle body spacer and engine tune, no mention of headers or duals, I would think a kid like you would have put up pics of his new headers, at least changed his gallary to reflect a picture with the duals. Chevy guys like this always made me switch from the 100 shot and drag radials to straight up wrinkle walls and the 250 shot, winning by 20 cars just to talk smack, of course it makes cash racing harder to come by but I am FLYING the ford banner, I will smoke em all night long for free
If you want to be a man go bracket racing, where you got to watch some punk in his 4 door honda leave and get over half way down the track before your tree drops, its all about the driver then. A 16.5 second mustang four banger no turbo won the bracket portion of the corvette vs mustang shootout two years ago at the local dragway as he was within .120 on all 14 runs!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 AM
The Hedgehog

Lunchboxer is actually an excellent bracket racer
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Krazy Chicken

like i said before, im done with the stupid argue ment about my truck, but i willl through a new vehicle in, its an 05 jeep wrangler 4.56 gears 4.0 inline 6 headers, ram air intake(snorkel) custom exhaust, 36x13.5 tires, probably runs mid 20's
Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan
Please post the cars that you own yourself
Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL.. must be beginner's luck.. LOL!

For bracket racing, it comes down to consistency and reaction time.. so if you drive a stock car, does not have big power, w/ auto tranny, you basically have the consistency part of the equation nailed. Then you just work on your reaction time, to time to tree..

Lunchboxer is actually an excellent bracket racer
Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Foxy

custom tune
air intake
throttle body spacer
true dual exhaust
headers
thats it.
custom tune +- 5 HP
air intake +0.5 Hp
throttle body spacer +1
true dual exhaust -2 HP
headers 0 HP
thats it.

Pretty much bone stock
ok really why would true dual exhaust give less power, better flow = more power if you knew anything

throttle body gives 5 headers were dynoed tuned for 20+ torque, air intake was dyno tuned for 5hp
He's right though. Honestly. Exhausts are the biggest load of rubbish in aftermarket. Only the very very best give any horsepower, and you wouldn't buy one of those unless you are racing, for two reasons, cost and noise. Off the shelf exhausts LOSE hp, 90% of the time. There are only a few exhausts which are PROVEN to add power to the S2000 (I'm only taking my car as an example, because it has a very active aftermarket, with a wide range of high quality products from some of the best tuners (ASM/Mugen/APR/Js Racing/Toda, etc, etc). Apart from the Invidia range, and the Mugen OEM, almost all others, including the famous HKS, which is marketed to add 15hp, made no gains whatsoever. It's all marketing.

I'm going to put the Skunk2 exhaust on mine, mainly because I can get it locally for a reasonable price, and I like the sound. I'm not going to fool myself that it's gonna add any HP though, even though I'll be increasing diameter and reducing restrictions dramatically. I know I'm buying it for look and sound, nothing else. Hell, maybe if I combine it with a header, a decent CAI, and a retune, it may end up giving me .5hp? Maybe not. Bolt-ons will never give you significant power increases...

In S2000 circles, whenever someone asks 'How can I upgrade my S2k to keep up with a <insert your fast car here, 370z, EvoX, etc>', the answer is always.... 'FI' (that's forced induction. ie supercharger or turbo). The only way to make a car meaningfully faster, is to push more air and fuel through it. Period. If you can do that without FI, then all power to you, but I'm from the school of small engine, high revs, and high compression. Asupercharged S2K makes 400hp at the fly. From a 2.0 engine. Pretty unbelievable. Check this guy out...he ran this car, with a turbo so big, he had to fabricate his downpipe to exit through the side of the car. It's making 700hp plus AT THE WHEELS, on completely stock engine internals, AND a completely stock rear end (that means diff and final drive). After a month or so, the diff gave in, but that was always going to happen, since they don't last forever, even with 250hp. It's a known weakness. But the engine internals of the S2K seem to be ok for up to about 800hp in some cases. Anyway, check this vid, it's awesome... Not many cars can give a GSXR a race! and he wasn't even fully boosted in that vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUFFudEJnjk

Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Lunchboxer

LOL.. that's a big turbo...

I think the other reason why it is hard to get more power out of the S2000 is that the stock setup is quite optimized as is.. there's not much left on the table.. while there might be more on the bigger displacement engine, less optimized header / exhaust setup, found on the truck...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

LOL.. that's a big turbo...

I think the other reason why it is hard to get more power out of the S2000 is that the stock setup is quite optimized as is.. there's not much left on the table.. while there might be more on the bigger displacement engine, less optimized header / exhaust setup, found on the truck...
Spot on, I'm impressed to hear that from a non-owner. It's a good point, they have already squeezed ALL the juice out of it. But the same still applies to other cars too, bolt-ons are good for nothing but miniscule gains, and perhaps moving the torque curve around, which can be useful too. But not much else. In fact, despite being a bad example in one way, the S makes a good example in another way; it's still 10 years down the line, the fastest naturally aspirated reciprocating internal combustion engine ever put in a production car, in terms of hp per liter, and it doesn't have a 70mm exhaust stock, or a CAI with snorkel, or high flow cat, or a lightweight flywheel (well, actually, the early models have quite a light flywheel, but anyway...). Adding those things doesn't make any difference. Therefore they are not needed to get the best out of an engine. If simply adding a $500 exhaust added power it would be a factory option. Unless it's combined with complimenting mods and a real bespoke tune by a pro, forget any exahust gains, that's all I'm trying to say.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Lunchboxer

I don't own one but I have a friend that does and I have driven his S2000.. and ride in it, etc. He is into modding his cars.. (not cosmetic stuff, he is pretty hardcore, turbo swap, complete re-build, that kind of stuff..) For S2000, he just said that it is too hard to get anything so he left it alone on the powertrain department.. He said even the suspension is similar.. he has a full coilover setup and he said that it is like spending a few thousand dollars and you gain that maybe 5% improvement.. and lost 50% of the comfort..

