Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone S.E.5a

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 AM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone S.E.5a

[sm=lol.gif] Carlos, thank you for your photo work here and on other threads. It adds a lot to modeling pleasures.

Jaybird, I tried to destroy the evidence of my fuzzy thinking by editing out the incriminating evidence by substuting "maiden flight day" for the logically incorrect words today, but in spite of efforts to fix things the PC simply would not allow the corrections to be made. I'll keep trying to whitewash my error. Usually such PC problems clear up after a while.

Salute.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Jaybird

No problem...just having a little fun with words! I'd love to be able to maiden some of my planes again...hopefully with better results!

I picked up the Great Planes Lewis gun for their parkflyer and i'm trying to mount it. It's a two piece hollow design rather than the solid molded one on teh PZ unit. it has a lot of nice detail and will be fun to dress up once I figure out how best to mount it since it isn't solid at the mounting point. I'm toying with idea of a very thin aluminum strap and small brass hardware to hold it on as well as glue. I see now that it would have been a lot easier to take the ammo drum off and add it to the PZ one, but oh well. My Williams Brothers wheels are still on back order, darn.

I've picked up some Model Master acrylic paint in different colors to try and repair the scuffed up wing tips first off and then add some detail.

Later,

Jaybird
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Jaybird, thank you for continuing to add fun to the fight. My PC finally cleared up after complaining about it on FB where I can get away with telling a lot more truth than is possible here (too controversial). I have been blocked off from communicating with my "new energy scientist friends" for quite some time now; and I suspect the same thing is happening to many other new "free energy" science enthusists as well that I am cultivating to be modelers. I am treating my hackers as the fascist enemy and using my planes along with fighter pilot language to inspire interest in using model fighter planes as "attention getting teaching aides" to inspire interest in understanding issues of the day.

More in a minute, or so.

Okay, now that I have evidently been able to avoid being timed out, you might find it "fascinating" to notice that the code for the above smileys that appears on our "edit page" normally produces the "action smilies laughing and crying." By checking my older "post signatures" on our "Ace fighter threads" you can immediately notice that the code signatures are precicely correct on my posts, but the smileys are not working, at least most of the time. This kind of "anomaly" (?) is very obvious on my "Horizon Wants Your Opinion?" thread but takes more time to understand. I don't know how they are doing it but such lawlessness on the web must and will eventially be defeated. My "CALL TO GLORY" web site documents other enemies of modeling and mankind that I "affectionately" think of as the enemy that is being blown out of the sky with our "white hot rhetoric."

Yes, I am having fun doing a number on our enemies "in high places" and will continue to buy and fly fighters; and I will continue to have fun exposing and destroying them until the culture war is won by the good guys! So how is that for an agenda and an attitude?

"Aim High - Fly - Fight - Win!"

Salute (I would say "out" but there were no radios in WWi fighters).

__________________________________________________ __
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gerry,

Allow me to post those same pictures and others that I thought were much better at appreciating this fantastic model up closer

Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Jaybird

Terrific shots! One would think it was a much larger model with all the detail that can be seen while in the air. I especially like seeing the wing ribs on the bottom wing in the overhead shots.

Thanks for sharing.

Jaybird
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Oregon Craig

I love how Carlos and Jaybird ignore all the gobbledygook gibberish and just carry on talking about model airplanes. This is after all RCU.

Good show guys!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: N7OR

I love how Carlos and Jaybird ignore all the gobbledygook gibberish and just carry on talking about model airplanes. This is after all RCU.

Good show guys!
Thank you.

I don't think getting stuck in the mud with minor details of "wording" will bring the most benefit of others visiting this thread. I like to post Pictures and Video capture and allow those for themselves to decided based on as much information that I can share.

Like an old instructor always told me, "Pay Attention Son, it is for your own good!"
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] quapoman, fabulous work in more ways than one! Sorry I've been so slow getting back to the front, I just had to take out some time and fly my beautiful new Spitfire Mk IX in commemoration of the Battle of Britain.

Having trouble with the PC again.

Out. Whoops, in all the excitement I keep forgetting I don't have radio communication, so, SALUTE!

__________________________________________________ __
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 PM
guapoman2000

Hi Guys!

My buddy Gerry (simano) took his new Park Zone SE5a out early Friday morning (last week) to our RC Club again for several more flights and one of the flights he asked me to provide him with a Yellow Ribbon that I bought the other day from Wal-Mart Crafts section and I of course gave him the entire roll and cutting device so, he could help himself.

Gerry just cut nothing more than a 8 inch long piece and he went off to take-off his PZ SE5a with that Streamer attached on his model's right outer strut!

