Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Yikes!and Gadzooks! Retire the beloved Badius??? Don't toss it out, you'll find times when you'll want to fly it again like the rest of us.
No flying for me today. Wind was up before I was so I just cruised the web looking for brushless motor deals. One to consider is the MpJet from Hobby Lobby.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-motors.htm
I stuffed this one into the Omei and now have tremendous power. Under $70 with planetary gearbox. I'm still waiting for the next big drop in the brushless motor category. In the last 5 months the average price is down around 20%. I'm waiting for another 10% or so. Esc's are next. The new guys are still fighting for aknowledgement. If they don't get it, the price wil fall then stabilize for a while, then everyone will have to price their esc's more competitavly.
It'll be a good summer for tricking out planes.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 PM

Hey John, Stuff a 2 cell lipo in the Badius or the Cub. The Badius stock esc will cut off the lipo at the right voltage.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (3)

check out these tapered nose brushless motors - a perfect fit for the badius ? http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3310 http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3306
Old 05-27-2005, 02:47 PM

Hey All

I Just finished up my AP web sight http://www.aerialstudios.net/ I set it up to be viewed at 800 X 600 (if I set it up for 1028 X 782, it looked real bad at 800 X 600).

I have been looking at this for weeks, so it looks OK to me, but something may look strange to the first time viewer.

So your comments, suggestions and criticism (sprinkled with a little sugar) are sought.

Thanks for the $.02 worth.

Brent
Old 05-27-2005, 03:33 PM

i just got out the 5ch hitec flash 5 i bought last year as i was going to use it for my glow planes only, but my 3d epp trick has such wild elevator throw, Brent suggested using a computer radio to lessen them. just ordered some single conversion crystals for the gws receiver in that plane. when i first started the glow tiger trainer, the throttle servo needed reversing and it started at full throttle !! as i don't want to reverse my electric planes' throttles using the 5ch radio for glow planes is ideal. one more radio to cart around. i've also got a 7ch hitec i bought for my big copter, but that's still in the box. if i'd bought my stuff more gradually, i probably would have only bought 1 or 2 radios. nevermind. also bought some ultra micro servos to use in the gws corsair wing, when i build that, probably next winter. got 4 for $55. getting into prop pitch now i understand about prop size. the badius nutter has a 12x6 on it right now, but that will only run full power static for a few secs. maybe different in the air. but anyway, i've got some 11x4.7 and i did a motor calc on 11x6 and that is about 36oz thrust and 17 amps, which should be ok, so i bought some. be interesting to see what works. no flying till tomorrow at the earliest.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Hey Grounded. Is that Hitec 7 channel a puter tx? If so use it the way Brent describes. Once you get the hang of programing it you will love it. Go break it out of the box and quit messing with the other tx's you have.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Hey Hollywood,

I love it, but what the hell do I know, I justfinished my third screwdiver for happy our.

Waited outside in the florida sun all day for santa again. He was a no show[]

I may have to take him out.

I have to go pick up my mom, she is taking my wife and I to dinner (Itialian)

I can't spll very welll when eye Have ben sipping the juce, so Ill say Cheers!

Happy Pappy Hour
Old 05-27-2005, 04:06 PM

hey Loubud, only trouble is my 3 4 5 and 7 ch radios are all on different channels and i've already bought loads of crystals for the 3 4 and 5 ch radios. i'm was very ignorent last year when i started buying stuff.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:28 PM

Change the crystal on the rx to match the 7 channel and be done with it already. Come on Doug. You're killing me.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:48 PM

Hey Doug, what did you say to Hazy to get him all riled up? He only picks on people when he has a hangover and no chance of that today. He seems quite the happy man. I opoligize in advance to you and the rest of the Badius Boys if he gets near the puter in this shape again. I don't know why he doesn't use his own in the first place.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Hi All,

Slow Stick update.
It is ready to rock and roll but the wind is over 10MPH. Hazy called me a chicken so it's going up.
A report later.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:50 PM

Well that didn't take long. Wind is over 10 mph by a good number. Took off anyway. The SS went up about 20 feet before the wind decided to teach me a lesson. With absolutly no control on my part the SS went towards Hazy's fort. I cut power and nose dived (on purpose) into it. No damge to the SS but Hazy isn't going to be happy with the fort. The roof is gone.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:01 PM

You will get the hang of it, even the wind, Lou!

Hollywood, the web site is "Choice"! Really looks good! Sorry that I don't need any photos!
Old 05-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Thanks Sticks. I just need a little less wind for the maiden.
Randy, this plane is kicks. You're gonna love flying from the front yard. All up weight on mine is 1 1/2 lbs. Everything on it is big. Standard size Airtrinics servos, Hitec 555 rx and a huge iRate 12C 3 Cell 2200 MAH lipo. I could cut the weight by a bunch but Hollywood assures me it'll fly fine. As soon as the wind drops I'll try again.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:15 PM

Hollywood, looking over the site and it looks sweet, very professional. I did find a few, what I thought to be, mistakes. I am however 15 so do what you will with my help.

First, on the home page, first paragraph, "Aerial Studios was founded with the goal of providing it's customers with,(take that comma out) high quality aerial images for a fraction of the cost of using traditional pilots, planes, and photographers. With that goal realized( put a comma there) we can now offer this once very expensive imaging service to the average person."

Then, on the samples page, second paragraph, I think "for ever" is supposed to be one word.

also, on the pricing page, the first paragraph, instead of "this is not a marketing ploy on our part", I'd put "it is not a...", I think it sounds better. Another is the same page, second paragraph: instead of saying "your", you said "you". and, first paragraph, "can not" should be one word.

