Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone S.E.5a

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone S.E.5a

Greetings,

For the life of me, I cannot understand why PZ would put such grossly over scaled landing struts on this scale plane???? These plastic struts are purely decorative and they do not contribute to the rigidity of the gear assembly. This makes the plane very toy like and although I am a fan of PZ, this design left me speechless. I plan to replace with wooden struts to make it more scale like. DP
Old 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Hi Dai Phan, great to see you still in good fighting form. If it wouldn't be too much trouble a picture of your final product would be very much appreciated. I find the apperance of the landing gear strut system using a colored soda straw on the axle to be more or less harmonous with full scale pictures that I have seen. I found the stock axle cover to be inefficient after moving the wheels more forward to help with landings.

I hope you can come up with a solution that you can accept. The PZ SE5 is just too neat not to enjoy!

__________________________________________________ _
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Jaybird

Short video on YouTube of mine. It includes a "scale landing" at the end...also known as a nose-over!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOSSVnhqAB4

Jaybird
Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 PM
mad web tv scientist

Thanks for the realistic video. I would have said something before now but needed to get some other things done first. The pictures and videos on our thread really add a lot.

You might find it hard to believe but I had to consult some past information on our thread to know what battery I needed to peak charge for prefered SE5 performance. I am having a little trouble landing properly with my new Spitfire Mk IX and thought practicing with my slightly modified SE5 might help. Larger diameter wheels on the SE5 might make it a nice landing machine. I am still looking for wheels that might help.

I finally settled on my modified PZ 109 for practice sessions that has its wheels so far forward that I still suffer from some instability as I am coming in for a landing. I adjusted the wheels back some and will probably continue to use it as my main practice landing trainer. It has never flipped over on landing, not so for everything else I own with wheels.

Keep 'em flying.

Salute.

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

P.S. Sometimes the URL must be clicked on again when the "Oops! . . ." pops up, sorry about that - occupational hazard.

P.P.S. Flying at the front has really been a harrowing experience for my otherwise fine tuned smileys. Please check with my wingmen to see if what I have been observing during this last period of almost continuous combat is real or is it an allusion created by the forces of evil. The question, therefore, is are those "Xes" appearing in place of my "action smileys" obvious to others, and have they been noticed changing back and fourth to obviously spook our forces? Thank you in advance for your cooperation in defeating the enemy.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Jaybird

Flew my SE5 today at the very end of New years Day att he KVMA field. I arrived about 3 p.m. and had a little over an hour until the sun went down. I flew my Goldberg Extra 300 and and Seagull electric Extra 300 as well. Great fun! The snow had melted and weather was great...but rain and wind are due tommorrow and back into the cold temps. The SE5 is such a great flying plane. I have a 1/6 scale Top Flite SE5a that's almost ready to maiden after repairs, but it may have to wait until Spring!

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94048.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1708343  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM
mad web tv scientist

Good show, will be interested in learning about how your new big SE5 does. My SE5 flies so well that it inflated my opinion of my abilities so much that I succeded in crashing a brand new PZ Mk IX Spit on it's maiden flight. Experiments with a new updated PZ Mk IX and others have prevented me from enjoying the SE5 as much as it deserves.

As an indicator of the joy and the pain characteristic of our modeling activities, and the uncertainty of whether or not my favorite "Action Smileys" will work consistently; they will now officially be part of a "signature" until futher notice. At the moment they appear only as "red Xes." After the culture war is won the Smileys will surely work more consistently than has been the case for an embarrassingly long time.

Salute.

__________________________________________________ ___
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

P.S. Hooray! The Smileys just started working again, no, the culture war hasn't been won yet. However, the victory is much closer now than ever before in history!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Jaybird

Here is my 1/6th scale Top Flite SE5a. It was built by another person many years ago and then I purchased it about six years ago. I then crashed it and it's been with another club member for the last three years and then I got it back and completed the repairs.

Jaybird

Name:	Nl28545.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1709035  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
mad web tv scientist

It will be interesting to learn about your observations about the differences between the performance of your different scale machines.

I am charging batteries for flights today and maybe again tomorrow if the weather holds. I finally added thinner front wheels like you have done. Mine are 3.5 inch diameter. I drilled/carved out the hubs and trimmed some of the rubber off the tires to bring the weight down to less than an ounce difference between the stock tires and my larger, thinner new ones. I am also experimenting with high/low rate and expo to allow for maximum up elevator deflection angle to help keep the tail down at moment of touch down. The wheel hubs with holes on the outside and spokes on the inside with translucent red covering combined with new red and white streamers, my SE5 is now called "Three Ring Circus SE5.

