Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Yikes! and Gadzooks!!
4, count 'em, 4 warbirds just flew overhead. Old WW2 babies. Had the P-51 look to them. A red letter day.
Gotta go. Bunch of them now.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Loubud

Must be something happening at the Military base. Geez, you'd think it was Memorial Day.
They're up buzzing around. 2 P-51'sm, a ZERO and an unknown. Looked like a P-51 but was painted white so it might be something else.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:49 PM
iflyatcae

Guess what ladies, I started my first job today!!![sm=greedy.gif] Let the money roll in... I can taste the brushlessness. moo hoo ha ha ha.....
Old 05-30-2005, 06:06 PM
CaptainRandy

Ryan,

Congrats on the new job, only 40 years or so to go

Lou have wifey snap a photo of you with you TX and one of those war birds in the sky.

I have to agree on the bats, it's just so coincedental that they gave up right at the same time and right after the Skimmer flight. No biggie, I will try a 2S or 3S lipo and see what happens.

Santa forgot all about me[&o]
Old 05-30-2005, 06:25 PM
afineman

Pappy

I called Sat, never got called back, this is what I think happened.
The LHS forgot to send it 2 Fridays ago, when I called then this week, they said OOPPSS and sent it.
I will go to the LHS tomorrow after work and stand there until they give me an answer.
If you get it tomorrow PM me so I don't go there and make an @$$ out of myself, and if you do get it, see if you can find the date it was shipped.

All

I spent last night repairing the Corsair so I could fly it today. I just got back, I put a bigger prop on the P-51 and it was hotter. I then went to the Corsair.
During the crash it popped the elevator servo off the tape ( good thing I checked), then I snapped part of the foam elevator (taped that back on), a part of me said this is a bad omen

Well it was, do you guys remember the A-10 video, where Howard threw the plane in to the ground, well thats what I did. I broke the motor mount, so it is a 5 min fix, BUT crap, I can't believe I did that

OOHH and thanks all for the positive video and picture comments.

Brent
Old 05-30-2005, 06:59 PM
CaptainRandy

Hollywood,

I will let you know as soon as it arrives

Your Corsair is the BOSS, I love it. I guess I should get one some day. Your flying, well I can't say enough. You should send that video to GWS.

Thanks Buddy
Old 05-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Loubud

Waay to go Sundance.
Hey Pappy, next time one flies by close enough, I'll do that. A couple of years ago, an f_18 did a fly by a littl over 200 feet up. Directly over the farm. It came back around and did a loop. Awesome looking at those after burners. A bit loud too tho that came later. That was one big bad bird. At the start of the war on terror, the military base near here had a lot of activity. Edwards Airforce base is to the north of me and the base near me is a small Nave and Seabee base. It may be small but the war toys they have are big.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:11 PM
CaptainRandy

Lou,

I know what you mean. I used to love to watch the F-14 Tomcats taking off an aircraft carrier while we were refeuling them off the coast of Viet Nam. The Harriers were also very cool to watch. It was very funny that they were launching the jets while we were pumping fuel, but the smoking lamp ws out aboard our ship.

I saw a video of a guy once that showed him with his RC TX box and then you heard a roar and the camera paned up to this F-14 screaming by. it was really neat.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:27 PM
RayRay

Hi all,

What was I thinking?

Happy Memorial Day
to all those who served this great country, especially my Dad, Uncles and
Captain Randy "P". Smith

Flying notes:
After a family BBQ today, I invited my sisters, brother, nieces, Mom / Dad and of course my wife and Prince Joseph to the park to watch me fly the Stryker. (Ol' Badius is patiently waiting for a motor and "Sammy Skyhawk" still needs CF Rods in his wings). So off we go to my usual flying field to show the family where all of my time has been spent for the last 10 months.

I have to tell you fellas, its amazing how a RC airplane can bring a family close together for so much fun. They were impressed with the aerobatics (especially the inverted loops and rolls) that this little plane is capable of. They were all a little nervous with the low passes which got really close to them, except by 5 year old son who screamed with excitement. Four batts, no incidents, a Great Day!

Hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day.

Take care,

Tailwind
Old 05-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Loubud

Hey Capt. That story reminds me of the vid I saw with a 10 year old doing monster tricks with a heli.
RayRay, good going with the Stryker. Only amazing part was that they all wanted to go.
Happy Memorial Day all.
My thanks also to those that served and are serving. War is ugly but some things are uglier. Hopefully are men and women in the services will help change all of that.
Happy flying.
Lou
Old 05-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

no wind day = pigi flying. got to the glider club and realized i'd forgot the f27, which i always warm up on. anyway, flew the pigi, great fun, a bit slow rolling, but otherwise amazing fun. flew the badius nutter. i'd changed the prop from 11.6 to 10x5 because i didn't like the bat getting so hot, and it flew really nicely. could smell some burning, so i landed it halfway but it wasn't the plane. this is one sportster, can't wait to get a pylon racer going. tried twice to launch the beast. first time turned 90 degrees and hit the car. missed the dog, didn't damage the plane and no dent in the car, in order of importance, although there's a lovely blue and white mark on the car now. anyway the rudder was not centered, so i adjusted the clevis and the third attempt i got it airbourne. fun flight. walked the dog up the field and saw the local fox. that and the cuckoos reminded me of England (no bloody rice fields) nice morning. should get the aerobird extreme wing tomorrow and then i'll decide on whether to make another badius, one better at gliding. going to try a s400 motor in the split with a 3 cell 1200mah lipo and something to protect it. if that doesn't fly, it's going in the loft waiting for technology to improve until it will fly!!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Pilot Ray

Hi Capt. Randy,
I am having the same problem with the 1100mah battery as everyone else. I think grounded in japan and Loubud is correct about those batteries not holding up. I am currently using my heavily used 1100mah battery in my Sky Hawk plane and it definitely just doesn’t hold the right amount of volts after charge up. When this 1100mah battery is charged as good as can be, my Sky Hawk plane motor will only rev up to about 3/4 the rpm’s as compared to using my stock 600mah batteries. Fortunately, even with lower battery power the Sky Hawk plane will still climb pretty easily on takeoff and I can still generally get 10 minutes more of flight time than when using the stock battery. It seems that my 1100mah battery got worst after sitting for 3 months this past winter, so I tend to think either one cell is lagging in charge up or the battery is pretty much spent already.

