Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:29 PM
PMDrive1061

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

The Venom seems to last about three times as long as the stocker. It's more expensive to be sure, but the longevity more than makes up for the cost.

I had the same problem with the firewall pulling away from the fuselage. Since I'm flying a Cub with a custom paint job that I didn't feel like duplicating on a new fuse, I went the epoxy route after the CA kept breaking loose. Went one better, in fact. I used a bit of the 1/4-ounce fiberglass cloth that I used to successfully reinforce the cowl of my Carl Goldberg Chipmunk 400.

Not only did I repair the fuselage, I restored the proper thrust angle and it's stronger than ever. It's always been a tad nose-heavy due to the Styrofoam block I used for reinforcement when I did up the plane about a year ago, so looping with an 8x6 prop isn't too easy. However, this plane flies better than new in regular straight and level flight. I highly recommend that everyone do up their own planes this way since firewall flex, tearing and loss of thrust angle are all eliminated.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
hray2

Here is my first home made pinion puller for the 370 stock motor. i will try to include photos..it is made form a 3/8' bolt and hex nut, a nail, two small screws, drive pin( nail or drill bit) and a strip of sheet metal... i shaped the sheetmetal (just thin enought to fit between the pinion and motor body) and drilled and tapped the hex nut, drilled bolt for drive pin and handle....using material i had on hand it works well..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95955.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	480008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29510.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	480009  
Old 06-20-2006, 05:50 AM
zumanity

can someone please tell me what the cell size is in a parkzone super decathlon battery pack..?? the (pack) is 8.4v....600 mAH........but i want to build a few new packs with more mAH cells..im not sure if it is the same as the cub....however there are a lot of similar attributes between both planes.........any help will be appreciated
thanks people!![8D]
Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
hray2

Hi..the batteries , the motor and gearbox are identical and interchangeable...
Old 06-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Fort Knox

Hey guys and gals,

Just got my new J-3 in the mail. I am hoping that this thread comes back to life. I am in the proces of strengthening the wing where the rubber bands dig in. I am gonna order some parts too. New props, bigger tires, tail wheel, Venom motor, and all of that fun stuff. Anyways, I hope that there are some people out there who will chat on this forum still. I had a blast reading the whole thing from start to finish and now I want more! I have been reading the Shun Da Cub thread but it is a little different. Anyways, chat it up folks!

Kyle
Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 AM
PMDrive1061

As "Glacier Girl" is fond of saying - besides the fact he's neither a girl nor a glacier - is: WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION.

I've just trashed my latest "real" airplane (read: balsa) thanks to a stuck or misadjusted aileron servo that manifested itself immediately after takeoff. The crash wiped out the entire plane. If this was the Cub, it would have been back in the air for less than $20.

I'm flying on a salvaged, repaired and reinforced fuselage that's more than a year old and is the veteran of countless flights. Ditto the wing which was new at the time. This little plane still flies like a dream and looks even better than stock in its authentic Army Air Corps livery. It's definitely not a concours d'elegance winner up close, but it looks marvelous in the air and the "patina" just adds to the realism. Only repairs I've done in that time have been in replacing two gearboxes and two cowls due to very minor mishaps and two sets of tailfeathers simply because they've worn out at the hinges. It's also been through one Venom Fireball and a small handful of E-flite and GWS props. Oh, and the firewall was tearing off but it's been reattached and greatly strengthened with a bit of fiberglass as I mentioned in a previous post.

I've pretty much given up on getting it to do ROG takeoffs, but it's so easy to launch by hand that it really doesn't matter.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto what you said, like your favorite pair of boots or chair or whatever.
She's not the prettiest girl in the fleet, but she is the most dependable, comfortable, and best flying one of the bunch.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:02 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

My J-3 Cub looks brand new, except for a small crack on the cowl -- it's underneath, so it does not show at all. However, it's my third one! The other two were demolished during a two year period of learning, experimenting, and doing crazy stuff along with a couple of equipment malfunctions.

I must say, it is still a thrill to fly this little Cub. It looks great in the air and it is a very dependable, tough little plane. The rest of my fleet: Parzone Typhoon, Parkzone Stryker, Art-Tech Cessna 182, E-flite Ultimate FX. Most of the time I end up flying the Cub at the end to kind of relax before I pack up and go home.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:46 PM
PMDrive1061

Right on. Here in the desert, it's been 110 just about every day for the past couple of weeks. So, if I want to get a "flying fix" for now, I either get up really early to head to take the Cub to the field (since I am now down one airplane) or I take out my Blade CP chopper in the late afternoon out in front of the house. Six months after getting it, I've replaced just about every part on the thing including a 4-in-1 unit. Upgrading to li-pos, SuperSkids and Plasti-Blades make for a better hovering machine - almost ready for forward flight - but all this "bling" makes for a whole plethora of new problems, including the occasional, unexpected and very violent boom strike on landing. Still trying to figure out how to avoid this. In short, whenever I fly this little monster, I can pretty much count on replacing parts no matter how careful I am.

