Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

How close have you been to Death?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How close have you been to Death?

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I totaled my dads RX300 back in high school, did about 85 into a building [&:]. Amazingly enough I walked away with a couple scrapes, car was a goner. I was lucky because it was a straight head on so the car absorbed most of the impact, and the building was ''soft'' enough. In case you're wondering, yes, I was drunk. That's a lesson enough never to drink and drive. It's amazing what stupid stuff we do at that age.

Lately was I chased about 3 blocks by a pack of wild turkeys, that was harrowing.
Yeah drunk driving, is just plain stupid. Thank God you didn't take anyone else out during your freeride.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM
sparky 25

Yea drunk driving is foolish,

Just last weekend a guy at my work was on a night out drinking with friends,

his mate drove to the bar and they were supposed to arrange a taxi for going home,

but at the end of the night his mate gave him the keys to his car,

4 of people got into the car and the work mate drove a couple miles down the road and over shot a junction,

one guy in the back seat of the car went out through the windscreen and just about survived,

this guy is now been in a coma for a week, he is also paralised and with suspected brain damage,

and another guy inside the vehicle maybe paralised, both these young men are in there early twentys

The guy at work got off with a couple scratches and the fourth person in the car was unhurt,

sheograth you got lucky no one got hurt.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I'm lucky. The best that can come of it is being wise not to do things like that in the future. I think about it from time to time and really do appreciate how lucky I am that no one was hurt. Drunk driving is seriously nasty business, at least 4 people from my high school died in related accidents in my four years there.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Several times I was almost hit by a train at work, one time I was actually shoved against the wall because I was stuck at a damaged curve and the train leaned too close to the wall
Old 03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
sheograth

Multiple close calls with trains? What sort of work do you do? Subways?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 PM
[email protected]

well the doctor told me would have had 3 days tops and would have been too late. had a Pneumonia didnt know i had it just thought it was a bad cold with a very bad cough. after 10 days i was like guess i have to go to doctors. he checked me out told me i need to go to hospital now to get a chest xray after that i found out i had A collapsed lung (pneumothorax) right side. i was put on all kinds of cool drugs Phenergan with Codeine lots of antibiotics had to take off a week of work. doctor told me to take off 2 weeks. was like cant do dude.

I asked on a check up why didnt i feel so close to death or feel that bad, was walking around still going to work my pulse oxygen was 97. told me thats why it kills young people cause by the time it does put you down its to late and the lungs cant recover and you die. told me if i was 60+ would have been dead, then told me how stupid i was for waiting so long. i recoverd in 3 weeks my xrays were all good lungs were back to ok had another few weeks lungs had full capacity. so now i know
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 PM
So Cal

Well the closest ive been was friday in a sandrail in glamis. Came off a dune hit a whoop got sideways plowed a bush and sent the car upside down. I was righing in the back. Nobody was hurt thankfully.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
sheograth

Man, you did one over on that A-arm.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 AM
tommygun32

Just to clarify the experience I had in Dubai guys....before you all start thinking it must be a wild west shoot 'em up town where all foreigners are not safe kind of place.

1. The 'police officer' was straight out of police training.
2. It turned out that he had some kind of previous mental issue that slipped through the cracks during his training (happens everywhere)
3. As soon as I reported the incident to the head of police stationed at my work place, he was very appologetic about the incident.
4. The policeman in question was immediately suspended, re-evaluated and disciplined.
5. Finally, the policeman was not actually an Emirati, he came from another Middle Eastern country.

I came to Dubai in '92 for a six month contract and never left. This has got to be one of the safest city's to live in the world!! The police here are the friendliest and most helpfull in the world I've ever seen as well. I liken the UAE to "the Switzerland of the Middle East".
Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 AM
basketballfan60123

About 12 years ago I was driving my 95 Nissan 4x4 pick-up on a pizza delivery doing 40+mph down a suburban street; 3 drunk guys driving 89 cougar (no insurance) T- boned my passenger side door after they ran a stop-sign.
After the impact my truck rolled on its left side about 5 times down the street; the really scary thing about it was I did not even have my seat belt on.
As the truck was rolling I remember gripping the steering wheel as hard as I could and bracing my lower body by slamming my feet onto the accelertor and floor board; I could hear the engine revving like crazy as it was rolling over and when it stopped right side up the 3 drunks abandoned their car and just took off.
After the cops showed up they caught one of them hiding behind a house and the other two got away; the one they caught was not the owner of the car so I could not sue and the car was owned by someone other than the people who were driving it that night.
I got a big bump on my head,glass in one eye, and 8 stitches on my right leg; everyone at the hospital said I was lucky to be alive
Nowadays I always make sure I put my seat-belt no matter what (it's the law).
Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
sheograth