Basically, the stock setup is pretty darn optimized...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

like i said before, im done with the stupid argue ment about my truck, but i willl through a new vehicle in, its an 05 jeep wrangler 4.56 gears 4.0 inline 6 headers, ram air intake(snorkel) custom exhaust, 36x13.5 tires, probably runs mid 20's
lol headerS on an inline 6.

Never put more than 1 header on a 4.0, and ThunderbirdJunkie has owned and worked on more Jeeps than you've seen in your life.

Is that TJ locked, or is it a mall crawling garage queen?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM
J.D.T

I get it header(s), first I though you meant there was no need for a header on a 4.0 litre, well anyone that has any experience with a jeep yj or tj will tell you to change it first before the crappy stock one breaks, we average 3 or 4 a year in the jeep club that break and need to be replaced
You guys are all wrong on the exhaust thing, on a mustang you can gain 10-25 horsepower depending on the other mods, I have seen one guy that had a mopar b1 440 that was made to look all stock, when the car got totalled and he took the motor out for another car he added headers and made 61 more horsepower at the wheels on a dyno, of course this is the extreme edge, his valves are 2.44 inches on the intake, nearly the size of the pistons on some of the smaller four poppers

some proof

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/118.shtml

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/70.shtml

a cat back is even good for 13 horse on a 4 banger in some cases

http://www.wrxlinks.com/viewtopic.php?id=207
Old 04-03-2009, 01:24 PM
The Hedgehog

On modern cars the exhaust is already optimized, it is near impossible to improve upon it in a lot of cases.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
DarkFire989

JEEZE. What size turbo is that?!?!?! That thing must have cost a fortune!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:57 PM
J.D.T

impot tuner would disagree with you guys to, on a s 2000 they saw up to 3 hp gains across the powerband, at $416 this would be pretty costly for just three ponies though

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...yno/index.html

the fastest s2000 around here has greedy exhaust, at 9000 rpm that sucker screams and sounds closer to a sport bike than a car lol
Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
dsales

Do yourselfs a favour, get your engines remapped!!! If your car has a turbo you can expect a 50BHP increase, if your car has a supercharger you get a 70BHP increase (in the case of a Mclaren SLR a +150BHP increase [X(]) and a naturally aspirated engine will get about a 30BHP increase. Plus you get a better fuel economy...
Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Foxy

Like I said, 90%. There are a few that gain power. Invidia is one, making about 9hp. That's what I call a gain, don't forget we're talking about a 250hp car. A 3hp gain on a 100hp car is insignificant, let alone an S2k. And in any case, I wouldn't put any stock in figures coming from import tuner, unless I'd seen the same results from a genuine member at a dyno day at the S2Ki forums. As for sound, and this is just fyi, the Invidia has the most beautiful exhaust note I've ever heard from any car. Check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_k681VDtk

I'd love to own that exhaust, but it's just too loud for daily driving, as is the Greddy. I've seen dyno results for just about every S2000 exhaust there is, none of them make great gains (that's not to say a larger number make very small gains, like 1 to 3hp, which also is practically unmeasurable on a dyno as you can easily get a 2hp variation in two charts from the exact same car on the exact same dyno), except the Mugen (Honda tuning division, so no real surprise there), and the Invidia.

Threre's a thread on the S2k forums, where a lot of exhaust tests from real people have been done, and the results posted. Those are the figures I believe, as they have no vested interest.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

You may gain horsepower with an aftermarket exhaust or intake on most modern vehicles, but it will also take away from midrange/low end power.

There is no performance advantage on most modern naturally aspirated vehicles to swapping intakes and throttle bodies and stuff like that unless you have learned what your engine looks like on the inside the hard way. Obviously, if you've got a turbo car and you've turned up the boost and left most everything else stock, ditto a supercharged engine, there is less truth to that...but the truth is still there.

Sorry to burst you guys' bubble...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:52 PM
youwish16

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

You may gain horsepower with an aftermarket exhaust or intake on most modern vehicles, but it will also take away from midrange/low end power.

There is no performance advantage on most modern naturally aspirated vehicles to swapping intakes and throttle bodies and stuff like that unless you have learned what your engine looks like on the inside the hard way. Obviously, if you've got a turbo car and you've turned up the boost and left most everything else stock, ditto a supercharged engine, there is less truth to that...but the truth is still there.

Sorry to burst you guys' bubble...
turning up the boost on a stock bottom end is a bad idea, unless you like a motor that doesnt run anymore
Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Not necessarily. Ford's 2.3 turbos, the VW 1.8 and 2.0 turbos, and lots of other OE turbo'd engines love to suck up lots of boost.

Plenty of 4G63s and SRT4s running around running 5+ more pounds of boost than stock...
Old 04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Lunchboxer

Everything is a trade off.. some are better built than the others.. (RB26DETT?! 2JZ-GTE?! etc.) But no doubt when you boost it up, you'd lose some expected life of the engine.. to some, though, is a trade off that they are happy to take..
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No way dude, more boost=longer lasting engine, because it is not having to work as hard to create a vacuum to draw air into the cylinders

Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 PM
The Hedgehog

More power in general means longer lifetime of engine. More boost, higher compression, more power adders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.