Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Saito stack so close to the fuse.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito stack so close to the fuse.....

Hi Mike, if I use the velocity stack on my Saito 82 (on the Edge 540 ARF) it only gives 1/8" or less clearance for breathing between it and the fuse. How much structural strength would Iloose if I ground a bit of a crater in that area behind the engine mount. Someone said they drilled a hole clear through the fuse. The stack area is about 3/8" behind the upper part of the engine mount cutout area.

Thanks loads,

Ernie
Old 06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
hkilian

Default RE: Saito stack so close to the fuse.....

I'm not Mike but the clearance should be plenty to keep your plane from coming down in flames. Have to use my infrared thermometer on my YS 1.10 exhaust but I doubt very much I'll see temps that would ignite the wood structure. Stick a piece of good aluminum tape ("real" duct tape) over the area that's close. Also, carve additional clearance space up to a quarter inch if you feel so inclined.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Ernie, Notice in the pics I notched the rear area. I did not go all the way through. Also what the pic does not show is my notch is run at an angle. In other words, the left side of the fuse shows no notch at all. Even without the stack the notch would be needed in my application. The carb would have been to close to the fuse to get a good draw.
On your servo question. I have never had one go bad from oil getting in it. Most of the electronics are in the lower half of the case. It would be very difficult for oil to get past the gars and do damage in the lower part of the case. Not saying it can't happen, but it would be difficult.

Mike, sorry if I stepped on toes, but Ernie sent me two emails before this post. I always prefer the answers go on hear for all to see anyway. That way more then one can learn a little something.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31360.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1218878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76177.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1218879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38624.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1218880  
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Heck no and thanks Dave! Actually Idon't have any experience with that engine and the velocity stack. My first question is will the engine run ok without it? If not I think what Dave describes above is a good suggestion. Only cut as much as you need and no more.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM
daveopam

The engine runs fine without it. What it is supposed to do is suck back in the droplets of fuel that come out of the carb during a certain point in the engines timing. This is supposed to keep the plane cleaner and help with fuel economy. Does it work? Some swear by it. Others say it's BS. For me I can't tell any difference in Saito 72s with and without it.  And , if it is such a great aid for the Saito engine, how come some come with it and others don't? At one time the only way to get the stack on a 72 was to buy the GN version. This is the one with the black crankcase and gold rockers. Or you Had to buy one from Horizon and add it. 
    On the 67" Fusion like mine. I needed some clearance in that area anyway. So why not leave it on? The Tetherite thrust plate I got from OMP tilted the engine away a little. But the back half of the carb was still going to be really close to the fuse.

David
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
icepunk
My Feedback: (1)

I found this intersting as I am having the same mounting problems with the new OS FS 81a and it's new 'venturi' intake

http://saito-engines.info/special_tricks.html

in regards to removing it all together....
Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Ernie Misner

What's interesting about icepunk's Saito link, is that being on the Saito website, this fellow suggests going to a hardware store to buy the o-ring for the accessory stack.   It's true that the stack doesn't come with the necessary o-ring.

About the efficiency of the stack,  the new Alpha series of OS 4-strokes have added the stack and they talk it up big in their advertisements.

Thanks for all the good info!

Ernie
Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Hmm, maybe I need one of these for my Saito 100.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
daveopam

Just get a 1.25 and a MA Scimitar 16x6. It has the stack on it.

David

Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Ernie Misner

Was that the KG version David? I'm thinking the stack doesn't come on the standard version unless you add it. I like those Scimitar props. The 13x6 works great on the OS 55 and the 14x6 works great on the Saito 82.

Ernie
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
daveopam

I made I typo talking about the GK version. I put GN. The GK stands for Golden Knight. I don't know if a GK was ever made in the 82. On the 72 they made both and for some reason the GK had the stack. The GK cost $20-$30 more but I assumed this was for the powder coating. Maybe part of the money was for the stack? I'll put pic in the next reply.
I am a huge fan of the Scimitar props on the 1.25. I have not tried one on anything else. Once I find a good prop I stick with it. I am running a Zinger Pro Series 15x4 on my .82. When i break my spare I will have to try a Scimitar.

David
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
daveopam

Ernie, here are a few pics of a GK. As you van see the muffler is standard finish. As is the drive washer. The rest of the metal is black or gold.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51776.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1223801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94975.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1223802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13608.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1223803  
Old 06-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Ernie Misner

Hi Dave, what plane is that the GK is on? Looks like fun. It's my understanding that all GK's came with a stack and the standard versions without.

Ernie
Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
daveopam

Ernie, That's a Sig Somthing Extra. Very nice sport plane. Some say it's one of the best sport planes out there. I don't fly it much. Just because I have been doing all 3D the last couple of years.

David
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 AM
daveopam

BUMP