Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Abby Sunderland's around the world sail

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:54 AM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abby Sunderland's around the world sail

Wasn't there a member on here that knows her? I thought that I remembered a post about her just befor she sailed.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/boats-head...en-546746.html

Anyway, I'm glad she is safe. Took a lot of intestinal fortitude to try that at 16, especially the route she chose. And probably a ton of skill to make it as far as she did, I mean really, a 40' boat in 30' seas - that would scare me comatose!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:57 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Abby Sunderland's around the world sail

Yeah, I've been following the story. She is safe as of now. Calvino know's her.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 AM
DaveG55

Have the picked her up yet? That story I posted said that they have found her and her boat but that it could be another 24 hours before a ship got to her. I know that, if she were my child, I would not stop worrying until she was safe on another ship. Or maybe dry land!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 AM
sheograth

I don't think they've gotten to her yet, but she's in contact with them as far as I've heard.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 AM
only1battman

no they havent picked her up yet, i was listening this on the radio this morning. a fishing boat is going to pick her up.
oh the irony...
... it is always a fishing boat that goes and saves the stranded sailor
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM
calvino

Yes Sheograh is right, I do know her personally [8D] As of now she has been picked up by the French boat and is safely on there/talked to her family. The sad part is they have to sink the boat which is sad... aah at least she is safe! All I can say is that there has (naturally) been a huge media frenzy over it all. I remember hearing/seeing a ton of news groups doing shots of the prayer group at our Church until they found her ok. They said she should be back on dry land in a few days now, I think she will need some sleep
Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
tommygun32

calvino, let her know our prayers were with here, even here in the Middle East. She must be an amazing person just to hang with. And on another note, how cool will it be for her to come back to a new baby brother?!?!

She'll make it one day, but there's not much you can do about being de-masted.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 PM
DaveG55

Glad she mede it ok. Too bad about the boat but there are way, way worse things that could have been. I know her family and friends will be relieved when she finally makes it home. Will continue with the prayers until then.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
RC freak

I'm glad to hear that she is safe, even though I wasn't really following her story.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
sheograth

Her dad had a pretty funny comment, which I thought was great. He was asked by a reporter about why he would let his daughter do something so dangerous, and his response was that she has a great sense of adventure and that most of the people calling him a bad parent will probably die in front of their TVs.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM
DaveG55

I actually do not think that they are "bad" parents. To the contrary, if they have raised their children to be indipendant enough to want to do something like that and aquire the skills to do it then. in my book they are doing a great job and have raised children that will be an asset to this world. Did the trip come with risks? Obviously it did but I am 100% sure that the parents agonized over the entire thing. And I am also sure that they felt that she could handle anything that came her way. And they have been proved correct. Did they worry? I bet they did. Are they bad parents, hell no!

Now I have another question. How is it any different letting a 16y/o try this trip than it is allowing a 16/17 y/o to enlist in the armed forces? That happens all the time and no one accuses thos eparents of being "bad" and yet they are, by definition, sending their kids into harms way!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Her dad had a pretty funny comment, which I thought was great. He was asked by a reporter about why he would let his daughter do something so dangerous, and his response was that she has a great sense of adventure and that most of the people calling him a bad parent will probably die in front of their TVs.

Oooh gosh I knew her dad would say something goofy, that's his personality When she left he calls her up on her cell and goes "..... and don't forget to be late for dinner in 6 months" I have known the family forever and all the kids are adventurous in their own way which is awesome [8D] Most kids won't try something "hard" or "new" for the sake of being scared of the backlash, so even tough she may not get the record, it still shows what someone her age can pull off

Thanks Tommygun, I was shocked at the outpouring at our church for her, since we have all known her for so long, it was hard to see her go but we knew she knew what she was doing [8D] I will say the wait for info was agonizing wondering "what if she isn't ok... what if she is dead, what if she is injured, in a life raft on the ocean" and then the news "she is ok" was like *WOW*

I just can't wait to see what she says when she gets back home, and i just got to say that Dave is so true. People stand there and critique her and her parents saying its "child endangerment" when it was her choice, and she knew the risks. PLUS, we don't realize that all the "other things" kids do are just as dangerous, if not more. [:-] I just hope the media backs off, must not be fun with news crews in the front yard all day and night [X(] On a funny note, it helps Dominos is right down the street
Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
tommygun32

You know what calvino....

If you get a chance, give both of Abby's parents a hand shake or a hug, give it to them for and from me please; I can only keep trying to make sure my kids are as smart, intelligent, mathematical, wise and streetwise as Abby and the rest of their kids.