Thanks,
Pilot Ray
Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 AM
CaptainRandy

Piot Ray,

I think we all have the same general opinion of the bats, so I am going to give the lipo a try.
The only reason I don't like the lipos, is the slow charge rate. I will just have to charge the night before.

Thanks for chimming in.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:18 PM
afineman

[&o][&o] Pappy [&o][&o]

The package appears to be hopelessly lost.

Hobby shop has a bill #, DHL said no such # is in their system.

LHS, said swing by and we'll refund your money[&o][&o][&o][&o].

Santa feels like a SCUM BAG, Dude, I'm sorry, I'll make it up to you.

I'm sure I'll walk by something that will whisper RANDY again.

Now watch this, I'll post this, go get my money back, and DHL will deliver it tomorrow.

Later ALL

Brent
Old 05-31-2005, 06:36 PM
CaptainRandy

Hey Hollywood,

Don't let it bug you, at least they are willing to refund your money.

You don't have to make up anything, like always, it the thought that counts.

Not that waiting outside in the rain and lightning storms for a week weren't fun.

DHL gives a number and then says it doesn't exist, Right, I believe that one

Gotta Love that Fed-Ex Ha Ha!

If I order one, which motor should I get?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Loubud

Hey Pappy. WWW.hobbypeople.net has them on sale for $27. With motor. Mine are the 400 size but I think the 350 would be better. Similar performance with the 350 using a 2 cell lipo instead of a 3 cell.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:56 PM
afineman

Randy

Lou is correct the 350 version is the BA!!s, all the power you will ever need and with a 2,00 Mah Lipo will fly for 45 min.

I still fell like SUCH a heal, I feel like the uncle who promised to take the kids to the amusement park, only to get drunk the night before and not get up till noon.

Randy, get a Slow Stick, you'll LOVE IT.

Brent
Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM
AgCat1982

Hey guys. Computer crash![:@] On just long enough to tell you. I will catch up later on the messages. Got my stryker fuse in, but, no hatches. Got the MP Jet AC 26/45-20 in today also. Gotta get off and check out stuff on computer, recoveries, backups, etc.

Back later

Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 AM
AgCat1982

Capt, the extra hot batteries told the tale! You can check the volts on each cell to tell if there is a single bad one. One bad one will screw up the whole pak. I had that happen several times and just replaced the bad cell. When you charge the pak each cell should have almost exactly the same volts. May be off by .01 v and be ok. If you have one bad cell, when it discharges completely it shuts down the rest of the pak, for the most part.

I am still having computer problems. I am using wifeys lap top computer at the moment. Looks like I am going to have to get a new motherboard and cpu.

Tailwind, I got my Stryker fuse today! Surprised me! I thought it would be the end of the month. Now I have to wait for Atlanta Hobby to send the hatches I ordered. They are now the slow ones. I can't wait to try this thing out. I am going to put one of the BP 21 brushless motors on it when everything gets here.

My heart goes out to everyone who has lost someone in defense of our country! Those are the people who gave all there was to give and it sickens me to see certain groups who slam them![:@] My dad and two uncles were in WWII and came home. They were the lucky ones. My grandmother could have had a very bad day, like some did back then.[]

edit: Sorry, Capt. I, too, recommend the 350! That little motor is really fine! You can put a heat sink on it and use 8 cells with no problem and fly like a bat outa you know where! I used that setup to fly my first homebuilts. Burned out a motor now and then, but, they were cheap. I never had any luck with the GWS s400 EPS setup. I have my son flying with 7 AAA cells in his SS and flying with authority!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:29 AM
CaptainRandy

Roger,

The AAA Cells that you mentioned, are they like the original Badius ones? I have a few of them, so if they would work, I would have a use for them. I will also get a couple of 2S lipos for it. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:33 AM
AgCat1982

That, I don't know about, Capt. However, those are what I used in my badius. Mine were actually RayOvac 900 mah NiMH's from the great and powerful wizard of WalMart. I made up my own paks. They aren't cheap, but, they had lots of power for their size and could be recharged faster than others. Said so right on the box! With their charger you were supposed to be able to charge these things in about 5-10 minutes! I charged them in 15 minutes and used the heck out of them. Only problems were with cells I over heated while learning to solder cells together for paks.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
My Diamond RC lipos just got here. They are cute little buggers. Made in Korea so I don't know the quality but I'm sure they work better than nothin. Flight report when weather agrees.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Airbourne in Japan

does anyone want a Hitec CG-340 Peak Charger to 16 Cells brand new for $5 plus shipping, probably about $7. cost about $40. i bought 2 in combos when i first started buying planes and will never use it. for details see chargers at the hobby lobby website. email or pm me if you want it
Old 06-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Loubud

Hi Doug,
I don't need the charger but since you don't use the good tx, how about sending me that?
Kidding. Break the good tx out and start using it. Don't make me come over there.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Airbourne in Japan

hey Loubud, don't worry, i'm going to build the big heli over the winter and then start using the 7ch radio. promise !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.