Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Zaig Fixx Lovers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Neocypher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaig Fixx Lovers!

For those of you that love the Zagi Fixx but hate the puny motor system on it read on.

I have had several of these and like many others was very disapointed with its VERY wimpy performance (if it ould even be called that). So I have been experimenting with many different power systems. I thought of using brushed systems like the person that used a GWS300 system but I relized that I wanted something that would be as special as the plane itself was. I tested Astroflight direct drive 010, 020, Hacker B20-15L (4.4-1 planatary gear box) and Razor 2500A (4.4-1 planatary gearbox) motors and found that all but the Astro 010 worked exremly well. The Astro 020 is the one I finally settled with driving a Zagi prop directly. It pulls at most 16 amps and I am using a Kokam 1500mah 3S1P pack on it. This pack is rated at 12 amps continous and 15 amps max so it is a little short on amps but it goes so fast you never have to go over 1/2 throtle and you get nearly unlimited verticle at 3/4 throtle. This pack fits just right in the battery bay with some roo to spare. You wil have to add about 3/4 oz in weight to the nose but with the thrust that this puts out it is no big deal at all. a better choice might be a thunder power 2100mah 3s1p pack as I think it would handle the amps but it might be a little large but could be made to fit. Another option is to use the Kokam's 340mah shd packs in a 3s3p option but you will limit your flight time. This plane just outright ocks with any of the above setups (not including the astro 010). Good luck and if you have any questions give me a ring
Old 05-01-2004, 11:31 PM
supa phatty J

Default RE: Zaig Fixx Lovers!

a friend of mine has a zagi that he is learnign to fly. i personally think he is taking his progress too slow, because a zagi wing is made to FLY.

check out this micro turbine here: http://cpl.usc.edu/eschuste/turbine.htm http://cpl.usc.edu/eschuste/
once he gets taht smallest micro turbine running without any problems, he plans on throwing it on a zagi wing. won't that be fun!
Old 05-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Neocypher

Even that smallest turbine will be too large and heavy for the Zagi Fixx. It will have to be at least a 10oz motor when complete and besides it would be WY to much power for the delicate wing. Mine was destroyed due to to much power and that was from a Astroflight 020 direct drive running a 5X5 carbon prop. It just disintigrated in the air and pretty much turned to dust when it hit the ground. I wish you luck though. This plane would be excelent if it was made of stronger stuff. I would love to have one made of fiberglass/carbonfiber sheeting on foam....it would be an execlent flier then.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:33 PM
supa phatty J

i'm sure ewald will make structural modifications where necessary (he knows quite a bit about laying up composites, he has done all the composite stuff for his harrier on the main page)...and his smallest micro turbine is VERY light. it will be the smallest and lightest in the world i believe.

but, i have seen the fixx in person, i don't see how it would necessarily disintegrate in the air. how did you accomplish this? i can understand it getting smashed to smitherines in a crash, but that's the way it goes when you fly jets. ewald is an experience flyer and i'm sure he shouldn't have much trouble.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Neocypher

The Zagi Fixx is a parkflyier not a jet. It is made of "Z foam" which is quite brittle (for lack of a better word) and breaks very easy. Mine practicaly split at all seams. The main seam cracked in mid air s well as the hinges split which mae the plane uncontrolable and it was dusted when it hit the ground. My point is unless he covers this entire plane or make a mold to work from it will not hold up....it's not meant to. If he makes his own then it may work and I would be intrested in more info on it. Thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 07:49 PM
No Stick

ORIGINAL: Neocypher

Mine was destroyed due to to much power and that was from a Astroflight 020 direct drive running a 5X5 carbon prop. It just disintigrated in the air and pretty much turned to dust when it hit the ground. I wish you luck though. This plane would be excelent if it was made of stronger stuff.
First you recommend an Astro 020 direct drive and then you tell us it is too much power. I have a Zagi Fixx powered by an Astro 010 in a modified GWS 300 2.8:1 gearbox running an APC 8x6 prop Etech 1200 mAh 3S and over 16 oz thrust. Sweet combo. Does unlimited outside and inside loops. Turns on a dime. Crashed four times split down the middle and it still flys great.

Ed
Old 05-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Neocypher

the astro 020 works great as long as you make SURE that you have used enough "glue" on all seems and use "pined" hinges (nylon type with a metal hinge) and are a very good pilot. If you do not do these things it will be torn apart. Now I am speaking of a direct drive if this was not know.