Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hi All,

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY
to all you Fathers out there

Just in case you guys are wondering what Gacier means by "puckering adventure", I'll give you Glacier's eloquent definition:
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

A certain part of your anatomy will squeaze so tightly together, we've named it the "PUCKER FACTOR" Prangs are rated on the pucker factor. On a really high scoring one, you will walk funny for the rest of the day.

BJ - What kind of plane is that in your last post? Great paint job [sm=thumbup.gif] Did you paint it yourself?

Well, I'm starting Father's Day with some Stryker flights.

Take care,

Tailwind
Old 06-19-2005, 11:39 AM

[Hey brent can you make the pics bigger on the shunda esc please
Old 06-19-2005, 04:06 PM

Doug, that a GWS Stearman PT-17. It's something like $51 or so for the slope glider version. Not painted. To get the one painted and decals like mine you have to get the $80 version.[:@]

Remember, that radial is a kit that I added later! Theirs is kinda sick!

GG, you're right on, on the safety stuff! We don't need to slack off on that! I agree that some of those guys were going from complete newbie to sonic blasters and Buck Rogers in only minutes of training(??)!!!!! It's similar to the newbies who have never flown and want a big Mustang as their trainer!

This is your day, all you fathers!!!!! Wifey and I are going out to eat with our two young ones!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

RayRay,
I guess I should also explain what PRANG means also.
Per my chaps on the other side of the big pond. A prang is when plane and ground meet in an unplanned way. Known over here as a crash or thud.
Plane is what we here in PA call a Heinz 57, (local co that has 57 varieties), Lets see wings/ailerons are cut down Strykers, Fuselage was part of some kinda Walmart foamy. tail was hand built, motor was spare for Cub. Canopy was hand formed and sparyed black inside. All glassed together. I painted all but the stars.

My Pucker factor came on ROG, looked like a stone skipping across a pond as it built up speed.
Wanted to fly but took forever for fan to get it there.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:59 PM
My Feedback: (3)

hey Agcats, was the gws p17 easy to build and were the two wings held on / together pretty well on the kit ? i've got a .32 bip but i wont be building that any time soon so i'd like to get an electric bip. i'm definately going to get a gws p40, but i think it's a new plane and not out yet.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi All,

OK,OK So my plane knows how to PRANG! Probability better than most! Took the Brushless Badius out again this morning. Got over 30 minutes on the first lipo w/ 2 landings that would make Pappy proud (Less than 6 steps away). [sm=thumbup.gif] [sm=thumbup.gif]Very little wind so I could do most anything I wanted to try.

Midway into the 2nd Lipo I experienced desert syndrome. (started seeing things) Wound up with a few near misses for no reason at all. I kept losing orientation and then the Prang occurred! Loss a 9g servo, ?? What's up with that??? Also a prop pin.

GG - Thanks a lot for the Safety info and PUSH, nice planes to by the way!!! (support from a Newbie)

Happy Fathers Day to All!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 07:55 PM

Troublecar24

I gave Howard the ESC moments after I took the picture/fixed it, I don't have any more AB ESC's to photo, if you saw something you need further explanation, ask. If you can, take some digitalis of your ESC. e-mail them to me and I will highlight what parts to add extra solider.

All

Howard, Kyle and i flew for 3.5 hours today, we maiden 2 planes. The Jenny I got Howard for Xmas, and Kyle's E-Flight Tribute.

We got in-flight video as well as on-ground video, in some cases 1 cam recording the other.

I trashed the Spitfire again, got some good in-flight/ground video of the Corsair, got some video of the Formosa, and got some really good in-flight video of Howard's Magister.

There is SSOO much good video, it will take a while for me to post it all, SSOO here we go again.

This raw movie is 692 meg, I will copy it to 4 CD's, I will send 1 to Doug and 1 to Howard, the other 2 are for you guys,

Here is the deal, I will forward the other 2 CD's to the first 2 who PM me their address, you ( if you can ) make a copy and forward it to the next 2 who PM you, and so on and so forth Hee Hee Hee.

Every thing will be in the mail Monday morning.

