Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Another 67" Fusion Wing Tube Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 PM
ahaynes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 67" Fusion Wing Tube Question

My ARF doesn't have the nylon bolt. It has a 4 or 5 mm socket head bolt. When installing the wings it seems they don't want to pull down flush with the fuselage. How tight do you need to adjust this nut. I don't want to break something in the wing nor do I want the wings coming lose in flight. Is it possible that the wing tube is just slighty to long? Also are the wing sockets suspose to be glued into the wing? I would think so but just want to be sure. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Andy
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Berwyn Bill
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Another 67" Fusion Wing Tube Question

ORIGINAL: ahaynes

My ARF doesn't have the nylon bolt. It has a 4 or 5 mm socket head bolt. When installing the wings it seems they don't want to pull down flush with the fuselage. How tight do you need to adjust this nut. I don't want to break something in the wing nor do I want the wings coming lose in flight. Is it possible that the wing tube is just slighty to long? Also are the wing sockets suspose to be glued into the wing? I would think so but just want to be sure. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Andy
Andy,

Ask away. The metal socket head bolt is the right one, it's not supposed to be nylon. You should tighten it snugly but don't make it insanely tight. If the wings aren't going flush, the problem must lie elsewhere

When you say "wing sockets," what exactly do you mean? The little black anti-rotation pins? I glued those into the fuse with equal lengths sticking out each side. For reference my wing tube is 18 5/16" long and fits fine. The fit into the phenolic tubes in the wings can be tight so try fitting the tube into each wing carefully away from the fuse to make sure it's fully seated in the wing.

My wings actually have a tiny bit of play in them now as the tube through the fuse for the wing tube has wallowed out some (I don't baby this bird, it gets flown HARD!!) but it still flies like a dream.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 AM
ahaynes

I glued the anti-rotation pins in just as you did with equal lenghs from each side and square with the fuse. I am refering to the main wing tube. I will check the length as compared to yours. It just seems to me that the wing should butt up tighter to the fuselage.

Andy
Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Andy, absolutely the wing tube sockets must be glued in place not only to each rib but to the shear webbing as well. The strength of the wing depends on it. If yours are loose or you have any question drip thin CA around the socket to rib joints and maybe thick ca around the socket to shear webbing joints to be sure. On the anti-rotation pins you can either glue to one wing so they extend through the fuse into the other wing or glue them into the fuse so they are centered. This is the preferred way and the way the kit is built. It is possible the wing tube is slightly long and not permitting the wings to fit flush to the fuse. Try each wing panel independently and make sure they fit flush. If you have determined the tube is in fact too long, cut off the right amount with a hacksaw and file the end smooth. I hope this helps and ask away if you have any other questions.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
crankpinpowell

I had the same problem with my new Fusion (excessive space at right wing root bottom and left wing root top). I was all set to start releaving the locating pin holes because they were a bear to insert on both wings. In preparation for this, I set up the model for a quick incidence check on the bench. While looking things over, I noticed that the wing tube was cocked, right side up, left side down, so I dremeled some relief into the fuse, just enough to let the tube become perpindicular to the fuse. Not enough grinding to change the round hole all the way through, just enough to straighten the hole to the perpindicular fuse. The wings then went on the locating pins without problem. Everything went together great after that!