Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

What if you got fooled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:56 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if you got fooled?

What if you buy a brand new car.
Say a....Chevy Aveo...
And it just happens to be built with leftover Daewoo parts from when they went belly up?
Plenty of GM and Suzuki badged cars that are nothing more than leftover parts that no one wanted.
If you get a chance, look at the underhood sticker on one of these...
Manufactured by GM DAEWOO CORP.
I know I would be pissed if I thought I bought a Chevy and got a pile of Daewoo junk.

What's your 2 cents?

(I am aware that Daewoo is a large company that makes lots of other good products so none of those comments needed as that's not the subject.)
Old 10-31-2009, 05:57 PM
magnus213

Default RE: What if you got fooled?

Isn't this car just a GM-rebadged low-end Asian export anyway? I'd never buy one of these things.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:15 PM
dsales

But that just what Acura and Infiniti do in a way... Just take an average car and put their badge on it (to make it seem better)
Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 PM
splcrazy

yeah but isnt that car built in korea ? LOL looks like a piece of cheese on wheels , ugly car ever
Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: dsales

But that just what Acura and Infiniti do in a way... Just take an average car and put their badge on it (to make it seem better)
Well, not really because Acura is still a subsidiary of Honda (Honda owns all of Acura) and likewise, Infiniti belongs to Nissan. Honda actually does not skimp on quality with Acura, nor does Nissan with Infinity (Acura and Infinity are supposed to be the "Cadillac" brands of their respective parent companies).

The Daewoo unfortunately is a sorry excuse for a Chevy; and I will never buy one. If I had the money, I would buy a Corvette or a Chevy half ton pick-up, but never anything Chevy compact because most, if not all chevy economy cars suck to high hell.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 PM
DaveG55

What about the flip side of the question?
What if you buy a relitively inexpensive "American" car and find out it's got a lot of high end car parts underneath? You are still being "fooled" but would you still be pissed?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Quality would be a differnt story. I for one would support it because it is quality form competition that drives the domestic makers to spur on innovations and improvements of their own. Look at what the Japanese car makers did in pulling American cars out of poor quality. Toyotas, for example, drove up quality standards of American cars ever since the 70's, and lets face it, American cars during that time were designed to fail at 100K miles or after 5 years on purpose so you would have to buy another. American cars skimped on materials and design and annoying thinks like knobs falling off, window cranks screwing up, door hinges coming loose and so forth plagued American cars.

Japanese competition, by way of their quality, fuel efficiency, and innovation by way of ergonomics and function spurred American cars to try to follow suit too. And if it were not for that competition, American cars would still be made like crap.

However, competition can drive quality the other way too. Here is how. Lets say you have a car maker whose sole purpose is cheapness and they skimp on everything. The driving consumer factor is cheapness and the buyer is so pulled in by the cheapness, they can care less about the quality because it was cheap. And the cheap owner becomes delusional that he even lies to himself and will dare say that his cheaper built car is just as good as the mainstream car when in fact it is not. And he will vehemently hold on to this lie to the end.
What then happens is more and more people buy the cheaper sorrier built car such that the American makers have no choice but to follow suit and make their cares cheaply and sorrier too just to remain competitive. Otherwise, they simple become only niche vehicles and their market base drastically dwindles to a trickle.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:50 AM
dsales

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

What if you buy a relitively inexpensive ''American'' car and find out it's got a lot of high end car parts underneath? You are still being ''fooled'' but would you still be pissed?
Like the Australian brand Holden. Their top of the range cars are actually all American with a LS2/LS3 engine and sold dirt cheap. Same with the Vauxhall Monaros.

Im just thinking but no one should be fooled. The dealer should firstly tell you at least what chassis the car shares with others if it does so. The fact that my Alfa Mito is derived from the Fiat Puntos chassis did put me off a bit but during the test drive it was clear that it was tweaked to give it better handling.
Also most people who buy a car will research it before hand online or through car magazines and that will tell them what lies underneath the bodywork.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:12 AM
dsales

Just by driving around it looks like the most popular American car in the UK is Chevrolet and I don't think they have actually ever made a good car for the UK except the Corvette but thats only in left hand price and twice the price of what its sold in the US. Not an appealing car.

Im just having a look at the Chevrolet website and heres what they have on offer: Matiz, Aveo, Cruze, Epica and Captiva.
They all look 10 years old. The Matiz is also a Daewood and I have no idea how it managed to conform to EU regulation because if you crash at 30mph in it you will quite possibly die. The Aveo is a piece of design horror, whys the badge in the wrong place? My neigbour got one as a company car and frankly the quality of plastics on my rc cars is better.
The Cruze is competing with the VW Golf and Ford Focus. 2 very nice cars which are better in every way. The Cruze was apparently meant to make a big design statement for Chevy. Well if all future ones are going to look like that...
Epica, another Daewood...
Captiva is just an insult to 4X4's.

Its clear what their tactic is (and this goes to all American brands in Europe) they want to beat the competition by being the cheapest car around and that has clearly failed. They try to sell us crap, fail and then complain of bankrupcy....
Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I hear you on that. Back in the 70's, GM was up to the same kind of tactic back then, well, they did not outsource overseas to make crap cars, they unfortunately made crap cars on American soil and became an embarrassment to made in the USA (which I actually am angry about).

One of the cars that they made was called the Nova. The Nova might have been okay at the time, but I am very sure that the Novas had their fair share of lemons coming straight form the factory.

In the Spanish speaking Amaricas, the Nova got a bad reputation. and Nova (No Va) in spanish means "It does not go!" Thus Nova sales in the Spanish speaking Americas sold horribly.