Later All ( Hot tub time ( looking for another Priceless moment) Hee Hee Hee)

Brent
Old 06-19-2005, 08:38 PM

Well, guess what I finally got. O YEA!!!! my bp21 and esc!!! woooo hoooooo!!!. It was my bday present that I had to order, hehe. Had the re-maiden on the badius today, first badius flight in about 5 months [X(]. My fuse is soooo jam packed with stuff. Im afraid the lipo might get hurt. And the darn thing was sooooo off balance, I had to put a bunch of lead on the nose. Pretty darn ugly. and it still was about a pinky's width off towards the tail[]. But flew anyway.

didnt fly quite as well as if it would if it had been balanced, but it was still good. had two 2 minute flights, and one 10 minute flight. the 2 were bombing runs. it worked!!! thats pretty cool seeing crap drop from ol badius. After gettin used to flyin for 4 minutes and landin, my 10 minuter seemed like eternity. I brought it down cause we had stuff to do, but it didnt seem like it lost any juice. did break the cheapo prop on landin tho[:@].

now i gots to mount the bp21 on the cobra and get into the world of 3-D! then slap it on the firebat and have some high speed scale flight. All in time.

Peece

and happy fathers day to y'all
Old 06-19-2005, 08:44 PM

monday morning flying !! no wind and hot. no golf motherF*****rs (their new name). f27 first, nice flight, got a bit far away at the end and lost it into some bushes. no damage. then the parkzone mustang. been looking forwards to flying / mastering this plane. launched it and it spun left into the ground, breaking the prop. didn't have a spare so that was that. i was trying the f27 technique, but with 3/4 throttle and full up elevator and i think it tip stalled. will try again later in the week, with a spare prop in the flight box. then the himax gb badius nutter. launched that and it suddenly lost power and the motor / prop sounded funny. landed it. i'd propped down to a 9x6 as the bat gets really hot with the 10x5 and this was the first flight with the new prop. thought the collet had come loose, but it was the allen key holding the big gear to the shaft. literally every screw has come loose on this motor since i've been flying it, but i suppose it is fairly high performance. then the badius with the motor max that Brent kindly repaired with poly wings and a 9x4.5 folder. flew great, this being that motor's first successful flight. i think you've enhanced the performance Brent, as the badius only did 5 faster climbs to height and the bat never used to get hot. difficlut to see the plane in the clear blue sky. finished off with the f27. nice morning. should maiden the glow plane this week.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:16 PM

Doug

I'm glad you finally got to use the the MotorMax rebuild , I'm glad it works good for you, OOHH yesterday ( Saturday ) I got 2 CD's from you, Thanks, I'll listen to them tomorrow.

ALL

I am SSOO Pi$$ed, I spent the last 120 min ripping a movie, only to have it come out to be a 720 meg file ( even though I asked for 680), this is bigger than 1 CD, SSOO I'm off to rip again to the it down to 1 CD size, SO far Carl is #1, who wants to get the other?

Later ALL

Brent
Old 06-19-2005, 10:26 PM

Doug, the PT-17 is as easy to build as most. There was nothing difficult about it that I can think of. It comes with plastic struts for the upper and lower wing which work just fine. There is a hint needed here, tho. There are sixteen round plastic disc's that the struts are attached to. These are slick as glass on the bottom and are to be glued to the foam wing and fuse with epoxy. Any stress will cause them to pop off and you lose wing support. The fix is to cut into the bottom of the plastic disc's leaving burred edges for the glue to grip. A lot of cuts with a razor or use a dremel tool and cutting bit to score grooves in them. Then scratch or cut similar into the fuse and wing mounting spots. Now glue them together and they will stay! After doing this I never had one to pop lose!

There is an upgrade for the struts if you want. It makes the plane more stable when trying to loop or, really, anything more than straight smooth flying. The plastic struts are strong and will not break, but they allow the wings to flex a little when a little stress is put on them. I ordered wooded struts to replace them with and it fixes that along with making the plane look better. These wooden struts are laser cut and cost only $5 plus shipping. I will give you the web site if you get the plane and want them.

Personally, I loved how the PT-17 flew with my Motor Max 400F and 11.1v Li-Po. I used a 3:1 gear ratio using the gearbox that comes with the full version of the stearman.

Sorry for rambling on!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:10 PM

Thanks Hollywood,

ORIGINAL: afineman

Here is the deal, I will forward the other 2 CD's to the first 2 who PM me their address, you ( if you can ) make a copy and forward it to the next 2 who PM you, and so on and so forth Hee Hee Hee.
So, as the deal goes. I'll make Two copies around Wednesday and they will be sent to the first 2 PMs I get.

SS notes: Have to return the 350 motor tomorrow. It is intermittent at mid and full throttle. Tomorrows planned maiden may have to wait a day or two[sm=frown.gif]
Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 AM

Hey All

Carl and Roger are the first to get it, PM them if you want a copy.