Hey So-Cal, what make is that sandrail with the 2 whips?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
The Collector1

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Multiple close calls with trains? What sort of work do you do? Subways?
I do trackwork and inspections
Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Blackrainstorm

When I was about 16 on my way back from Florida with my family there was an accident on the interstate. We had just stopped when there was a huge crash and the RV immediately behind us went flying by our car with the front end of a tractor trailer rammed halfway into the RV. The RV/tractor trailer combo passed by our car by inches, I guess the RV driver had fast enough reactions to steer off to the side when he got hit. Thanks man, hope you made it...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
madmax22

the only one i could REALLY think of was whn i flipped my quad and the handlebars were pinning my to the ground via the neck... I was choking and if it wasnt for my dad randomly looking back and turning around there was no way i was getting that quad off me... Broken bones, dont even get my started... Both collar bones, most of my fingers, most of my toes, snapped my left fore-arm in half ( i was luck i didnt have to go in for surgery) and my nose about 3 times... I drink my milk and my bones are perfectly healthy, the skateboard, ski's, quads and what not do a number on you...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Which time?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23232.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1409814  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM
elven wizard

Never been close to death of anything. Been lucky I guess ! Or maybe not luck [sm=71_71.gif]cause I just mess with Rc's all day at usually one place not putting myself in any danger.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
tommygun32

EW....it feels like many moons since I've felt your presence in these hallowed halls of RCU....or is it just me?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM
elven wizard

Yes TommyGun32 it's been very many moons indeed. [sm=cry_smile.gif] Lots of things going on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42602.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1410393  
Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of my friends got surgery on a hernia, died on the table and came back 3 minutes later, massive bleeding. he's ok now.

so yeah, he wins
Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 PM
monsterbombs

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

one of my friends got surgery on a hernia, died on the table and came back 3 minutes later, massive bleeding. he's ok now.

so yeah, he wins
a friend of mine was told he had 8 weeks to live (cancer)
about 3 months ago, and was put in a morphine
induced coma Friday of last week. not the one just gone.

two days later he woke up and asked for his wallet and cigarettes. [X(]
he is still alive today. just.

i think that is pretty much unheard of.

i nearly died when i was a teenager, but it was my own stupid fault
from drugs. my heart actually stopped and was doing weird things.
i wasn't worried about myself, but leaving my folks behind. even wrote a
letter. very frightening, to this day i don't even take paracetamol.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 AM
tommygun32

When I was about 12 years old I got into Estes rockets. Figured out pretty quickly how to use these to make my own explosives.

**side note: DO NOT try this at home. I've since learned I was doing it in a very dangerous manner and only dumb luck kept me from seriouse injury or death!!**

Anyway, my first attempt at lighting what would be a M100, I decided to do what I'd seen in cartoons. Lay a line of flash powder (about a foot long) on the ground leading to the fire-cracker. I had burried the cracker into a red ant hill. Struck a match while leaning over the unit, dropped the match on the line of flash powder and in about 1/8th of a second realized why it's called FLASH POWDER...[:@]...because that's how long it took to go up in smoke. I only got my head slightly turned away before the blast went off.

Outcome...side of face peppered with specks, ear ringing for a day or two....and covered from head to toe in very angry fire ants... Ran home and jumped into the shower with everything on.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:20 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: tommygun32
and in about 1/8th of a second realized why it's called FLASH POWDER...[:@]
Makes sense, doesn't it?

A friend of mine did something similar with a makeshift fuse about 3 years ago. He tried taping a sparkler to the powder core of a bear banger to give it a short delay, but as soon as he lit the end of the 'fuse', a stray spark landed on the exposed core and caused the device to explode in his face. The blast propelled dirt and rocks into his eyes, and he ended up having to go to the ER to have the larger particles removed with tweezers.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told my pregnent wife her butt was getting bigger, that was a close call.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 AM
tommygun32

ROFL Red

I just spit beer all over my laptop reading your post...
Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 AM
tommygun32

Come to think of it....2 or 3 times a day driving on the roads here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.