I hope to to be able to provide you with a good SitRep (situation report) after today's battle.

Salute.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Jaybird

Well I did manage to get a maiden flight in on my larger 1/6 scale SE5a last weekend. My report would be that once in the air and trimmed out, it flies very much the smaller electric one. It's pretty stable with a gentle power off stall and the power on ( but at idle) landing was pretty easy to manage with NO nose over. The first take-off on the other hand was almost a disaster as it hit a bump on the frozen grass and snow covered field which bumped it into the air just as I cut the power and rolled hard left. I added power and right aileron and it rolled hard right just a few feet off the ground. I went to full power (Saito 80 four-stroke) and it climbed away and I managed to get the wings level. It took a lot of right aileron trim and right rudder trim to get it to fly in a straight line, but as I mentioned, once it was trimmed the balance and elevator control was very nice. Most of our snow is gone but there is a storm on the way.

Whew!

Jaybird

Name:	If10492.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	1712513   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42951.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1712514  
Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Jaybird

Here are the two of them together...not a huge difference really. I'm building a Lewis gun mount for the larger one so it will be ready for a model festival at Owls Head Transportation Museum in March. I plan to take both to Rhinebeck this year as well.

Jaybird

Name:	Om32790.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1712521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66881.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1712522  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
mad web tv scientist

Interesting report.

My SE5 flew yesterday and the day before. Her ROG performance was great on the first two landings. On the next landing one of my beautified wheels broke. I spent a lot of time driving around on some grassy areas with a much greater amount of available up elevator deflection angle.

Even with stock wheels the extra elevator power made the slightly modified landing gear perform ROG every bit as well or better than my slightly modified Spit that performed ROG missions very well yesterday except for its first landing that ran off the "runway" and (blush) flipped over - no damage.

I was testing my heaviest 30C battery that is only .5 oz. heavier than the stock battery used in the Spit and found the ship was noticably too nose heavy in the air. The stock battery works perfectly with the F4F and P-51 when they are used as trainers. The SE5 flying machine did touch down excessively hard but the right axle should not have broken like the left one did earlier as reported. It will be repaired like the left one was.

TAKE BACK THE SKY! Are we having fun or what?

FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY -
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

just got my new s.e.5a today, beautiful plane i will say for sure. i flew a fellow flying group members s.e.5a about 5 times before buying one myself. this is where it all turned bad...

i spent the afternoon putting it together and getting it ready while waiting on the 5mph winds to calm to 0 about 1 1/2 hours before dark. i bound it and programmed the same settings my fellow flyer uses on his. when it came time to fly, i did my control and range test, taxi'd to the runway, gave full up elevator to counteract the grass, and took off.

the plane flew beautifully until it reached about 50ft of altitude where i lost all control of elevator and rudder, ending in a seemingly soft crash. when i got to the plane i realized soft was not the fitting word, fuselage broken in half as well as lower wing broken in half, all plastic uprights between wings sheared off.

i left the battery in and tried my controls again after setting the fuselage straight, no rudder or elevator. took the bottom wing off to see that those two channels were unplugged, and the aileron and throttle were barely hanging on. the only plug fairly well seated was the bind harness.

has anyone else had this same issue? very frustrating! i will call them in the morning to see what can be done. the scary part is this is the second plane ive lost right after takeoff- the first being the original p-51 they offered that horizon replaced for me due to a "faulty receiver".
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
mad web tv scientist

destroyer, sorry to learn about you living up to your name with the SE5. Actually your report is very valuable for all of us. Believe me I will check and make any needed fixes to see to it that my plugs stay secure, I promise.

One thing I left out of my flying machine is a "voltage protector" (SPM 1600 Spektrum Voltage Protector). I will check the receiver very carefully just to be sure the plugs are absolutely secure when the ship is opened up for the installation of the voltage protector.

I shall return.

I'm wondering if a slightly out of balance prop might have aggravated the situation. Maybe an unusual resonance was also involved. Please let us know how this highly unusual disaster happened. PZ will surely make everything right. I am excitedly looking forward to a new Albatross next week and hope to learn that you will be ready "FOR the FUN - FOR THE GLORY." The ad in Model Aviation magazine is really fun. If you haven't seen it yet you must hunt one down.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) # 64 - Post # 407 Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

i was very honestly upset, (sad, not mad) to see it go down and be totally helpless as it really is a very nice plane (and i too will be adding the albatross to the hangar). had it not been for my micro trojan, and my battle tested typhoon 3d, i would have made a trip to fly for nothing.

yes please check your equipment, that small of a mistake on the part of the assembler caused some downturned eyes at the field today... i will keep you all posted on what the horizon folks have to say.