1st half is all in-flight video 80% Howard's Magister, the other, Well imagine you were siting in the cockpit of my Corsair, that is where I put the cam[8D]

The second half is The Jenny, The Tribute, the Magister, The Formosa, and the Corsair, this was all ground video, and YES Kyle caught the Spitfire SPLAT.

You know it's funny, I bring the Formosa to almost every flying session, we never film it nor do I post about it, but as you will see this is a wild plane, Kyle got some good video of it Finally , as you will see I have MAX throws on this plane, and I use every cm too.

Later All
Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Hi all,

Well, the pile of messages here seem to grow rapidly... let's see if I can hold up with you guys...

I had very disappointing results with the battery packs that i had for my AB, I hadn't flown my AB for a while and thought it was worth to exchange the 27 MHz receiver with a 35 MHz receiver and use my own radio. Well, power was very disappointing so I decided to remove all electrics (not counting servo's) and replace them with new stuff. The motor was replace with a [link=http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=183]QRP motor[/link]. The esc was exchanged with a Jet 350 I had here doing nothing else then just getting old. Changed everything to deans style connectors.

Yestrerday I charged all batteries and went to my parents house for celebrating fathers day. Power was great now! Had a couple of nice flights...

I hope to do some more flights tonight... if wind stops blowing as hard as it does now. If I can find my modified aiptek cam, I will see if i can get a couple of pictures..

Thanks for reading...

jd

Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 AM

well i've decided to give you the lowdown of my hanger and stock of planes:

glow

tiger trainer - .40 engine, waiting to be maidened
f86 - really nice kyosho d/f. stock engine supposed to be a bit feeble
p38 - kit, twin .28 motors, profile model
graupner giles - .46 motor, really nice aerobatic plane
spitfire - .90 motor, should smoke the japs !!
waco - .32 motor, biplane of course, 1m wing

electric

gws corsair - waiting to be maidened
trick 800 - small 3d plane, plenty of trouble with the stock control rods and other stuff.
badius stock - going into storage for 8 years until my son begins
badius nutter - himax + gb, good for 35-40 mph, great fun, aerobird wing
badius mega 12 turn - poly wing, now boring to fly but good fun in wind
badius motor max - flew today, going to try straight wings with full span ailerons
f27 stock - great, still learning on it, fly it every time
f27 100mph mega motor - winter 2005/6 build. first seriously fast plane
thunder tiger windstar - 2m rudder + elevator - the 'beast' - heavy and fun. great thermaller
pigi - vertical TO great 3d plane, rolls a bit slow
parkzone mustang - good plane, just learning
cub - lovely wooden 1.2m kit 2005/6 build mp jet motor & gb
zagi xt - building, with 2x esskey (reversed motor max). should be fun
pc-9 - fun plane 2005/6 build
su27 - pusher jet using a 3 turn motor, 70 mph ??
wild cat - next to build, a wattage plane similar to Loubud's mad dog
easy oriole - 1.6m glider with ailerons. going to run stock brushed motor 2005/6 build
ripmax sirus - 1.6m glider, brushless 2006/7 build
ripmax spitfire - 1.2m wingspan, big axi motor, 2005/6 build. can't wait
la7 - russian warbird, nice model, too nice to fly ? doesn't need much building. foam
eurofighter typhoon - twin 480 brushless df. nutter plane 2007/8 build
kyosho vf1000 - nice df 2005/6 build
turbovector - another wattage plane, df trainer. 2005/6 build
gws c130 - going to put 4x280 brushed motors in
gws c47 - 2x6v s400 motors, should move
reno mustang racer - tiny, not sure about motor, nice model
f18 - in the post, fast d/f 2006/7 build
stinger - on order for 3 months from nsp. fastish pylon with big wing
minit katana - wood and cf 3d plane, not yet out. should be fun
gws p40 - not yet out ?
hyperion cap - going to order, only $180 with brushless motor & esc. looks great

well ther you are. I AM STUPID (about aeroplanes).
Old 06-20-2005, 12:06 PM

MY GOD, MAN!!!!!!!!!! You DO have an airforce!!!!!

Are you still thinking about the PT-17? It's really fun to fly! I enjoyed mine until it got shot down at the club on my first day there! I had repaired that thing so many times that there was almost as much weight in epoxy as foam! For real!!!!! It could be repaired, but it is getting so heavy that I just want a new one some day.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:11 PM

jd, looks as tho your upgrades did the job! Good to see people flying!!!

Hey guys.......................................:
The Cub flies!!!!!!!!!!!