I am actually angry that GM has the never to still do this and try to pass trash cars, even to the UK. I am sad to see that they are still trying to play this 1970's tactic 40 years later. I do hope that the GM restructuring seriously explores this and makes positive changes.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:39 PM
dsales

Don't get angry man, people here are wise enough to stay away from those cars.

Anyway, I found some interesting videos on youtube of the Matiz and Smart which every American person on this forum has slagged off and pretty much called a small piece of crap lol.

Which would you rather be in.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAq5TEs5ATs&feature=PlayList&p=A7CBAD62F0D01341&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14[/link]

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YgMRqeu8U[/link]

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s&feature=related[/link]
Old 11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
The Hedgehog

Doesn't matter, the Smart is not a good everyday car in America. Handles like junk and one of the most uncomfortable rides you will ever have in your life.

Consumer Report said it was the worst car they have ever driven.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
dsales

No, it was just to prove the point about how bad the build quality of a Matiz is, the fact that a tiny plastic car can stand up better in a crash than it can...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Rebadged or not, it's got the Chevy logo, the Chevy warranty and the Chevy dealer support. Not a bad deal, not a great one, but not a bad one. If you expect to get a top of the line car for under $15K, then you are being unrealistic. People who buy these cars, should know what they are getting and what to expect. Almost every vehicle brand has more than one supplier and more than one market. I wouldn't feel fooled if I bought one. If you go to buy a $15K car, then you should expect a $15K car. You wouldn't expect to have HPI/AE quality out of an Exceed or Redcat RC would you?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a Chevy Aveo rental for like 3 weeks a few years ago.. (waiting for my car to be shipped from west coast to east)

At the time, I was thinking that I would rather be driving my old Toyota.. (at the time, the Toyota probably had 140k miles? Now 220k miles..)
Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 PM
DaveG55

A few years ago my Jeep GC was hit by a retread that came off a dump truck. While it was in the shop I "got" to drive a Lexus SUV. I hated that car, it was a piece of crap. MY GC was a lot better on material quality and in fit/finish as well. I could hardly wait to get my Jeep back. The funny thing was the rental agent was all bubbly about how lucky I was to drive the Lexus, what a joke.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Lunchboxer

Maybe we just like what we have....
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Foxy

I don't see the problem. Chevy or not, it's priced like a Daewoo. You get what you pay for. These cars are everywhere in Europe.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get what you pay for.

End of story
Old 11-03-2009, 03:29 PM
mini-dude

I would be aware that literally any car I purchased, U.S. "made" or otherwise, contained parts made elsewhere.

BTW - what are you going to do about those Chevysassembled inCanada or the Fordsassembled in Mexico????

Anybody that believes otherwise deserves to drive a Daewoo or a Yugo............
Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
monsterbombs

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

What if you buy a relitively inexpensive ''American'' car and find out it's got a lot of high end car parts underneath? You are still being ''fooled'' but would you still be pissed?
Like the Australian brand Holden. Their top of the range cars are actually all American with a LS2/LS3 engine and sold dirt cheap. Same with the Vauxhall Monaros.

Im just thinking but no one should be fooled. The dealer should firstly tell you at least what chassis the car shares with others if it does so. The fact that my Alfa Mito is derived from the Fiat Puntos chassis did put me off a bit but during the test drive it was clear that it was tweaked to give it better handling.
Also most people who buy a car will research it before hand online or through car magazines and that will tell them what lies underneath the bodywork.
um, the motors are american? the new holden commodore has a 6.2 litre
and had a 6.0 (and earlier used the 5.7's in another model) so yes the motor
is american but the chassis and suspension, even the interior are copyied
from a bmw. not all american.

general motors/deawoo have been around for years. the opel astra/vectra models
have the same 1.8/2.0 motors from years ago with a twin cam head on it as the deawoo.
i have worked on heaps of them, and the motors are about 20 years old with an efi
and twin cam on it.

just a cheap way to make new cars.

go toyota!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
dsales

Seeing as Holden is owned by General Motors I thought it would be all American. Reading on Wikipedia has told me that the current Commodore is actually based on the GM zeta platform (same platform used on new Camaro)
The chassis, engine and gearbox are American, thats basically the whole car.
And as for the interior its definately not a copy of BMW, just look at that steering wheel [&:]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35693.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1307863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50735.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1307864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80072.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1307865  
Old 11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
monsterbombs

dude i had one. sit in one, drive it and find out.
handles and looks like a bmw inside. look at the
air con ducts and the steering wheel and think earlier
model beemer.

the only bad part of the car was the gearbox. shifted
similar to a massey ferguson, cluncky. our monaro is sold
in the u.s as a pontiac gto and our commodore sedans
are labeled a pontiac g8 these are aussie cars.

this relableing buiseness has gone on for years especially
between mazda/ford mitsubishi/hyundai heaps of them.
hyundai hatchbacks with mitsubishi motors in them.
this is good, especially for parts. easy to get hold of and
interchangable.

just a badge in alot of cases.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM
dsales

I would like to try one out but there are none around. We only have the Vauxhall Monaro here and you don't even find those in showrooms. I think they must be made to order only.
The centre part of the steering wheel looks like the old 5-series, as does the area around the glove box a little. The air ducts you can't tell as VW's are the same. The only problem with that is that it already looks dated lol.
At least copy a new car...
Good to hear that it handles well though.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:10 PM
mini-dude

just look at that steering wheel [&:]

the STEERINGWHEEL???

rofl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.