(have always had good luck with them)
Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM
destroyer_of_the_blade

spoke with horizon this morning, not very pleased to say the least... the fellow told me that he would send me a new receiver if i sent mine in and he would send me a new fuselage. that would leave me with about $80 worth of parts to buy as well. i asked to speak to the person above him, this is where he got a snotty tone with me and said "sir i am the warranty department, there is noone above me".

i reminded him that i spent $249+tax for a brand new, very nice looking plane that didnt make it 100ft due to a problem from one of the assemblers in their factory. i didnt want a busted up, and fixed plane i want the new one i payed good money for. he said the best they could do is have me send it in but chances are i wont get a new plane, they will fix mine and charge me. im going to send mine back to them, but ill be damned if im going to pay for it to be repaired...
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 AM
mad web tv scientist

destroyer, sorry to hear about your experience. I guess I will go ahead and pick up my Albatross next week since I wouldn't want to let my FHS down. My next fighter will be ordered from someone else.

After doing some checking it turns out that my SE5 receiver and plugs are in great shape. I used a flashlight to inspect the plugs, etc., through the battery compartment, and have decided to tap into the right aileron red and brown wires near the fuselage to install my voltage protector. It will have to pass as an "oil cooler" or something located on the bottom of the plane. Turns out that my machine actually weighs 36 ounces and with it's APC SF 12 X 3.7 prop it has great performance using my higher "C" Spitfire battery. So there would be no need for more power on the Albatross as indicated earlier. Because future "new technology" batteries will be so light and powerful all weight reports will be of the empty airplane weight.

Gotta go.

Okay, I will try this again. Just lost everything composed after the above info. My PC security "wingmen" may help me accomplish my mission this next time.

Fighter planes are making great attention getting teaching aids. Efforts to undermine that fact and the unstoppable behind the scenes revolutionary science and technology is being discovered and exposed. There is good evidence that our "game" of escaping into fighter plane fantasy while dealing with hacker(s) who are being caught by the way, is slowly but surely forcing the "wheels of progress" to move ever so surely above and beyond anything dreamed possible by earthbound mankind! Truth is impossible to suppress! Please click on my included URL to see how we are a part of a better future - with or without modeling companies.

Sometimes it takes a lot of time but as can be seen above I can usually eventually accomplish my mission.

Out.

[]

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) # 64 - Post # 407 Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling
Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
destroyer_of_the_blade

after sitting and boiling over the weekend, i called them again with hopes of talking them into selling me a PNP at a highly discounted rate. i explained my situation and that the last fellow told me i was pretty much S.O.L. which was met by the nice fellow i had gotten this time around telling me that Horizon doesnt treat its customers like that and that he would get me whatever i needed to get back in the air at no charge. so he is sending me basically an entire airframe, i just hope the bare fuselage has the plastic pieces already on it, as some of them were apparently put on before the two halves were glued together.

so... here i am dismantling my crashed plane to reassemble with new pieces as they arrive. then i will glue the old fuse back together and put it on the shelf.

a few questions: i am most likely going to reinforce both the new fuse and the crashed fuse where the weak point is right in front of the pilot, this will add weight aft of CG. should i add weight to the front or try to take weight away somewhere in the rear to counter this?

has anyone put a power 10 in one of these yet? how would it react if i did?

what are the common first mods for performance and longevity?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
mad web tv scientist

destroyer, great to see you not destroyed! In fact your perseverance is not only inspirational, your experience demonstrates why PZ has so many loyal customers.

Thanks to your report I removed my modified "removable pilot" and installed some reinforcing carbon fiber tow material on each side of the fuselage at that weak spot you discovered. I will also remove the pilot again and install the voltage protector inside the fuselage. The pilot is adjusted so he can aim through the gun sight with his right eye. I use velcro around the pilot and cockpit area in order get the pilot into firing position.

(Gotta get the above posted before I can continue.)

Structural mods includes adding carbon fiber tow material to the wing cut out areas in addition to the above mentioned areas. I added green "Fusion fishing line flying wires" mainly for looks but there is a definite structural benifit in the line used to connect the top of the vertical stab all the way around the horizontal stab tips and connected on the bottom of the fuselage fin area.