It WAS tail heavy!!! Thats all!!!!

Old 06-20-2005, 12:26 PM

congrats on getting the cub flying Agcats. not sure about the pt-17 as i thought i wouldn't be able to use the esskey motors on the zagi, but it looks like i can. maybe one day...
Old 06-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Doug,

You are not stupid. You only have 37 planes! Now if you bought 100 planes I would agree with you.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, here is my hanger:

(1) Badius #1 - Stock (used for spares).
(2) Badius #2 - Stock (used for spares)
(3) Badius #3 - S400, Poly wings
(4) ARF Badius - S400. Straight wings. This is my "$13.50 prize possession".
(4) F-27 Stryker #1 - completely destroyed fuselage (mostly epoxy), no electronics.
(5) F-27 Stryker #2 - Stock. Transposed electronics from Stryker #1.
(6) Omei 2000 - work in progress
(7) Sky Hawk - 380 motor, HS-81 servos, Hitec 555 Rx.
(8) F-27 Stryker #3 - Planning on using electronics from Sky Hawk on this build.

Not bad for 11 months
It would be fun to hear about everyone else's hanger.

Thanks,

Tailwind
Old 06-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Doug,….. I’m speechless……You are going to have a he!! of a lota fun, for a he!! of a long time!!![sm=lol.gif]

Sticks, Great News, Please settle yourself down now cause we want to hear the flight details….ALL OF THEM!!![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

I had a great day out flying with my dad. We only flew my -BAB (Brushless Accipter Badius) Wind was very calm again. Can you believe this… I had a trainer cord and helped my dad fly my plane. That is a good system but I don’t consider myself so skilled to be labeled a flight teacher yet. No major damage just a lot of good flying.

RayRay, I didn’t know you too have only been flying for 11 months!! Congrats to ya!![sm=thumbup.gif]
(nice hangar too).

Wondering what Pappy is up to? I’m still looking to see how that balloon drop goes.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Yikes! and Gadzooks!! Doug, you need to start building some of those still in the box planes.
Sticks. Way to go. It figures it would be something simple to fix.

Now for my hangar
Badius #1 -beyond repair
Badius #2 -beyond repair
Badius #3 -New. Permax S400 7.2 volt, stock servos from Badius #1, FM electronics. 1100 bats
Wattage Mad Dog- Good flights=0 Bad flights =3, on the shelf awaiting parts and brushless set.
Graupner Freeflight "Slipper" -Heavily modified to electric flier. Currently lost in the neighborhood.
Zagi XT In the box waiting for someone that can fly.
2 Guillos freeflight stick planes. One in the box the other being converted to electric flier.
Slow Stick #1. -My plane
Slow Stick #2. -Visitors plane
Omei -Brushless MP Jet. Unlimited vertical. Exceptionally powerful.
Aerofly -Sailplane. 8 foot wingspan. Brushless. Currently at the Arkansas testing grounds.
T-Rex heli -Brushless 3D. Way beyond my skill level
Balsa Products $29 FM 4 channel TX for SS #2
Airtronics VD8000 8 channel TX for me
18 broken props
5 S400's that are toast
Bunch of lipos
Hobbico Accu Cycle Elite charger
1 good wife

Old 06-20-2005, 03:14 PM

Hi Louie,

How the hell are ya? Now that's a hanger, you ol' h----n.

Had some nice flights with the Stryker today. I'll have the Badius back in the air by the end of the week.

Tailwind.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:24 PM

Hi Ya Rabid,
Ooops. RayRay
I've been having brain freezes off and on modifying the free flight plane. I added elevator, working rudder and full function ailerons so I can have flaps or Spoilers. I'm putting in a S280 and gearbox so that it might actually fly. I'm finding it hard to keep the weight down so the next one might be brushless. I added width to the wing and tail feathers to help with the added weight and I'll have to guess where the CG should be. I'll try nose heavy to start.

SS#1 notes
I felt like flying this morning and I'll be dipped, the wind was below 10mph. I flew around a while and then started to practice my Howard landings. I did 2 touch and go tho they weren't near as gracefull as Howrds was. I then did 4 takeoffs and landings that were all good and the last flight I screwed up but I actually caught the thing. Surprised the heck out of me. I need to get better at that.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Hey Lou. Fun little turds, aren't they!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:11 PM

Hi Rog,
They are. I went into a nose dive from a couple hundred feet up to see if I could here the wings flap and make noise. I did and it was sorta cool. I imagine from up high enough you could make it self destruct. Me thinketh I'll check the SS out before the next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.