Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

1st Electric for Experienced Gas Guy?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

1st Electric for Experienced Gas Guy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Ernest-T
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Electric for Experienced Gas Guy?

I've been flying gas and glow planes for 17 years, but have no experience with electrics. I'm looking for an aerobatic park/backyard type plane that I can literally fly in my backyard (it is a large back yard). I currently have to drive 25 minutes to the nearest flying field, and that ends up being an all day adventure. I'm looking for a quick fix for my flying bug that won't kill the whole day. I'm not planning on giving up my gas engines, just supplementing with electric.

I would like a plane that is fairly aerobatic to hopefully improve/challenge my flight skills. I would prefer a kit to an ARF. Any recommendations as to plane/motor/battery/setup or web sites that cover this stuff for an "electric novice" would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:16 AM
west black

Default RE: 1st Electric for Experienced Gas Guy?

check out mountainmodels.com or hobby-lobby.com for kits.i personally like the gee bee from hobby-lobby.com(but it is a ARF) and the flashback(kit) from mountainmodels.com.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:47 AM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

A lot depends on the size of your yard. I have safely flown a Switchback (Sport ship) and a Tantrum (3D ship) in a 1 acre front yard. Now that I have moved, I fly them at the school yard. Both are Mountain Model planes and are kits. Both preform very well on the recommended setup, and are insane on a brushless motor and Li-Polys (unlimited verticle). After switching to a BL and Li-Polys, I will never go back.

Jason
http://www.bugleboy.rchomepage.com
Old 12-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Some of the planes from Mountain Models should work well provided you have a very large back yard.
However, my favorite back yard flyer is the Mini IFO.

Jason
Old 12-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Ernest-T

Thanks for the information guys. I like the looks of the MiniFlash kit from Mountain Models. Any experience with this plane/kit?

What about the recommended motor (GWS EPS 300 C-D)? Could you give me better options, or is this a good one to start with. The brushless motors are out of my price range for now, but I wouldn't mind spending a few more bucks if I can get more bang for it.

Next question is which battery type NiMh or Lithium, and what size for the MiniFlash? I could use my existing charger with NiMh, but as I understand it the Lithium batteries are lighter. Any thoughts/recommendations?

I have Airtronics radio equipment. Can I buy a micro-receiver on the right frequency and use that?

Any other stuff that I need?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Dzlstunter

You probably don't need a super-light receiver for this application. If you order from Doug at Mountain Models, he stocks Berg receivers suitable for use with Airtronics at a reasonable price. Incidentally, he can (and WILL) give you good advice about the rest of the components. He answers his email, too. Good luck, Dzl
Old 12-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

If you yard is big enough I would recommend a Zagi XS. I fly glow, too, but for some quick fun I really like the Zagi.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:33 AM
bugleboy

The MiniFlash is a nice plane. Doug even has a couple of nice videos of it on his website. I only have the Switchback and the Tantrum, so that is all I can give first hand information on. All of his kits are laser cut and simply fall together. All of his planes are very enjoyable builds.

Jason
http://www.bugleboy.rchomepage.com
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 AM
Jason Beach

I've never flown a Miniflash, but have seen lots of vids and spoken with quite a few owners. The general concesus seems to be that it is a great flyer. It fits well between pattern flying and 3D flying.
The stock motor will fly the plane well, but won't give you outstanding performance. If you want good performance brushless is the way to go. I believe that the MP Jet Brushless is about as cheap as it gets, but still over $100 for motor and controler. I personally prefer the Astro 010 in a GWS gearbox. Though it doesn't provide as much power as the MP Jet, it's much lighter and much more efficient, and about twice the power of the GWS 350.

Li-poly batteries will help keep the weight down and usually give you more runtime, but are more expensive. If you're running under 10amps the Etec 3s 1200mah pack is a popular choice, but if you're running over 10amps look at spending $50 or more for a pack.
If you go with Li-poly, do yourself a favor and get a good charger that can charge 1, 2, and 3 cell packs.
Nimh are a good compromise between power and weight. For applications up to 10amps the KAN 650 packs are popular, and for 10-20amps the KAN 1050s are a good choice.

Micro recievers are available that are compatible with all of the popular radio manufacturers (JR, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics).
My Berg5 has been a rock solid rx.

Luckily, Doug has just about everything you'll need. Etec or Thunder Power Li-poly, KAN packs, Berg rx's, MP Jet brushless motors, brushless ESC's, etc. So you can get most if not all of what you need in 1 order, and Dzlstunter is correct. If you have a question Doug will help you with whatever he can. He is moving this week, so you might not get an answer right away, but you will get an answer.

I hope this helped.

Jason
Old 12-22-2003, 03:57 PM
cwat212

be very careful!!!

I have been flying glow planes for years and have recently started experimenting with electrics and now I find I rarely start my glow planes!

The GWS Warbirds are tons of fun and fly well. I have the Zero and love it.

BUT....

I built one of these type planes similar to what is available on here:

www.foamyfactory.com

All the information is on his website and.....WOW, they will fly straight up, hover with 1/2 throttle. 3D and beyond. They will really improve your skills.

The new battery technology is amazing. Lithium Poly batteries are worth the investment.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:02 PM
bugleboy

I rarely start my glow anymore, either. With a brushless MM Tantrum, I don't really feel as much of a need anymore.

Jason
Old 12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Ernest-T

Thanks for the info guys.

I thought I'd start out with NiMh batteries, since I can use my existing charger. Can LiPo batteries be fast charged or do you have to carry lots of spares for more flight time?

Is there a significant power improvement with the brushless motors (significant enough to justify their expense)?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2003, 07:38 PM
evilcuban

I don't know if LiPOs can be fast charged, but there is a review of a nice charger from AstroFlight in this month's edition of [link=http://www.flyrc.com/]Fly RC[/link]. At $130 bucks it's not real cheap. LiPOs will save you a little weight and you can typically get more flight time with equal power outputs from them, but they aren't cheap and are still up and coming in a lot of areas of the market.

In regards to brushless motors, yeah, they're that much better to justify the price difference. If I were building a kit, I'd use one. I'm just a newbie, though.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Jason Beach

Don't try to fast charge Li-poly batts. Only charge them on a Li-poly charger, they are a fire hazard if not handled properly.

There will usually be a significant power increase with a brushless motor. There are other differences to justify the cost though. These are motor life and maintenance. A brushless motor needs almost no maintenance, just check and clean the bearings every once in a while and the motor should last indefinately. I replaced my EPS300 motor every month or so in my Switchback before I went brushless, and now I've been running brushless long enough that I'd have bought enough replacement motors to buy a couple brushless setups.

Jason
Old 12-23-2003, 11:07 AM
cwat212

I would suggest you start out with NiMh batteries because you can buy good packs for about $15 - $20 and can use the charger you already own.

As stated above - Lithium Poly batteries cost more and need special chargers.
LiPos are charged diffently than NiMh batteries. I charge mine at 1C max. It takes longer to charge LiPos for safety reasons - I can top my 3cell 1200mah Lipos in about 30 min to 45 minutes.

They do last alot longer than the same Nimh batteries.

My 9.6volt 650mah NiMh 2/3AA batteries weigh about 4oz. and my 3cell 11.1volt 1200mah lipos weigh about 1.7 oz.