Since the SE5 plastic struts cracked after some rough landing experiences, my Albatross struts will be carbon fiber reinforeced, and because the flying wires are not as visible as I perfer, my newest bird will use "FLUORESCENT FLAME GREEN Fireline" on the wings very much like what can be seen on my CALL TO GLORY web site SE5. This is the same line used on my "MP 707" (Modeling Promoter 707 square inches wing area) Control-line Precision Aerobatics airplane video taped flying a book-pattern, complete with demonstrable 5-7 foot radius corners on 50 foot official FAI length lines at around 5 second lap speeds. Obvious cornering performance is carfully documented on the sixth page of my "LITTLEST OJ" web site using "freeze frame" pictures and commentary. http://community.webtv.net/RICHARDPORTER2/LITTLESTOJ (If this URL is blocked, simply typing the title LITTLEST OJ into GOOGLE brings the web site right up for me. Evidently, there is something about my experiences with CLPA that "needs" to be suppressed. It will be interesting to find out if others are having the same problem as me.)

Past reporting describes flying performance mods that I am very satisfied with for up to two mile altitudes. That motor in our SE5s is really very special compaired to other 480s.

My ship required a small amount of right tip weight and about one half (1/2) oz weight in the tail. I highly recommend carbon fiber reinforcement glued with CA glue and Baking Soda for light weight strength that requires little or no counter weight to trim the machine out.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) # 64 - Post # 207 Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling

PS PC has been working really well for the past few days! Spooky. Not really, those red Xes are still present on my screen.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
mad web tv scientist

My heavily armed observation balloon busting modified SE5 with three (3)Lewis machine guns with ammo drums located on the top wing performed really well yesterday. Wind was 5-10 MPH and deceitfully directionally variable. Its new larger 3.5 inch diameter thinner ALBATROS wheels cost me only .5 ounce of extra ugly weight and may be providing a little extra landing performance.

The grass was being mowed on the other side of the soccer field complex and hadn't been mowed on my side yet which made ROG operations a bit tenuous. First take off was aborted. Full up elevator on low rate with power applied more quickly on the next flight blasted the ship into the air nicely. I do love the extra thrust provided by the 12X3.8 APC SF prop and a 2200mAh 25C battery. Just after lift off it is so comforting to zoom up away from any annoying ground clutter.

As the ship was coming in for a landing the wind had shifted 90 degrees and as she got close I tried in vain to maneuver her away from my position. To avoid a collision I lost concentration while quickly moving out of the way of certain disaster. This resulted in a bad landing with the flying machine ending up on its nose (blush). The next two landings were very nice. I found that high rate with lots of expo works great on take off as well as landing. No need to get so excited that switching can be too dificult to perform. It's obvious who needs more practice when anexity prevents obvious control inputs, right?

Must break off combat for now and report on a model of arguably WWII's greatest fighter in the European theater.

SALUTE - (can't say Out - no radio).

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416

__________________________________________________ ____
SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) THE MALWARE PROBLEM ON FB IS NOW GONE. Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts. "mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.

PS I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THOSE 1-2 HOUR (or longer) FLIGHTS USING THOSE FABULOUS THORIUM PLASMA BATTERIES THAT CAN LIVE LONGER THAN ME!!!

PPS Clicking "Rating" on page one of this forum brings up a large group of Ace fighters.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
JoeES

Hello Mad Web,
Mt first post here. I just purchased a PZ SE5a and was wondering if the added wire rigging affected the flight characteristics of the aircraft?
JoeES

Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 PM
mad web tv scientist

Hey Joe, great purchase! I couldn't tell any negative effects from flying with the fabulous Spider wire fishing line rigging on any of my WWI fighters. At the moment the SE5 is my very best flying WWI flying machine. Its low aspect ratio wings also contributes to its rugged damage resistent structure.

Like other PZ planes that I am not flying at the moment, it now flys so well that I am spending all my time testing and bringing other fighters and my own skill up to speed. Eventually it will fly and get the attention it so richly deserves.

In the meantime remember to rubber neck around a lot to keep from getting a very nasty surprise. We have a war to win and must strive as hard as we can to keep our fellow fighter pilots alive. The average life expentecy in our sector on the front is frighteningly low.

Remember we don't have radio communication or the web while we fly and fight in the air heroically during WWI. So, the best we can do is to maybe SALUTE. So, please consider yourself saluted as I leave the war torn skies over the front.

SALUTE.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416

____________________________________ FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

___________________________________ SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) THE MALWARE PROBLEM ON FB IS NOW GONE. Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts.

"mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.