What Gerry informed me was that this was an actual manner in which they communicated during WW-I and this signified that whoever had this Streamer was the Squadron Leader.

For additional information on the significance on the Streamer go to:
http://forum.planetalk.net/viewtopic...e266f9212ff254

Otherwise please go and see the VIDEO capture from Friday morning!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wt4Q9VU0[/youtube]
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Jaybird

I've just returned from the 45th Rhinebeck Jamboree at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in upstate New York where I flew my Se5 in a "mass electric fly" just before the Saturday afternoon full scale airshow. I was a able to ROG from the thick grass (other planes had their gear catch and nosed over or were hand launched) and it flew great. I had modified the bottom of the brown plastic strut covers by cutting off the portion that hung below the axle cover and rounded the corners for less drag in the grass. I was the fourth of about 15 to 20 flyers to take off and third from the last to land. There were a lot of remarks on how well it flew and there were several sold on site by vendors. I didn't see any of them fly during the weekend though. I had another flight with it just as the flightline was closing before the Sunday show and had a mock dogfight with an Electrifly Fokker DVII that was fun. The SE5 has a lot more power and I could out fly the smaller DVII easily. I added some small black fabric ribbon "streamers" to my struts and they really helped identify it in the air.

Great fun!

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42634.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1661448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67548.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1661449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83232.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1661450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94046.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1661451  
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
rgspemkt
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys,

I made the first "on-board" video on my S.E.5a last Saturday.

Here's the Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJvsCQA-C5E

Now, could someone tell me how to embed the video in a message?

I've tried the little Youtube link in the message tool bar but I'm not sure how to insert the video link.
(I think this was covered in another forum, but I can't locate it right now.)

Because - I'll have a second S.E.5a video to post after I edit it.

BTW I really like the S.E.5a what a great plane!!

Thanks,
John

Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Welcome to WWI fighter flying fun! Looking forward to enjoying your on board videos. I can't bring anything up yet. It is hard to over do the praise this flying machine deserves! I just finished some prop tests yesterday above the 6200 feet density altitude of my "carpet runway" I used to make sure I could safely ROG off the rough ground. Performance in variable 10 MPH winds was every bit as good using a 12X4.7 SF APC prop at this altitude as it is at sea level using the 12X3.8 SF APC prop. I whimped out of flying at higher altitudes because of very poor ROG conditions.

jaybird, thanks for sharing your experiences. I modified the bottoms of my wheel struts like you did. I still have no trouble flipping over even with my wheels located further forward. I get really excited and do dumb things. The added streamer helps show off the flying wires as it is tied to them in the center where the "wires" cross.

Salute.

__________________________________________________ _
Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Jaybird

Here is the picture of the mass launch group from the Rhinebeck Jamboree. I am the fifth one in on the left side of the picture and my brother is standing with me.

Jaybird

Name:	Nl28648.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1662905  
Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] It's a joy to see such fun. I tried three or four times to share some of the fun I've been having with the SE5 since my last post here and had to gve up till now that some of the less than friendly web forces have evidently been brought to bay.
Just after ordering my first Lewis machine gun I watched a historical program that showed heavily armed WWI balloon busting fighters with four (4) machine guns on the top wings. I couldn't resist. I immediately ordered two more Lewises, they look great on the top wing.

Although the motor ran fine with the 12X4.7 SF prop down here at sea level, it was obvious when flying vertical maneuvers that less pitch was needed to get the climbing thrust I must have to thoroughly enjoy aerobatics with this flying machine. The higher pitch prop will be saved for one mile plus flying conditions.

Out of three flights yesterday I got one nice ROG landing. The machine guns held up nicely in the other two flip over incidents. I used the stock PZ Mk IX Spit battery and a 4.5 ounce 25C battery for virtually the same flying performance except for duration. The SE5's stock battery provides good scale flying performance. I crave more power than stock for my missions.

Salute.

__________________________________________________ _
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY, Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 AM
Jaybird

The leading and trailing edges of the roundels on the top wing are starting to lift off the wing surface. Does anyone have a suggested for adhearing them back onto the foam?

Jaybird
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 AM
rgspemkt

My Roundels started peeling the way you describe a couple of weeks ago. I used a Coverite edge sealing tool to stick mine back down. You have to be REALLYcareful tho' so you don't melt the Roundel film and the foam wing beneath. I set the sealer to about 50% heat, then rubbed it on the Roundel film quickly, back and forth,and only about 1/2 inch at a time. As soon as you feel the tool start to "drag", pull it off and smooth out the film. pressing it down with your thumb.

My "G" letters started pulling off, too, and I fixed them the same way.