Im just trying to help you sound more professional, since you've helped me understand almost everything I know about my planes, and the whole electric idea.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:19 PM

Hey Sundance, you little educated whippersnapper. Leave us old guys alone. Just kidding.
Sticks, The esc got here. Perfect. I can run the 3 cell lipos with the FMA cut off. And, the esc on the Slow Stick can go back in the Badius. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:56 PM

Hey Lou,

Stop giving the "Kid" a hard time. He's going to be an editor for NBC "Dateline".

Geez Brent, dot your i's, cross your t's and please use those commas properly on your new web page. [:-]

Tailwind

Old 05-28-2005, 09:02 PM

No problem, Lou. Glad to see you were able could use it!

Old 05-28-2005, 09:40 PM

All right RayRay.
Sundance. I a,po,li,gize.
Sticks. Thanks again.
Ok Dudes and Dudettes.
Slow Stick Maiden notes.
Earlier today I set out for the maiden but the wind beat me up so I waited for the second chance this evening when the wind usually dies down. Hazy was here with a contraption right out of a Vincent Price horror movie that Hazy told me would de-magnetize the trees out front. He turned it on, twisted and turned a few nobs and turned it off. Said that the trees would be safe to fly by and to go aehead and go for the second maiden. Wifey came out to view the event.
I turned everything on, did a preflight test and set the SS in the middle of the street. Full power and she travels about 10 feet and takes off. I figured I might be in a bit of trouble as the SS took off in just a few feet the first time but figured that the demagnetizer Hazy set up might have left a little residue and so I kept going. The SS was about 2 feet off the ground when wifey says "the wind is back up". Doesn't bother me as I have the SS over powered and should be ok. I glanced over my shoulder at Hazy and he had a strange smirk on his face. No matter, the SS is going beserk as I reach the roof top of my neighbor across the street. I dodge the telephone lines and the SS is out of control. It's been out of control since I was at the roof line. No matter, I am about 50 feet up now and try to fly straight. No dice. The SS catches more wind than I can handle and does a nose dive onto the neighbors roof and drops off the back of it. The neighbor kid tells his dad to give my plane back. Dad was out in the back yard when the SS hit. Dad told me that the SS hit the garage roof and then went straight down to the cement patio. He gives me the plane and it is a mess. Broken gearbox, tweaked fuse, destroyed stab and rudder. Lots of repairs need. There are tears and shredding of the rudder. I bring the plane back and Hazy doesn't look at all surprised. I ask him and find out the reason. The contraption will demagnetize the trees but transfers the magnetic power to cement. That explains the poor takeoff and the desire of the SS to find some nice thick piece of cement to lay on. I yell at Haze asking him why he didn't warn me and his response was "I try to help a guy out with his tree problem and this is the thanks I get". He picked up his bottle of Thunderbird and left.
Repairs are scheduled for tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:01 PM

I knew you could depend on Hazy! Sorry, man! Don't go making me feel bad.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:06 PM

That's ok Sticks. You'd think that after all these years of pranks that I'd recognize that look of his. I just thought it was the meds.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:18 PM

I ordered the sopwith camel from Hobbypeople a couple days ago. $19.00! it was on sale with $20 off! Foam with 38 inch wingspan. Could be fun.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:21 AM

well i finally managed to go flying and had mixed luck. the one flight on the f27 was great. then was the maiden of the badius nutter. that was the best flight i've had on the badius. using an aerobird wing, it really was a sportster and zapped around. i was a bit nervous at first and the wind was blowing a bit, but it performed perfectly. the orange wing was so stable and easily visible. having a bit of weight further up front stopped and nose up and down pitching i usually find with the badius. absolutely great. the lipo was plenty hot after though !!

now the bad stuff. the epp split pylon racer again wasn't interested in flying even with it's 280 brushless motor. mounting the lipo (2000mah 2 cell) on the top of the wing wasn't a good idea ap it kept getting hit when the plane flipped over and nosed into the ground. after 3 tries i gave up as i didn't want to damage the lipo and anyway the 4.7x4.7 prop had broke. very dissapointing. i'm going to give it one last try with a s400 which somebody said worked well. i'll put the brushless into the timy reno racer mustang or la7 i've got. the good thing was, instead of the fus breaking as usual, the cf rods i put along it's lenght worked great. no damage.

now the shock horror !! my mega poly winged brushless badius wouldn't fly. it nosed into the ground three times straight away on launch - usually it goes right up. then i noticed the prop shaft was moving side to side. got home and the back of the motor is only soft material, not metal and the rear bearing had been pushed out. bummer.don't know how to fix that, really needs a metal back. also don't know why the badius wouldn't fly apart from the first time, when i noticed the rudder and elevator weren't correct and adjusted them.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:40 AM

just looked at the mega motor and managed to push the rear bearing back on, but i don't know if it's gonna stay on. the backing is like cork - anyone any ideas what to do with this. last time i went flying it did a spectacular nose into the ground and this probably effected the fus. i've just looked at it and the wings aren't straight, so i'm gonna use one of the other fuses i've got and rebuild it. i thought it was funny that the elevator and rudder needed adjusting, so although i can't see it i think the fus isn't straight either. that's the price of increasing performance. also the new prop with it's collet doesn't move to absorb the impact like the stock one- that always moves up the shaft. good prop though
Old 05-29-2005, 08:06 AM

Hey Lou,

I thought the SS was almost indestructable? I would not thjink that much damage would come from rolling off a roof. I think your so called neighbor, picked it up and threw it into the ground. Maybe he jumped up and down on it.

Sorry to hear about it anyways. I am still waiting for Santa to bring my SS.

I think I am going to head up to my club field and see whats going on. I will give my Skimmer another try.

Later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.