I am convinced that the ParkZone J-3 Cub is the perfect radio controlled model airplane. It isn't the fastest bird in the sky...but I really don't care. I take it out, I bring it down, no problems. What few problems do arise cost the monetary equivalent of piggy bank savings and the temporal equivalent of a coffee break. The radio glitches on the early models seem to be history and whatever problems do arise are immediately addressed by Horizon.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 AM
brandesmd

Hello everyone. First post here. I am a new rc pilot and was very pleased to find so much information about my first rc plane. My cub was a father's day gift and I must say it has been one of the coolest gifts I have ever recieved. I have wanted to get into this hobby since I was a kid and here I am almost 30 yrs old before I finally get the chance. I must say though that I felt like a kid pulling my cub out of the box. I have gained valuable information and advice from reading this forum from start to finish and it has led to a very enjoyable maiden flight. Today was my first time to fly the cub until the battery went dead and I must say that because of everyone's advice it went very well. I had no experience in rc flight and I was a little nervous about going at it alone. My first few flights lasted about 30 seconds each usually ending with the cub upside down on the ground. The only damage I have done so far was one broken prop and some little creases in the tips of the wing but nothing major. What a tough little airplane. I expected her to be very fragile but I augered her into the ground at full throttle the first flight out of the box and all I did was break the prop. Of course I got scared and packed it up and went home to read some more on the forum before trying again. Today all of my patience finally paid off. I have had the cub for a little over two weeks and today was the first full flight with no mishaps. I have to say that I am definately hooked! I was so giddy when I came back home that my wife wondered if I had went and got high instead of went flying. lol. I have to say flying the cub was a joy. I look forward to many more flights and hopefully some better landings. Thanks to everyone for all the good advice and I hope to read many more threads here in the future. The cub has definately hooked another newbie! Thanks all!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:04 AM
jmir

Brandesmd,

Welcome to a wonderful hobby. You are lucky. The Cub was my first airplane also. That was last year and this year I will be 65 years old. You are only 30!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

brandesmd,
Congrats and welcome. You will soon find out it will become an addiction.
I started with the Cub, and look at me now. I have Strykers that will clock 100+++mph.
5 1/2', yes foot long F16's, Started into EDF's, and twins. On the build bench now is a 90" P38 Lightning. It sure is fun, and it sure can get expensive. LOL

Oh and if anyone is looking to step up their Cub, take a look at E-Flites new 62" version.
Can be set up for floats. Part # EFL4000, $139.00
Old 07-03-2006, 11:16 AM
brrzee

Just wondering if anyone uses a GWS prop on the cub?...if so what size? I see PZ has a high pitch prop but my LHS does not sell them. They do carry a good selection of GWS props though.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 AM
shovelheadfreak

i have 1 with the stock motor and use a gws 8-6, and 1 with a venom and use a gws 9-6 in that one. both fly very well on these props and when you buy them 6 at a time you save big dollars over the PZ price..jim
Old 07-03-2006, 09:51 PM
brandesmd

Hey Fort Knox,
I was just wondering if you had gotten the cub up for her maiden flight yet and if so how did it go? I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

has anyone done snap rolls with the cub? I was wondering if she would have to have ailerons to perform them. I did my first loop today and it didn't go very well. I thought I was plenty high but ended up about 6 feet off the deck at the bottm of the loop. that puckered my butthole a little bit, too close of a call. what is the best technique for doing loops? should I totally kill the throttle at the top of the loop?

any other helpful hints on aerobatics would be appreciated. I am debating about adjusting the throw on horns I just don't know which hole to go to. right now they are on the outermost holes and I don't want to go to far and not be able to handle it.

thanks again to everyone for all the good advice. Happy Flying!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 AM
brandesmd

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the stock motor after only a couple of flights. On the second flight my motor started making a high pitched whining sound and only spins the prop at about 1/4 speed with no power. The plane has not been wrecked so I know the damage was not caused by a crash. nothing is bent or anything and I was wondering if there was a chance that I got a bad motor out of the box. Has this been a problem with Parkzone motors? I know that the stock motors are cheap but I don't feel that I should have to buy a new one after only 2 flights. I have emailed Parkzone and am waiting for a response. I have no experience with their customer service and am wondering if they will send me a new motor. What has been yall's experience with their customer service? I would appreciate any advice you guys could give on this subject.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Crash One
My Feedback: (42)

Have you checked to see if maybe the white spur gear has come loose from the prop shaft?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
jmir

Sounds like the white gear is slipping on the shaft or the pinion on the motor came loose.