Camping out reporters.....well, I'll let their actions speak for themselves.....

Don't eat take away pizza.....ever!!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

You know what calvino....

If you get a chance, give both of Abby's parents a hand shake or a hug, give it to them for and from me please; I can only keep trying to make sure my kids are as smart, intelligent, mathematical, wise and streetwise as Abby and the rest of their kids.

Camping out reporters.....well, I'll let their actions speak for themselves.....

Don't eat take away pizza.....ever!!
Done deal, saw them earlier today and as usual they were a little worried still but were so happy that she was ok, as well as the rest of us [8D]

Lol yep, haven't been by their house yet but I get the idea that it is still a media zoo... one of my friends who swung by said it was a pain to dodge reporters trying to get in the door

Aah take out pizza... ooh you mean the stuff that comes with Tums and a big stack of napkins so you can blot the oil off it [:'(] You can burn the napkins and boxes after if you get cold
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

nevermind
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM
DaveG55

Been reading some of the stuff out there about what her rescue cost and the bellyaching about who is funding it. It's a substantial sum fo sure but I'll bet that all the complainers would change their tune if it was their loved one in need!!!

On the other hand, I did not realize that her attempt was not sanctioned by the US Sailing Association (or whatever it's called). Nor that no one had taken out any kind of insurance for the attempt.
Apparently, there were also some other considerations (time of year, route and others) that made her attempt more dangerous than it necessarally needed to be. So, maybe some poor judgement was involved. But still, the Law of the Sea says that if you are able you MUST try to render aid. To ***** about that is useless, in poor taste and speaks directly to the charichter of the ones *****ing.

Bottom line, she is safe and that's ALL that matters.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Been reading some of the stuff out there about what her rescue cost and the bellyaching about who is funding it. It's a substantial sum fo sure but I'll bet that all the complainers would change their tune if it was their loved one in need!!!

On the other hand, I did not realize that her attempt was not sanctioned by the US Sailing Association (or whatever it's called). Nor that no one had taken out any kind of insurance for the attempt.
Apparently, there were also some other considerations (time of year, route and others) that made her attempt more dangerous than it necessarally needed to be. So, maybe some poor judgement was involved. But still, the Law of the Sea says that if you are able you MUST try to render aid. To ***** about that is useless, in poor taste and speaks directly to the charichter of the ones *****ing.

Bottom line, she is safe and that's ALL that matters.
Thanks Dave. Like they said in the local paper, quoting someone from Australia, they pretty simply put imagine if it was your kid on the boat, and you weren't sure what was up with them and you wanted them safe and sound. I sure would want as much rescue efforts as possible to find out what is up. Now if people just stopped making rumors things would be great [>:] My biggest worry for her is when the media come hounding her again, when she hits the states [:@]

As one of her siblings said "can't the media just go and give us some privacy. I am sick of it all!!!" [:@]
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: calvino

As one of her siblings said ''can't the media just go and give us some privacy. I am sick of it all!!!'' [:@]
Maybe her sibling should ask that question to her parents, considering how much effort they spent hyping up this whole ordeal.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: calvino

As one of her siblings said ''can't the media just go and give us some privacy. I am sick of it all!!!'' [:@]
Maybe her sibling should ask that question to her parents, considering how much effort they spent hyping up this whole ordeal.

Just sayin'.
Send me a PM regarding what you meant [>:] I will say I can only imagine what she is feeling. I know a few friends who went over to their house to help out reported the same thing regarding the media [:@]
Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No PM necessary. Before and during her trip her family wasn't exactly pushing the media away.

You reap what you sow.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found this thread today, can't believe I missed it before. That's crazy and cool that you know her Calvino. Especially glad that everything turned out okay.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is probably a dumb question, but does the family get hit w/ some sort of fee for the rescue?

Like if you need a helicopter to get you down from the mountain, I think you have to pay for it, right?

I hope the family is not hit w/ a giant amount of cost...
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

This is probably a dumb question, but does the family get hit w/ some sort of fee for the rescue?

Like if you need a helicopter to get you down from the mountain, I think you have to pay for it, right?

I hope the family is not hit w/ a giant amount of cost...
Well (I think it was mentioned earlier) the countries involved in an *ocean* rescue, under maritime law, are required to asorb the cost. Sounds cruel but it is just how the laws go [8D]

As for a mountain, I am not exactly sure of it, that is a whole different story. I think in some cases you are charged, and in others you aren't.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha, stick it to the Aussies.. ha!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

They could at least send them some prawn to throw on the barbie for their efforts.