I haven't been able to locate any information as to whether Parkzone has the "decals" available separately.

Once again, you have to work really fast to avoid melting the film and wing. How does that warning go? "Test on a small area first." <G>

Good luck.

John
Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Jaybird

Thanks John. I've written a message to Horizon/ParkZone Support describing the problem and asking for the best way to adhear them to the foam. I can't tell if they are waterslide decals or self adhesive type. Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on the subject.

I'll wait to hear from them before I try the sealing iron approach as it doesn't seem that they would use that type on a foam surface.

Jaybird
Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 AM
rgspemkt

Hi Jaybird,

No, they're definitely not Monokote or Ultracote type "films". They're not water-slide type decals either. When mine first started peeling, I pulled one edge up a little further and they are more like adhesive backed "stickers". I tested to see if heat would "reactivate" the adhesive backing and that has worked on mine, so far. If they peel up a lot again, then I suspect they'll have to be replaced. The film does tear very easily and I don't think the Roundels or letters could be removed in one piece. Early on, I thought maybe they could be fully peeled off and that maybe one of the 3M Spray Adhesives could be applied to re-stick them. That doesn't seem to be an alternative at this point.

BTW - they seem to peel off the ODgreen paint more than the off-white underside paint.

If you get a response from PZ, please let us know.

Thanks,

John
Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Jaybird

Great information John, thanks. I'll post the Horizon response as soon as I hear back.

Sure is a great flying plane. ROG's can be a challenge though! Good thing it's a tough little bird.

Jaybird
Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM
guapoman2000

Flying at a place we all affectionately call "EDWARDS" due to the large smooth Concrete surface (High School Band Practice). Somewhere in Central Florida and enjoying a very nice early Sunday morning on 09-25-2011.

Two of my local buddy's that share this wonderful hobby with me took their Park Zone SE5a up for some neat Formation Flying. Sorry I missed the joint take-off as I was flying one of my models and had to regroup and run for the Video Camcorder and this is all I was able to capture.

Hope you all enjoy the Video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLR6Xv8eN58[/youtube]
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Jaybird

From Horizon....

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.

Here is a suggestion that was offered from RC Groups:
I would be to try to mix white glue (or Weldbond which is better and available where I live) and water then paint around and under the edges. The glue will dry clear, and white glue is water based so it won't melt the foam or cause other problems.

For further assistance, please use the URL located on our website's Contact Us page. If you are referencing a past request, please include the following ticket number when prompted: 10,115

Don't forget, our phone staff is available at 1-877-504-0233, Monday through Friday, 8am-7pm CST, Saturday 8-5pm CST and Sunday Noon-5PM CST.

Thank you,
David
We help YOU have fun with Hobbies!
Horizon Hobby Product Support
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233

Jaybird

Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Your shared experiences are very much appreciated. It's funny how our reactions are virtually identical, laughing, etc., at all the same places in the video. Your streamer shows up better than mine. I will have to make a bigger one. We can't allow any misidentification to take place over the front.

Your insignias probably look better than mine. I tried the water/white glue action but finally ended up with my usual CA glue repairs.

Better salute and fly away before the "Sorry . . . timed out" enemy blows me out of the sky.

Salute.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Jaybird

I've mounted a set of Williams Brothers 3-1/8" dia Vintage wheels and small cone set screw retainers on my SE5. They are just slightly smaller in diameter than the ones with the kit and much narrower. They are also slightly heavier but since they are so near the CG I'm thinking it won't affect balance very much. I'm hoping they will roll easier through the grass than the kit ones and I think they look good too. I trimmed the wheel shafts as well to suit the new retainers. Test flight tomorrow as it's suppose to be a great weekend.

Jaybird

Name:	Sq47505.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1671039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91381.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1671040  
Old 10-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Jaybird

No test flights...too windy during the day and then I was busy in the evening when it calm down jsut before sunset.

Maybe this week. I'm thinking this winter I may replace the plastic landing gear plates with lite ply or balsa just for a different look.

Jaybird
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Jaybird

The wind finally died down just as the sun set last evening so I got a quick flight at the local school grounds. The grass was very high and thick so I took off from the pavement. As usual it rolled just a few feet and then lept into the air. It had a tendancy to want to climb into the breeze so a few clicks of down trim had it flying nicely. The white spoke covers didn't stand out in the fading light but I think they will look nice during the daytime. I landed in the tall grass and let it flop over rather than attemting the pavement with the tailskid. The last time I landed it on pavement it flipped over and chewed up the wing tips and tail.

So, now it's waiting for a a good weekend as the evenings are too late after work.

Jaybird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.