As to snap rolls, I have not been able to do them with the Cub. Loops, rolls, spinning dives, inverted flight (for about 10-15 seconds) are not problem. I hook my pushrods to the hole closest in for maximum throw.

I use stock motor with the high pitch Parzone prop and does very well with this set up.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 PM
PMDrive1061

The problem is the spur gear spinning on the shaft. No question. This is a very common problem and is just as easily repaired. The shaft and its hardware are sold as a service part and will set you back a whopping two bucks. Just make sure that you orient the washers and spacers properly. The most critical one is the washer between the spur and the gearbox bushing. Use RadioShack lube gel or Associated Stealth diff lube to grease it up.

It'll do rudder rolls without much problem if you have enough airspeed. Loops aren't possible from straight and level and don't expect large, graceful loops since it simply doesn't have the power, but if you goose it into a power dive and pull back, round and round she'll go. I stay on the power throughout the loop.

GO DISCOVERY!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
jbajor

Just picked up a cub for my second plane... taught myself to fly on the slo-v.... When I unpacked the plane the electronics were rattling around in the fuselage. Is it supposed to be retained by the little plastic tabs on the bottom of the compartment? If so, it seems like it is asking to break off if I nose in... what do you recommend? Foam?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM
jbajor

When it comes time to replace the tale assembly on the cub, how is it attached to the fuselage? It almost looks like it is glued on? Double stick tape?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:38 PM
9thLife

quick question- has anyone noticed the controls on their PZ cub seem ultra sensitive? I flew mine this weekend and it seemed like a pretty hair raising experience to get it in the air. Once I did, one of the friggen wheels fell off and almost hit me! Landing with one wheel was a new experience too
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Fort Knox

I am still waiting to get into the air. I have the 2" Great Planes main wheels installed, they are the light weight treaded version. I have a PZ High Pitch prop on it for now. I have APC 8x6, 9x6, 9x4.5 props waiting for me when I am ready. I have added a few stickers to my Cub for a little character. Right now I am trying to come up with a name for the new girl. I always remember hearing that a plane, like a ship, needs to have a name. I am gonna pick a name and get a grapic set up for the nose art. What else...Venom 370P waiting in my parts box, lots of spare parts. I have a Great Planes tailwheel set waiting for me to learn how to put it on.

Can I tape the antenna wire to the bottom of the fuselage? By this I mean running it right up the crease of the fuselage halves and holding it down with clear packing tape. Seems that the same reception would be possible...not sure though.

I still need to foam the front section, I am not gonna fly until that is done. I don't wanna crush the fuselage on my first impact.

Back to the names thing, I would love some suggestions.

I am having a lot of fun strengthening and customizing this plane. I can't wait to get it into the air and see what I can do.

Kyle
Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
hray2

Hi, i have taped the antenna back along the bottom on my Park Zone Decathalon , which has the same radio, and i have flown it as far as i can still see what is doing with no glitches what ever. I foam all my new planes wirh Great Stuff and let it cure a few days before i ever fly it. I also reenforce the front wing hold down dowel with thin plywood glued to the insides. Another thing i do is reenforce the leading edge of the wing with clear packing tape for thoes little dings it will take. Denny
Old 07-06-2006, 11:02 PM
PMDrive1061

So many questions, so little space.

The tail is held on by double-sided tape underneath the plastic clip that holds everything together. There's an upgraded service part now available that has a long tongue that extends down into the empanage and adds a huge amount of stability. If your hobby shop has an older part, you won't get the advantages of the tongue.

As for the electronics, the receiver is held down by a nylon strip with Velcro at either end.

Careful with that Great Stuff. A little goes a long way. Don't ask me how I know. You're almost better off removing the firewall, carefully removing that tape and adding a block of Styrofoam. Use 3M clear plastic tape to tape the halves back together. Just be careful (there's that word again) of that little plastic button that holds the very rear of the tail together. Real delicate, no replacement part available.

As for sending it up without the mods, I say go for it. Get used to how it responds without the modification. The replacement fuse is dirt cheap. Just takes time to reinstall the servos and electronics. Be at least "two mistakes" high before you try anything crazy with it. Bring it in the moment it starts to poop out so you have some power on approach should you need it.

Have fun!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.